Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
nflo555
AF Newbie

Bilstein Shock Absorbers

To those who can help,

I'm in the process of researching shocks for my 2000 4x4 Blazer and I'm looking at Bilstein. From what I can tell they are an excellent shock and won't hurt the pocket book. Less than $220 for 4 at autopartswarehouse.com with a 1 year warranty.

I assumed my Blazer came stock with AC Delco shocks but when I was inspecting my brake pads I noticed the stock shocks are Bilstein. They are not aftermarket since I bought the car new.

I then looked at the list of RPO codes and found a code (8X3) that listed Bilstein shocks but that code is not listed on my glove box lid.

However, I did notice an RPO code of Z85 listed on my glove box lid and it's description is "Chassis package, increased capacity". I've also seen it listed as "Firm ride, high payload".

When I called the local Chevy dealership, the rep told me (after giving him the last 8 digits of my VIN) the Bilstein's were stock shocks and should be the only one's used due to the chassis package (Z85). He also mentioned if I went with a more comfort ride shock it would affect performance in a negative way.

The reason for the new shocks: the current shocks are 5 yrs old and for the last 3 years I've noticed a pretty stiff ride (mainly in the rear) and a lot of vibration over bumpy roads. In addition, there is a stretch of turnpike that has a lot of "humps" spaced out about 30 yards or so and after hump on the up swing of the Blazer, the body of the Blazer pushes left. Doesn't affect the steering.

I would rather put like KYB or a more comfort ride shock on the rear and put new Bilstein's on the front.

After the long winded novel, my question to those who can help is:
1) Should I stay with Bilstein all around?
2) Should I go with Bilstein on the front and a comfort shock on the rear?
a) If comfort shock in the rear, what brand and model?

My dad recomends Gabriel brand from Autozone for the rear shocks. Not to sure of the quality of these shocks though.

Thank you for your time.

2002 Z71 Suburban
nflo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
wolfox
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wolfox
Re: Bilstein Shock Absorbers

If you are not replacing the shocks with what came on the truck from the factory, you're tossing away a good $800 or so in just suspension packages that left the factory floor. DON'T mix and match different shocks when the suspension was specifically built around the firmer Blistiens. If you don't like the ride, you have to swap out not just shocks, but springs, sway bars and bushings too - adding up to MUCH more than just replacing the shocks that you take out with ones that belong there in the first place. Ride stability, tire longevity and safety/balance of the vehicle, especially when braking can be compromised SERIOUSLY when you do go your proposed route.

If you yanked Blisteins out of your Z28 packaged Blazer, PUT Blistein's back in. If you don't like the ride, why are you driving a truck in the first place? These are trucks and they handle and ride like trucks. You can soften the ride up to be more like a passenger car, but IMO, it makes these things more prone to stability problems at highway speeds. I replaced the Blistiens on my '95 with....you guessed it, Blistiens. Still rides like she's gonna take your teeth out, but the overall handling and stability through the bumps and turns at highway speeds improved vastly. She corners much flatter than before, when she had tired, worn out shocks in her. In short:

Put back in exactly what you took out on any Z equipped vehicle, or prepare to "downgrade" the rest of the suspension to go with your much softer shocks. It totally throws the balance and safety of the truck out the window if you start mixing and matching suspension parts.

Oh, and I wouldn't let a Gabriel shock come any closer to my truck than I could throw one, IMO. Stick with the Blistiens, you won't regret it.
wolfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
OverBoardProject
Banned

I like matching brands, since every brand has their own method of valving.

I do like Bilstein shocks and think that they are a very good quality product.

However I would take KYB over Bilstein any day of the week.Just because they make a preimum quality product at an affordable price.

Gabriel is a good lower end shock, but again KYB is the better quality for the money.

I recently looked for KYB shocks for 1 applicaton and they didn't make them. I think that it was a S10 model. So don't be suprised if they aren't available for your Blazer.
OverBoardProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
the87hyper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to the87hyper Send a message via Yahoo to the87hyper
Re: Re: Bilstein Shock Absorbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverBoardProject
I like matching brands, since every brand has their own method of valving.

I do like Bilstein shocks and think that they are a very good quality product.

However I would take KYB over Bilstein any day of the week.Just because they make a preimum quality product at an affordable price.

Gabriel is a good lower end shock, but again KYB is the better quality for the money.

I recently looked for KYB shocks for 1 applicaton and they didn't make them. I think that it was a S10 model. So don't be suprised if they aren't available for your Blazer.
The truck was designed to have BILLSTIENS, mixing and matching and trying different off brands is just wrong. Wolf fox could not have said it better. If you hate the ride get a car. These trucks are designed to run a certain shock. If your going to mix and match or go with other brands your compromising saftey, handeling and much more. Stick with the bilstiens
JL AUDIO 10W6
BOSE SPEAKERS 6X9, 4X6
PARNELLI JONES DIRT GRIP 31 X 10.5 X 15
K&N FIPK COLD AIR INTAKE
APC CARBON FIBER TAIL LIGHTS

the87hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
OverBoardProject
Banned

Well with that logic there are so many shock companies that offer lousy products, and should never be allowed to operate.

Every company offers something a little different, and that gives us the choice to customize our ride the way that we want. If they weren't safe they would never be allowed to sell their product

I guess that Free speach and freedome of choice don't exist any more
Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
nflo555
AF Newbie

Wolfox,

That was the answer I was looking for.

How many miles/years did you get out of your original set of Bilstein's?

Should I expect to get 5 or more years out of them before the ride goes bad?

2002 Z71 Suburban
nflo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
wolfox
AF Enthusiast

I do not know if they were ever replaced before I got the truck. I got my Blazer second hand from a young lady that just got bored with it. All I know is that it has had work done on the CPI, oxy sensors and the like - the usual consumables the rig goes through in addition to a rebuilt transmission. Oh, and it had a Meineke muffler on it too, got reciepts for all of that work as well in the folder. But I digress:

I didn't know the state of the shocks or wether they were replaced previously, but I did not like the wheel hop I was getting, especially when braking on rough surfaced roads or railroad tracks. I would hear the tires chirping when this would happen, and a bit of a squeal when going about turns in regular traffic when braking, yadda, yadda. I got sick of it, so I swapped the shocks after a little research into what was already in there from the factory. Turns out it was Blisteins, and a mechanic buddy with connections to GM parts and service got them in for me for a song. I paid $150 per set of shocks (all 4 - I needed to clarify that) and and additional $60 for him to get them in. Man, the truck is ROCK stable. Still rides as rough as they come, but the hops, chirps and squeals all went away. The suspension remains square and flat even during spirited handling and lane changing through rush hour on the highway.

The "At home" mechanic can easily check for if and when shocks need to be replaced. Hop the bumpers. Seriously...grab a bumper and start pushing up and down with the intent to make the truck hop up and down. When it's REALLY going - let go and let the truck settle. If she settles in 3 or more bounces, or comes to rest at a funny angle, time to replace those shocks. If she comes to rest in a bounce or two, she's good to go for a while yet. I did this test before swapping out the Blistiens for another set of Blistiens, and she took 5 bounces to come to a rest. Terrible. Utterly terrible.

EDIT: Spelling and clarification. Yeah....that's it. Where's my coffee mug?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
wolfox
AF Enthusiast

Oh, no, there is nothign stopping anyone from doing whatever they want with their trucks. Remember that I qualified what I said earlier with, "You have to swap other suspension components if you want to soften the ride in *addition* to softer shocks" Paraphrasing of course.

The combination of components in a lackadazical, total disregard to personal, let alone traffic safety is what gets my nuts cracked. There are a few key areas to ANY vehicle where one should not dink around in:

Fuel Delivery
Suspension
Brakes
Tries

Guess which area this conversation falls into? So I have to pipe up, especially when a well meaning person with little expreience asks a question. I was just trying to illuminate the way before we got really mired in the technical ins and outs over this one. I built a jacked up, 2.5 foot traveling suspension on one of my Jeeps, and it took MANY moons of research to figure out how to do it right. Because on your way to the trail - you have to drive through traffic.

Quote:
Well with that logic there are so many shock companies that offer lousy products, and should never be allowed to operate.

Every company offers something a little different, and that gives us the choice to customize our ride the way that we want. If they weren't safe they would never be allowed to sell their product

I guess that Free speach and freedome of choice don't exist any more
Old 11-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
OverBoardProject
Banned

Your not the one nthat I was directing that at wolfox.

I've built up a couple of Rally cars before rally racing became cool, and I was using KYB struts in them when everyone else was using Bilstein struts.
I never had any probllems, and the cars all had their good and bad points in extreme conditions.

When it comes down to it it's really the driver that makes the real difference, not the shocks.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #10
the87hyper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to the87hyper Send a message via Yahoo to the87hyper

Quote:
Your not the one nthat I was directing that at wolfox.

I've built up a couple of Rally cars before rally racing became cool, and I was using KYB struts in them when everyone else was using Bilstein struts.
I never had any probllems, and the cars all had their good and bad points in extreme conditions.

When it comes down to it it's really the driver that makes the real difference, not the shocks.
Overboardproject, all i was doing was agreeing with wolfox. The truck was engineered to have them on it. I built and race sprint cars.. how does this relate to what were talking about. race car vs. street truck isnt comparing apples to apples. No disrespect meant, i have my opinion and your entitled to yours.
JL AUDIO 10W6
BOSE SPEAKERS 6X9, 4X6
PARNELLI JONES DIRT GRIP 31 X 10.5 X 15
K&N FIPK COLD AIR INTAKE
APC CARBON FIBER TAIL LIGHTS

the87hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #11
hunter01
AF Regular

Last week I replaced all four shocks on my 2002 Blazer with 50,000 miles on the odometer. I drive to work over mountains on a parkway that has several hairpin turns that most drivers take at 60 to 70 mph. I don't know if they were worn out or not but with the stock Bilsteins I was getting way too much body roll in the turns.
I installed KYB Monomax shocks at $55 each and am very happy with the ride. Much better than before.
hunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #12
BlazerBoyLT98
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlazerBoyLT98 Send a message via Yahoo to BlazerBoyLT98

I have Edlebrock Performer IAS shocks, You want to talk about stiff! I don't think I have any body lean what so ever! It is like riding on rails. Handles great ont eh highway, sharp corners, off road, the snows, but sucks ass on regular paved roads that have taken a beaten. I swear my bad back stems from this truck!
2 JL Audio 12" Subs Sealed JL Audio Box
Coustic 400 Watt Class D Mono Amp
Pioneer Head Unit 50X4 MP3, WMA, AAC Super Tuner
Polk DB750 6.5" all around
Yankees Suck!!!!!!!!
BlazerBoyLT98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #13
Simtech3
AF Newbie

02 Blazer

I just purchased a used 2002 Red 4 DR Blazer 2x4 from a dealer with 57885k miles.
The blazer is fully loaded with Leather interior, Electic doors and windows, pretty much all the bells and whistle, it even came with a Kenwood 6 disk changer installed. My question, I think the blazer came from the factory with Bilstein shocks. I have the extended warrenty but it does not cover the shocks (not 100% just yet). I researched and found that Bilstein shocks have a lifetime warrenty but I was wondering if anyone had an idea how I could get the shocks replaced throught the Bilstein warrenty. A buddy of mine told me to either contact the dealer and ask the same question or try to contact Bilstein to see if they would replace them. If I have to replace the shocks out of my pocket, so be it. If I can get them replaced for free, cool. I haven't decided on what to do just yet, I thought I would throw it out to this group first.
Simtech3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #14
hunter01
AF Regular

A life time guarantee on a part covers the replacement of the part once. You still have to pay for the labor. Most parts places want to see a reciept and I also save the box ends with the upc codes
hunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:38 PM   #15
Teal95Jimmy
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Teal95Jimmy

I remember reading that the lifetime warranty on the bilsteins only covers them if you bought them, not if they came on the truck from the factory.
Teal95Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer