Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
caffeineaholic
AF Regular

'85 Caprice - More than 1 fuel filter?

Hi all, I've been wondering for a long time if my '85 Caprice has more than just the fuel filter on the carb. If memory serves I read in my Chilton manual that there may be an inline fuel filter as well as the fuel filter in the carb. Is there one in the fuel tank as well? Or perhaps just a screen to keep large particles out?

Thanks for your help!

1985 Caprice 305 5.0L
Rochester Q-jet Carb
Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

Re: '85 Caprice - More than 1 fuel filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineaholic View Post
Hi all, I've been wondering for a long time if my '85 Caprice has more than just the fuel filter on the carb. If memory serves I read in my Chilton manual that there may be an inline fuel filter as well as the fuel filter in the carb. Is there one in the fuel tank as well? Or perhaps just a screen to keep large particles out?
There is a screen on the fuel pick up tube in the tank.
I don't think there is another filter except for the one on the carb.
Chilton manuals can be so misleading sometimes...

Do yourself a favor and get a factory service manual and ditch the Chiltons..
1996 Suzuki RMX250

I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
silicon212
Confoundingly Lucid

Send a message via ICQ to silicon212

The inline filter is present on the '85 equipped with the 4.3 liter FI engine. The V8s all had the filter in the carb.

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
silicon212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineaholic View Post

Thanks for your help!

1985 Caprice 305 5.0L
Rochester Q-jet Carb

the fuel filter is in the carb,,this filter needs replacing often because the fuel tank is rusted,,being this old...the filter is very small as well...adding a filter larger on the input to the carb is possible to reduce debris from entering the small filter in the carb...

using a metal pre-carb fuel filter is a good way to keep the carb from getting contaminated..

replacing the carb filter you will need a new gasket ,,the debis will be in the center of the filter...care must be taken when you remove and install the fittings...be careful not to crossthread the fittings...use of a LINE wrench is recommended..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
caffeineaholic
AF Regular

Thanks for all of your input, I plan on getting a factory service manual in the near future... I have been a bit disappointed with the Chilton's manual I have. I may also check the gas tank since it has never been looked at before (23 years).
Old 07-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
RageCage
AF Regular

Caffeine,

I have the 85 also. My gas tank was showing some rust on the outside, so I rubbed an oily rag all over it ( used used motor oil) a year ago, and it has stopped the rusting. (From the outside, anyway). Also, I installed an inline see-thru plastic filter about 10 years ago, since the carb filter is a real PITA to replace. I just replace the plastic filter every couple of years now. Much easier and quicker.

RC
RageCage is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
filter , fuel
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice