Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
boblpn
AF Newbie

New forum member and Aerostar owner with concerns..

I recently became the new owner of an '93 Aerostar 4.0L AWD rust bucket with 221,000 miles on it. I've got a few concerns and repairs I need to tackle within the next couple weeks, and would appreciate any advise from those who have experienced my problems already.

I think it has been sitting for a couple of years, as the more I drive it, problems are starting so show (#5 below), and I need to make some repairs soon.

I've not received any CEL, so I think emmisions system is working good. All idiot lights on dash seem to be functioning as should be.

1. Does anyone know if an alignment rack tells to perform a 2-wheel or 4-wheel alignment? The cost difference is $40.

2. What kind of mpg can I expect from the 4.0L with AWD? My short initial 350 mile trip yesterday revealed just over 18.5 mpg.

3. Anyone replace their own wheel bearing / hub assembly? Any hints before I attempt to tear the old one off? I've not gone farther than taking off the caliper on vehicles before. This particular vehicle's wheel bearing is inclusive of the hub / spindle unit, all as one piece.

4. How is the interior engine cover under the dash removed? I undid the clips on either side, but couldn't seem to jockey the panel down and out of the way? What is visible / accesible from removing this panel? Rear plugs maybe? or PCV valve?

5. After it has been running, and I go to park, the idle rpms quickly ramp up to and stays at what seems like 2000-2500 or so. Has anyone experienced this, and what was the cause and remedy? It seems to idle somewhat high also (1000-1500), when sitting at a light with foot on the brake, but not so much that you can't hold it back with the brakes.

Anyway, thanks for all who reply with answers. Your past experience is appreciated and helpful. I look forward to this forum and the information it provides.
boblpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Selectron
AF Enthusiast

Re: New forum member and Aerostar owner with concerns..

Hi boblpn, and welcome to the forum. I'll just point out that I'm in the UK, so I'm not familiar with your vehicle, but this is one of the quieter forums in the Ford section so you could be waiting a while before you get some feedback from a fellow Aerostar owner.

Meantime, I'll point you in the direction of an online manual for your vehicle - it does cover the '93 model. I had a quick look through the contents, and it has some information on the front and rear wheel bearings, with diagrams. It also covers the alignment - gives details for the front but says the rear is non-adjustable. Anyway, take a look and you might find it of some help.

Go to the first post in this thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=890909

... follow the instructions, and you'll find your vehicle is listed. Some feedback from an Aerostar owner would be good though, if anybody else is out there?
Selectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
tookalook
AF Newbie

Your Aerostar should get better than 18.5
The engine cover dose come out but you have to remove the junk collector (two screws ) from in front of it. But it is harder to get back in.
A whole lot can be accessed from here. including changing all 6 spark plugs.
Your vacuum advance hose at the distributor is likely the vacuum leak. but there are a couple of others to check. One is from the front on the right side(driver) reach back behind the throttle body you can hardly see them and worse to reach them but there is a gizmo that has i think 4 or 5 hoses coming from it. they get oily if you have a backfire the one that is the hardest to reach pops off. You can get it back but i suggest you get a ti rap and put it over the hose before you reconnect it that way you can just pull it tight around the metal pipe that it conects to. Also and this is not fun .From the passenger seat use your left arm wiggle it along the top of the left side top of the engine as far as you can reach you will feel a plastic tube. if a rubber hose is not connected feel around for it it will be lying there plug it back in to the tube with your finger i said it wont be easy but you can do it. Don't get frustrated they do work well and toe like a Clydesdale.
tookalook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
trebor207
AF Newbie

Hi boblpn I have a 93 model also 2wd though. I can answer a few of the questions you have. The engine cover has 3 clips holding it in place. 1 on the drivers side 2 on the passenger. The top one on the passenger side is har d to see and feel for. You also have to remove the cup holder in the floor if you have one plus the little black box just under the panel. It has two nuts holding it in place. its about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide. The idle issues are another thing sounds like you may have numerous vacuum leaks. Trace every hose under the hood and replace if necessary. You may also want to check the tps ( throttle position sensor) and the air bypass valve there both located on the throttle body. I hope this helps you out.
trebor207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #5
WillieEverlearn
AF Newbie

Hi There.
I have replaced my AWD front rotor & hub assy a few times.
Each side once and one side twice.

I have a FOMOCO shop manual and I just followed the instructions.
But make and use the guide pins as recomended
email me offline for any more info
90 Aerostar 4.0 AWD
TTFN
WillieEverlearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
TeamExploder
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TeamExploder

I would say that gas mileage is about average I mean it does have a 4.0 and is awd. You could help your fuel mileage by taking out the transfercase and replacing it with a 2wd transfercase OR since it has the same trans as the explorers and rangers you could mount a selectable transfercase in place of the awd one, I am thinking of doing this for my mom if I can get hers running that way in really horrible situations she can have 4low..
TeamExploder is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar