Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
Titan4
AF Newbie

1995 Riviera Battery - HELP!!!

You would think this battery is a rare diamond or something. Does anyone know where I can get a battery on a weekend when the dealer parts departments are all closed? So far I can find NOBODY that makes this damned battery other than AC Delco.
It all started when I decided to get my complete replacement stereo system installed today. I had some of my components overnighted so that I could get it done today. As fate would have it the car stereo place busted the terminal off the battery and they told me about it 30 minutes before they closed tonight. Of course tonight is Friday and this is a looong weekend due to the Monday holiday so I am getting the feeling that I am screwed. Every parts house I call does not have a battery. Most don't even list it. Some are nice enough to tell me it is a Group 76, but that is all they can do. Interstate's website does not go newer than a '93 Riv.
Any suggestions as to where to get a battery in a hurry on a weekend?
Titan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:32 PM   #2
tman
Pimpin' ain't easy

Send a message via AIM to tman
Re: 1995 Riviera Battery - HELP!!!

What's wrong with the delco battery? They last longer, have THE most cranking amps of any battery I've seen, and never need any maintenance

Anyhow, cars arent battery specific, and side terminal battery will start and run the car... However, i would suggest at least 700 cranking amps. The Delco has 900 Cold cranking amps, and 770 Cranking amps

tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
Titan4
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1995 Riviera Battery - HELP!!!

One problem with the Delco battery is availability. My battery problem started at about 6 p.m. on a Friday night going into a holiday weekend with Memorial Day on Monday. At least where I live most of the Buick dealers do not have their parts departments open on the weekend. Had I not made a 45 mile drive to Orlando to get it on a Saturday (the only Buick parts dept I could find open on a Saturday) I would have been grounded until the following Tuesday. Friday night to Tuesday morning is a long time to wait for a silly battery.
I almost bought a regular side post battery as it is true that it will work, but I was not sure about the safety involved with the lack of the vent tube since the battery is mounted in the car under the back seat. The Delco is the only battery that has this vent and I did not want to risk it with just another battery. I have heard on another forum that the Optima Gel Cell batteries might alleviate this problem.
The other drawback to the Delco is the price. It cost me $125.00. I do not feel that the Delco lasts any longer than other batteries so this is a bit pricey. This is at least the 3rd battery in my car that I know of. From 1995 to February of 1998 I did not own the car so I don't know the history before that.

Last edited by Titan4; 05-30-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Titan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:20 PM   #4
tman
Pimpin' ain't easy

Send a message via AIM to tman

Optimas may have a vent, I had no idea the battery was under the seat in the riviera. The Delco batteries do have a 6/7 year warranty, but it is pro-rated, meaning that if the battery fails halfway through the warranty period, you must only pay half the cost of the new battery.

tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:57 PM   #5
LikingBos
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to LikingBos

Having bought the riviera 95 only a year ago, how to know how old the battery is and if its still under warranty??
LikingBos is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera