Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Lumina_driver
AF Newbie

Question Some electrical problems on 91 APV

Hi,

Few days back all of sudden heater blowers both front n back, day lights, speedometer stopped working when engine is running, interior alarm is on constantly at nights when head lights are turned on by pressing the switch. I have checked all the fuses and they are ok. Not sure why this problem started all of sudden.

Engine is 3.1 and van has 323,000 kms on it, still running good except for this issue.

Dosen't sound huge problem but not sure why it's happening and how to fix it. I'll appreciate if anyone could help me out with this as its -20C at nights and its bareable to be able to drive it with no heat and interior alarm going on constantly!.

Thanks
Luminadriver
Lumina_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: Some electrical problems on 91 APV

My first guess is ignition switch itself...contact A/C2 on graphic below or fuse block 15A ign. fuse (which, contrary to its name, does not feed the engine ignition) or corroded splice in that circuit.
...page 8A-11-4 shows all circuits you say would be covered by this contact/fuse.
If this is the case, your alternator might not be charging either ...and......do you have power windows still working ?

www.avigex.ca/xport/ignitionkey31.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/8A_11_4_powerdist31.jpg

Last edited by LMP; 02-12-2011 at 09:02 AM.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LMP For This Useful Post:
Lumina_driver (02-12-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Lumina_driver
AF Newbie

You may be right, it could be the ignition swith itself too be the problem.
I re-checked all the fuses and they are all ok, none burned out yet. Alternator may be another candidate but ign switch seems to be the cause.

What are the ways/methods to get ign switch checked before replacing it?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumina_driver View Post
...Alternator may be another candidate....
NO...I meant that this same circuit also feeds the alternator exciter.....so lacking excitation, il will not charge and it is not the culprit.
YOu did not tell me if power windows were dead....that would confirm the diagnostic...unless it has manual windows....of course....
A quick test for the diagnostic would be to back feed the circuit, that is what I'd do...and I'd use precisely the power window breaker (missing in photo below) as the entry point (that is in the convenience center under glove box. )
www.avigex.ca/xport/convenience_center.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/convenience_photo.jpg
Answer my question and if need more details,just ask.
...DO you have a multimeter? Testing for 12V presence at the 15A ign fuse when turning key ON would be a good indication. It might be easier also to backfeed at that fuse.
www.avigex.ca/xport/fusepanel31.jpg

....ahhh. I just found I had prepared for the same some time ago (proving the problem is common), suggesting backfeeding from the heater/ac fuse instead. Look: http://www.avigex.ca/xport/ignitionkeytest.jpg
Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Lumina_driver
AF Newbie

Manual windows, seats.

Power locks, power side view mirrors just as extra in case you need to know.

No i don't have multimeter....
Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
LMP
AF Enthusiast

FOr your info, the ignition switch is located low on the steering column, far from the key barrel.

YOu must remove under dash panels to access whe you decide to replace it. YOur problem is with the contact feeding the orange wire.
YOU can flatten a short piece of 14 gauge house wiring and enter both ends in place of the 25A htr/ac fuse. Then run a wire from the battery positive (there is a post covered with a red plastic cap on firewall near the brake booster) to this piece of wire.
As an alternate, you can feed 12v directly from the red wire to the orange wire at the ignition switch.

This would energize the circuits that are dead at this time,. Then start engine and see if all is back to normal.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV