Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
dandydon
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2003 4.2l v6 abs questions

O.k., I've checked into a ton of archived responses to this but nothing I've read seems to fit. I haven't used the truck for about 2 1/2 weeks. I had no problems at all the last time it ran. Started it today and the usual dashboard lights go on and off, except almost immediately, the ABS light comes back on without even touching the brakes or moving the truck at all. I don't feel anything out of the ordinary. NO pulling to one side, no brake dragging, no noises, nothing. Since my Haynes book is useless for troubleshooting this, what should I be looking for with a constant ABS light? I have a code reader but unfortunately, doesn't read ABS codes. I started checking fuses till it donned on me that it would usually mean NO light at all or am I out of touch? Any help would be appreciated ASAP. Have a big trip coming up in two days and don't want this unresolved. Oh, this is a 2wd p/u with 4spdOD auto tranny. I have no idea if it's 2wheel ABS or 4wheel ABS.
dandydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Rasp
AF Regular

Re: 2003 4.2l v6 abs questions

When it comes to brakes and going on long trips it is usually a good idea to make sure they work properly, but in saying that, my own ABS brakes on my truck have not worked for years and as long as my actual brakes themselves work I don't really care. I don't take long trips with it though.

Anyway as for your problem. There should be an ABS sensor going to each hub (front hubs).

You could need possibly

1. a new sensor on 1 or more of the hubs.
2. or a wire is broken to one or more of the hubs.

There could be other reasons but those are the most likely. The only way to check for sure would be to scan the brakes with an ABS scanner.

You could inspect the wires. (The wires on my Buick were sheared off from constant turning of the wheels, bad design for buicks) You might notice that without a scanner.

Does the ABS work at all? Not just the brakes but the thudding (vibrating) of the ABS system when you slam the brakes?

Also just to be sure, check the fluid levels of brake fluid reservoir.
Rasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
dandydon
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 2003 4.2l v6 abs questions

No obvious problem with brakes. In fact to be sure of that I got up to speed while going out yesterday, stomped the brakes, felt no pulsing or anything bad and truck stopped hard and straight. Checked the master cylinder last night, fluid is a little dirty but at the mark. Looked for obvious leaks behind each wheel, just to be sure, everything is dry. So it 's time to climb under and check those items you mentioned. Thanks for your input.
dandydon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series