Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
rsemjaju
AF Newbie

Question pontiac grand am insment cluster

my 1996 pontiac grand am's gauges quit working. so i went to a junk yard and got the instrume cluster off of a different car. same make model and style of mine. i replaced the one out of my car with the other one. when i first began doing this, the car would start for about 5 seconds then die. so i began reading some posts and decided to try to reset the "theft system" that was on the cluster. so i left the key on the "on" position for about 30 minutes. around the 30 minute mark the gas gauge and "theft system" light started doing a lil "dance". then the car wouldnt start at all.. then i heard some loud ticking coming from the front of the car. almost sounding like an alarm was going off without actually making the "whoop" sound. when i turned the key off the ticking quit so im not positive it was the alarm system afterall.. if anyone knows anything about this...please help...

thanks
rsemjaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
thephantom1492
AF Regular

Re: pontiac grand am insment cluster

first, check the battery voltage. With the cranking and the car at run for such a long time the battery could be drained.

You might want to charge it...

Third party alarm system can NOT control the IC. All what they do usually is prevent the starter from working by interrupting the starter wire from the ignition key. that is IF they installed the anti-start feature.

I'ld suspect that it's a low battery voltage, causing the BCM to go crazy.

So the first step is to check the battery voltage while the car is at run (as to remove the surface charge). Also, a good charge won't be a bad idea.
thephantom1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
rsemjaju
AF Newbie

thanks for the idea, i tried to jump the car off with another vehicle and it didnt work.. it just went back to doing the same thing it was doing before. start for a few seconds then die. does that mean i need to start the whole reset process over again?
rsemjaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

You need to make sure battery stays up while doing the relearn. Have it on a charger during the procedure.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I agree with GMtech1......your battery probably died on you.....

This year vehicle, not sure if it has a BCM.....think the I/P was what was called a smart cluster......PassLock sensor sent the R-code to the IPC, and the IPC sent the fuel enable to the PCM....

As for the reset procedure, because you have to leave the ignition on, you should use a jumper box(DC), not a battery charger(A/C fluctuations could damage the PCM)....

And I think your procedure is wrong....

Have e-brake on.....attach jumper box.....attempt to start car.....it cranks and dies....don't turn off, leave key in the on position....look at THEFT LIGHT..... should be on....after 10 minutes, should go out....turn key to off, wait five seconds, then turn key to on.....don't crank.....watch THEFT LIGHT again....should go off after 10 minutes.....shut off.....wait five seconds......turn key to on......when light goes off after 10 minutes, turn key to off for 5 seconds......then try and start the car.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
thephantom1492
AF Regular

a car in run position take lots of power, specially if the headlight turns on!

You might want to leave the charger a few hours before you attempt the relearn AND during the relearn.

But I also wonder if the BCM accept the new IC...
thephantom1492 is offline   Reply With Quote