Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
swoop
AF Newbie

Changing AC Compressor

I have a question about changing out my sons compressor. When I open up the system to change out the compressor, I want to change out the accumulator as well becuase it is where the oil is stored right? Then change the orifice tube. Before I recahrge the system I will take it and have the ac system vacumed and then recharged. Does this sound like the right sequence? And is there a way that I could pull all the moisture and air out of the ac myself before I recharge??

Swoop
swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: Changing AC Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop View Post
I have a question about changing out my sons compressor. When I open up the system to change out the compressor, I want to change out the accumulator as well becuase it is where the oil is stored right? Then change the orifice tube. Before I recahrge the system I will take it and have the ac system vacumed and then recharged. Does this sound like the right sequence? And is there a way that I could pull all the moisture and air out of the ac myself before I recharge??

Swoop
The only you can pump it out and do it yourself is if you have a vacume pump and the ac recharge gauge kit.
http://www.ackits.com/c/DIY/Do-It-Yo...ance+Kits.html

http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?S...erantGaugeSets

http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?S...egory_Code=DIY

The accumulator only holds about 2 oz oil.
The ac system oil is spread out over the complete system.

To get the righ amout of oi back in the system the system should be flushed out and the correct amount and kind of oil added.

Rule of the thumb is 2 0z of oil for every part of system.
2 condenser 2 dryer 2 compresser and 2 evaporator.

When you pull compresser and accumulator measure what come out of them.
If 2 oz in each one the the other 2 condenser/evaporator should have about 2 oz in them .
Then I make sure new compresser is dry or drain if not and add 2 oz oil to compresser and 2 oz to accumulator/receiver dryer.

Remember when changing the comprsser and dryer/ accumulator out the dryer comes dry no oil and compressers come dry and sometimes as much as 8-10 oz oil in them.

Letr us know how it goes.
Good Luck
Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
swoop
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info...aas far as the oil in the condenser, when the system is evacuated, does the oil get drawn out or just the freon?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Thanks for the info...aas far as the oil in the condenser, when the system is evacuated, does the oil get drawn out or just the freon?
No on the oil getting pumped out when evucated.
Oil only gets removed with a system flush and if the system has a leak oil gets lost.

When system is opened drain the compressor and dryer to get a idea of how much oil system has in it.

Ther vacuum pump evucation only pulls a vacuum and removes moisture and all r-134a/gas from system.

The correct amount and kind of oil needs to be done when system is opened up and parts replaced.

Good luck
Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
swoop
AF Newbie

I recharged the system with some dye refridgerant and see that the compressor is leaking. It isn't leaking at the clutch or the low and high side fittings but in the middle. Someone had told me that these compressors come in two pieces. Is this true? Anyway, my plan is to get ahold of a vacuum pump and change out the comp. Where is the orifice tube located at? I should remove this prior to flushing the system right?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
I recharged the system with some dye refridgerant and see that the compressor is leaking. It isn't leaking at the clutch or the low and high side fittings but in the middle. Someone had told me that these compressors come in two pieces. Is this true? Anyway, my plan is to get ahold of a vacuum pump and change out the comp. Where is the orifice tube located at? I should remove this prior to flushing the system right?
Yes remove it and disconnect compresser before flush.
But be aware a flush is not the same as pump out.
The orfice tube is in the high side line between the condenser high pressure line and the eveparator core.
Good luck

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis