Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
skidude
AF Newbie

Thumbs down 1997 Jimmy overview

I wonder if anyone else has had as much problems as I have with my Jimmy. It all started with having to replace all the o2 sensors then the transmission not shifting properly. After garages telling me everything between power packs to rebuilding I discovered on my own it was the ignition switch. Then came the head gasket leaking antifreeze. A week later the water pump. Two months later the motor died. So I pulled it and had it completely rebuilt. Now it seems to have a bad fuel pump. This truck only has 178,000 km on it. Problem is I have so much money sunk into it I can't afford too get rid of it. This will for sure be the last GM I will buy. Wish I could go back to the days when they had 327s and 350s in all GM cars. That was when they were built to last.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
carguy0633
AF Newbie

To be perfectly honest and rational about this, I think every car has faults, though it does seem as if you got unlucky, i had many more problems with my 1998 Honda Passport than my 1997 GMC Jimmy. For instance the head gasket was leaking and it burned 3-4 quarts of oil between changes, wheras the jimmy doesnt do either but needs all new oxygen sensors and an EGR valve. the way i see it, you cant win, the car company has you by the nuts. Thats my input on the subject.
carguy0633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: 1997 Jimmy overview

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude
I wonder if anyone else has had as much problems as I have with my Jimmy. It all started with having to replace all the o2 sensors then the transmission not shifting properly. After garages telling me everything between power packs to rebuilding I discovered on my own it was the ignition switch. Then came the head gasket leaking antifreeze. A week later the water pump. Two months later the motor died. So I pulled it and had it completely rebuilt. Now it seems to have a bad fuel pump. This truck only has 178,000 km on it. Problem is I have so much money sunk into it I can't afford too get rid of it. This will for sure be the last GM I will buy. Wish I could go back to the days when they had 327s and 350s in all GM cars. That was when they were built to last.
Only has 178,000kms on it? Since when is that a low number?

Although you probably got the short end of the stick, your case could be chauled up as being a freak case.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
skidude
AF Newbie

I do think 178,000 km not high mileage. That's a little over 100,000 miles. I know a few people with jimmy's and blazers. Some have good things to say and others have bad. Don't get me wrong, I love driving it and get compliments on how well it looks, but I shouldn't have to put 5,000 dollars into a truck with that mileage. Did you know that there are three different 4.3 motors? In one model they actually welded spacers onto the back to pistons to prevent piston slap. The other came with aluminum heads and the better of the three and the old steal heads. The 4.3 is actually a 350 motor with two cylinders cut off. You would think they could make it as good as the 350. Car makers these days don't want cars to last. If they did how would they make their money. Like everything else these days it's about quantity not quality. If you want to stay in business make it as cheap as you can. Too bad they didn't pass the savings onto the customer
Old 03-01-2005, 05:15 AM   #5
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

I have no real problems with my 4.3L.

Having to put 5000 into a truck is not a common occurence nor can you making sweeping general comments saying the 4,3l is a bad motor.

You got a lemon bro, happens to all motors by all manfacturers.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:16 AM   #6
wipeout
AF Newbie

a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off????
wipeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:20 AM   #7
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipeout
a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off????
Yes, it is essentially a 350 block with two cylinders cut off.

(350 / 8) x6 =262.5

4.3L = 262Ci
Old 03-01-2005, 05:20 AM   #8
skidude
AF Newbie

Anyone have any comments or help with the rear wiper not working or the roof brake light won't work.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:23 AM   #9
skidude
AF Newbie

Thanks BlazerLT. a 4.3 is a 350 less two cylinders. But be aware that they made three different types of 4.3 and stay away from the ones with aluminum heads
Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 AM   #10
wipeout
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1997 Jimmy overview

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
Yes, it is essentially a 350 block with two cylinders cut off.

(350 / 8) x6 =262.5

4.3L = 262Ci

didn't know that. should be a pretty good motor in general then.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:26 AM   #11
wipeout
AF Newbie

what do the 04 & 05 models come with?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:30 AM   #12
skidude
AF Newbie

That's a good question wipeout. I'll look into that for you and let you know.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:34 AM   #13
wipeout
AF Newbie

the reason i ask is that i currently own a 2000 montana and am thinking of a newer jimmy or blazer. i have had many many many problems with it.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:41 AM   #14
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Re: Re: 1997 Jimmy overview

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude
Thanks BlazerLT. a 4.3 is a 350 less two cylinders. But be aware that they made three different types of 4.3 and stay away from the ones with aluminum heads

The actual block for the most part is the same through all years to current... Nothing wrong with aluminunm heads (wish they made the vortec ones in aluminum)... Aluminum is a strong yet light weight materieal. Example, the LS1/LT1's use aluminum heads and look at their power output...Though I have yet to see aluminum heads on the 4.3 (not to say they don't exist)

Did you buy your truck used? If so then it sounds like the previous owner didn't take care of things very well. The key to the long life of any motor is preventitive maintenance. If you bought the car off the lot, then I would say you just ended up with a bad motor which isn't uncommon from any manufacturer.

Usually 100-125,000 miles is average life of the GM fuel pump, Though I've seen them go at 70k and I've seen them last 156k (mine was at 156,000 when it got replaced)... Again, the secret to longevity is preventitive maintenance...

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #15
skidude
AF Newbie

The problem with aluminum heads is that when you mix two metals on the motor one tends to expand and contract with the heating and cooling of the motor different than the other motor causing the gasket between the two to give way.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy