Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
Bfox
AF Newbie

97 Blazer slop/swaying

hello i have a 97 blazer i have recently replaced the idler arm, pitmin arm and both lower ball joints, everthing else seems to be solid. had it alligned and the wheel wasnt straight. so i took it back and they told me my gear box was bad so i then replaced my intermediate shaft and my gear box. that helped some but i still had some slop/swaying on highway speeds. and steer wheel dosnt seem straight when i drive straight. even though when they allign it they say its dead on. any input would help. thanks bf
Bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 97 Blazer slop/swaying

Check front end and back end for any lose parts.
Make sure shocks and springs and tires are good.
Also check back end for alignment.
A broke spring or spring tie bolt and stuff like that.
There is no reason they can not center steering wheel if front and rear end parts and alignment is good.

I would be looking for a good alignment shop that knows there stuff.
All of the good ones will check for bad parts or problems before alignment.
If it does not drive right something is bad/lose or it is not aligned right.

Good Luck
MT
Old 03-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Bfox
AF Newbie

yeah they checked everything for loose parts prior to allignment. and there isnt anything broke or bent. since i replaced all the parts already it has made a big diffrence. Just at hightway speeds it seems to be swaying side to side. not like pulling really crazy just enough to notice. that and the wheel is like 5 degress off center so you hold the wheel straight and you go left. almost like its suppose to do when you let go of the wheel and you slightly pull right. Iam really wondering if there isnt something on the tie rod ends that somewhere someone is missing to check. crap i dont know anymore ill have the complete front end replaced by the time i find this issue. thanks for your help. bf
Old 03-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
83cutlass
AF Regular

Well here's my opinion. With all those steering linkage parts and their clearances adding up, its never gonna be real nice and perfectly tight like a rack and pinion. Equalizing all those joints and setting the toe can be a real challenge. Experience has tought me that the front total toe and toe in allowances are a little generous on these trucks. I cut the allowance in half and set them that way.
Additionally you can't align a vehicle for all roads. Some have more crown, some crown one way or the other. The steering wheel won't always be straight on every road when driving in a straight line.
83cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
drdd
AF Enthusiast

have them re-check your tire balance on the front. you might have lost one of the weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfox
hello i have a 97 blazer i have recently replaced the idler arm, pitmin arm and both lower ball joints, everthing else seems to be solid. had it alligned and the wheel wasnt straight. so i took it back and they told me my gear box was bad so i then replaced my intermediate shaft and my gear box. that helped some but i still had some slop/swaying on highway speeds. and steer wheel dosnt seem straight when i drive straight. even though when they allign it they say its dead on. any input would help. thanks bf
drdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Bfox
AF Newbie

ok thanks for your input, maybe i should look into that zQ8 Box with the 4x4 pitman arm. any ideas on if this actually would help or should i just live with it since it is close as i can get it. just dosnt feel like it did when it was new. it does have over 160 k on it. and i didnt have to fix anything tell she hit 130 k then eveything went bad it was like everything runs tell 130 then goes bad ha ha. thanks bf
Old 03-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
drdd
AF Enthusiast

you might also consider replacing your rag joint at the bottom of your steering column.

not that difficult or expensive ...

Quote:
ok thanks for your input, maybe i should look into that zQ8 Box with the 4x4 pitman arm. any ideas on if this actually would help or should i just live with it since it is close as i can get it. just dosnt feel like it did when it was new. it does have over 160 k on it. and i didnt have to fix anything tell she hit 130 k then eveything went bad it was like everything runs tell 130 then goes bad ha ha. thanks bf
Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Sometimes the alignment racks get out of adjustment and they have to call a factory rep. out to adjust them. Not everybody is qualified to align vehicles.
I would try another shop and if they fix it ask for your money back.
M.T.is correct their is no reason this can't be repaired.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Bfox
AF Newbie

drdd if you noticed in my previous post i did replace my intermediate shaft. thats what the rag joint is really called. so far new gear box, new intermediate shaft, lower ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, been alligned a few times now. and iam still not happy. it seems like something if messed up and no shops are smart enough to help ha ha.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Try rotating tires I've seen funny things caused by tires especially pulling.
What about upper ball joints. Take something like an old quart can of oil. Jack up the front end tire about 1 inch from the ground. Place the can next to the tire and rotate it a bent rim will be very noticeable.Place the can in front of the tire and rotate it a buldge will be very noticeable. Place one hand on top and one on the bottom of the wheel. Is their a lot of slop. Use large channel locks check movement between the balljoint when squeezing the top and bottom.
Place a block in front of the real wheels. With the vehicle running and in park.
Have somebody in the vehicle move the steering wheel back and forth. Watch all lower control joints with a flashlight a loose joint will be very noticeable.
Allow about 2 hrs. in the warm part of the day. This is not hard and will save you a lot of money. They don't make big money on alignment and don't want to spend the time. In my area a few NTW stores do a decent job. A problem with the rear axle will also cause problems. Spray a large area on a concrete driveway drive over it and see if it is tracking properly.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #11
drdd
AF Enthusiast

hmmm ... what about wheel bearings/hub ?

jack up car, hold tire at 12oclock and 6oclock and try to wiggle back and forth ...

... any movement or play ?

what's the word on tire balance ? try rotating one-at-a-time front-to-back and see if you notice a difference ...

Quote:
drdd if you noticed in my previous post i did replace my intermediate shaft. thats what the rag joint is really called. so far new gear box, new intermediate shaft, lower ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, been alligned a few times now. and iam still not happy. it seems like something if messed up and no shops are smart enough to help ha ha.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
jnigh
AF Newbie

make sure the idler arm is in correctly, the bend at the end should not be going under the frame. check the centerlink (between pitman and idler arm) it should be level with the ground, you can measure up from the frame and should be the same distance. mine was replaced and put in backwards and had very bad/unsafe swaying back and forth issues. having it put back in correctly solved the problem.

http://blazerforum.com/forum/steerin...problem-72770/

pictures
http://dirtyshirt.info/auto_blazer_i...enterlink.html
jnigh is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis