Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

98 door lock problem

98 3.0 engine, 195K.

I noticed today when working on the electric mirror switch that works once in a great while. With the door open and the key in the ignition switch and the chime dinging I press the door lock all doors lock but immediately unlock again. Take the key out of ignition switch and no chime dinging, press door lock and all doors lock the way they should. Is this a sign of the ignition tumbler going bad??? (I do have the mirror control switch removed while this is happening)

On the mirror control switch, I have power (over 12 volts) at the lower 2 contacts. I have taken control switch apart but cannot find anything wrong so I believe it is the switch.

thanks
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
KC79
AF Newbie

Re: 98 door lock problem

right off hand my first thought is get in you car, close the door and then try it again. this might just be a feature to keep you from locking you keys in the car. alot of cars have some sort of feature like this but owners never notice it

you got me thinking so i just went and tried mine!lol o1 windstar mind you that my power lock for the drivers door doesnt work. i did the same as you and i swear i could hear the drivers door trying to unlock but the others stayed locked
KC79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
fy171
AF Newbie

my 02 does the same as KC79
fy171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

I sat inside today and closed the door with the key in ignition and it locked like it should, then I opened the door with the key in ignition and buzzer sounding and they would lock, then immediately open again. This must be a feature like you stated to keep people from locking ther keys in the vehicle.

thanks
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar