Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Riche_guy
AF Newbie

2001 Rear suspension problem

Last week I had my rear shocks change since the car was bottoming out. The cost $800 with labor. On the weekend i drove the car to find it was still knocking. I went back, they tried adjusting the shocks and found nothing helped. They checked the upper plates and they are fine. The next plan of action is they ordered me a new sensor(s). Price $400 something. I am waiting for them to receive the part and see if it is the problem. If that doesn't work they are telling me new pump(s)?

So are they following the right course of action? Will they charge me for all this additional labor? Should they have seen this while changing the shocks in the first place and done the changes at that time and reduce labor costs??

Thanks.
Riche_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Unhappy Re: 2001 Rear suspension problem

If this is air shock suspension and the shocks don't raise the rear under load then the shocks or lines were leaking or the compressor did not come on, what exactly is happening here ? You need to get a clear understanding with the shop that you will not pay for them to throw parts at this till it is fixed!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Riche_guy
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Rear suspension problem

Latest news. I was told that with the new sensor that there is still some lost of air, so they are checking the hoses. They now tell me they fond a grounding problem, repaired a pipe and the pump is only working at 75% of its max. A new pump is over $1000 so they are looking to get a used one. They mentioned it should not be too difficult since it is the same as the Cadilac.

Will keep you updated.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Riche_guy
AF Newbie

Well they told me the suspension pump - compressor needs to be changed. New is over $1000. The garage has put out a bulletin to all local scrap yards for a used pump. None have contacted my garage. I found a company on Ebay called Suncore located in Florida that deals with refurbished suspension parts. I purchased a refurbish pump that cost $210 for $175. I had it shipped to Montreal. I left my car at the garage and I got a call telling me that the pump was not identical to the old one and the power plug was different too. Damn. I called Suncore and I was quite pleased to hear that they were concerned and even took the time to contact my garage to get the specifics of what was needed. The tech. at Suncore even called me back to keep me in the loop and told me he would build me up a pump and ship it over night Monday. I hope this will work out.

While this is going on I also found out that a speed sensor stop working. This is what controls ABS and also a TPS sensor that controls the idiling of the car. Luckily they do not cost that much at $120 and $140. They also saw that my my left front disc and pad needed to be changed, they did that while it was there.

As can be seen the car is getting older and parts are starting to fail. I felt that it was better to repair the vehicle then to scrap it at this point since I had invested in new tires, Level sensor, brakes, car starter. If I would have known all this before investing. I would have bought another car. But that is all hind sight.

So will let you know the outcome.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Riche_guy
AF Newbie

Suncore delivered the suspension pump as promised and to my dismay it worked sometimes. I went back to the garage and they told me that it was the air hoses that were leaking. I would need new. They ordered it for me at a cost of $300 and half hour to install. The care rides smoothly now. If there any changes I will let you know.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora