Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
oldgearhead
AF Newbie

Help! How to seal the cowl/windshield?

Okay, I did the intake (seals +green isolator bolts) TSB.
Installed new plugs, new coil pack, new DPFE, rear IMRC actuator rod, and a used intake manifold baffle. The 2001 Windstar now runs very nice and the 'check engine' is out for the first time in 7 years.

However, isn't there always a however? I tore up the rubber weatherstripping that goes between the plastic cowl and the windshield because it was 'Permatexted' to a very badly fitted windshield.

Where can I get this weatherstripping, or better yet something that covers a wider gap? I can't find it online. Is there a Ford part number?
oldgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help! How to seal the cowl/windshield?

I'll have to go look at mine, but was it definitely weatherstripping or was it just RTV or something? The reason I ask is if you search fordparts.com, there is a molding that goes around the sides and top, but nothing for the bottom. The top cowl section only has a rubber strip, if I remember correctly, at the bottom to seal off the space between it and the hood.

Attached are the removal/installation instructions from the shop manual. This should at least point you in the right direction.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01WindstarWindshield.pdf (96.7 KB, 0 views)
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
oldgearhead
AF Newbie

Yes, I know the top and sides are totally different. The strip I need is 67 inches long with a
curve to match the windshield, and it clips on the plastic cowl. I think I'll call Steele Rubber Products tomorrow, maybe they have something better..
Old 05-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Did you call or visit a ford dealer? Or maybe a junk yard? I'd probably hit up pull-a-part myself, at least to start with...
Old 05-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
oldgearhead
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubacat View Post
Did you call or visit a ford dealer? Or maybe a junk yard? I'd probably hit up pull-a-part myself, at least to start with...
Tonight I contacted one of the best body-shop foreman in the area, and he thought it used to be part of the plastic cowling, but he is going to check tomorrow. In the meantime I might as well do TSB 06-14-10 to try and slow down some of the water...
Old 05-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I have removed the cowling several times ... and I'm not sure I understand the problem. Is the water coming into the cabin? The only plastic strip I remember across the windshield seems to be there only to stop vibrations of the plastic cowling onto the glass...and to improve appearance a bit....would not really stop any water, or need to.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
oldgearhead
AF Newbie

Oh I know it has little water-stopping power. I only wish the shade-tree mechanic before me realized that and didn't try to ruin everything with Permatex.

All I need is a 67 inch piece of weatherstrip. Maybe the Wal-mart parking lot is my best bet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weatherstrip.jpg (38.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

But are you getting water in the cabin?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I believe that plastic upper cowl cover, including that little strip, is 022A68.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
oldgearhead
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
But are you getting water in the cabin?
The car had water in the cabin problems nine years ago. Then a mechanic
fixed the problem after 3 tries. When I removed the cowl, last week, I find that most of the 'fix' included copious amounts of black Permatex all around the plastic cowl and especially in the windshield area..so I assume, because I removed a lot of Permatex along with the cowl, that I will have the leak through the fresh air vent, again, unless I do something about it...
Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

The windshield is mounted in a ring of butyl ... so it should not leak. If it does, a glass shop can repair. You don't normally need the permatex there, or the plastic strip. The only other leak area is around the air intake for the cabin/heater. If all the plastic pieces are present underneath the cowling ... and their simple seals, there should not be any leaks... this is an area for permatex if the seals are missing.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
oldgearhead
AF Newbie

In 2004 I had to return my newly purchased used 2001 Windstar Sport SE three times because a lot of rain water ended up on the right-front floor carpet. I think the water came in from:
1) around the fresh air filter pocket.
2) down the outside of the cowl drain pipe through a loose seal on the drain flange.
3) gap between the body and the top of the metal cowl.
As I said before, the car dealer's mechanic eventually solved the problem with a lot of Permatex RTV.

Ford started to get a bit concerned about in July 2006 when some PCM's
were affected, So they issued TSB: 06-14-10. TSB 06-14-10 adds seals below the metal cowl and says to add sealant to every fastener involved in both the metal and plastic cowl.

So where is the water from the windshield supposed to go? Over the hump and into the cowl drain?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I need to take another look before I talk too much; but, yes, some does go down inside each fender, I believe. Also, a lot of water that is gathered in the plastic cowl cover ... is drained down through a two or three piece plastic swivel assembly that is pretty much in the center of the firewall.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

There is a plasticy-rubber (that's the scientific term) strip on the end of the cowl against the windshield. I'd seriously consider a junkyard for that. Mine is 12+ years old and it's still just fine. It's probably a hundred bucks from Ford, if it's even available separately. It is a custom piece that slides onto the lip on the end of the cowl, although a rubber weatherstrip should work just as well if you can get it to stay.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
oldgearhead
AF Newbie

Yes, it seems the only way to get the weatherstrip for the cowl is with a new cowl.
I checked a couple of 'pulled' cowls, but they were missing the weatherstrip. Tasco has a couple of new plastic cowls with weatherstrip for 147 USD. So it's off to G.W. Pierce in the A.M. If I can't get it there, I'll order some generic 'edge' weatherstrip from Steele.
The Wal-mart parking lot is still very tempting. But I wouldn't do that.

It would appear the water-in-the-cabin resulted from gaps developing between the body and the strip of closed cell PVC foam tape (3M-4508) Ford attached to the lower cowl.
Because a 'small' roll of 4508 tape is ($98.88), I sealed the gap with RTV, and picked the weatherstrip from a Freestar at the yard...all is fine now.

Last edited by oldgearhead; 05-26-2014 at 09:02 AM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar