Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Seizer
AF Newbie

Speedometer issues

Searched through the forums for a resolution to a speedometer getting stuck at about 25mph ~ 30mph for my 2002. I didn't come across a concrete solution to it. Anyone dealt with this issue before and have the sure fix? I am planning this weekend to to take the cowl off and clean the connector to the OSS. Also this problem along with low tire pressure indication just started after I had my front strut towers replaced.

On a side note just bought a year subscription to Alldatadiy.com for the 2002, if anyone needs pics or procedures send me a PM and will help you out best I can. I have to admit having a full time job, family and Windstar issues >(, it may be a bit before I can send you the relevant information.
Seizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Re: Speedometer issues

A new mechanical speedometer costs and arm and a leg. I sent mine out for replacement of the needle bearing for about $180 about six years ago, and they did a good job.

These things are delicate instruments with very small parts. They work on a balance between the force of a coiled spring and the torsion created by spinning magnets. Getting it just right isn't easy.

It's possible that your problem is just a small piece of dust in the needle bearing. You could try to blow it out with pressurized air, but be careful doing that. You could damage the coil spring if you blast it with highly compressed air.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Seizer
AF Newbie

Arise from your thread grave!

Instead of posting a new question concerning this issue, I will just ask again with more info added.

So I read that a lot of speedometer issues come from the abs wheel speed sensors, and that if they are out of whack the transmission shifts like crap. However, my speedometer issues only seem to happen when the temperatures are warmer, and I have no transmission shifting issues. As long as outside air temps are 50F or below speedometer runs like a charm. My Windstar dash is lit like a Christmas tree at all times now. I have the Brake light, ABS light and check tire light. Never had any issues using the brakes and I check tire pressures often so I know tire pressures are good, and brakes work normally, never really tried clamping em up to check for ABS foot massage.

What are some common factors tying all these systems together? I would like to have the dash the unlit, but being 2002, 90k miles plus, and a complete rust bucket, I am hesitant to put a lot of money into vehicle. I don't want to just shotgun parts at it, so what are some initial troubleshooting steps I can take? Thanks in advance for input.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I would start by obtaining a electrical diagram book. About $110 bucks or so. It will give you a map for your journey.

As for as speedometers go ... the Windstar is much newer than the 97 tracer that we still have on the road. The mechanical speedo was torment ... gave up about 180k miles or so... no new ones available. An expensive repair lasted about 15k miles. Current solution: A mounted Garmin GPS ... keeps up with current speed and speed limit!...nice!
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Seizer
AF Newbie

That's funny you suggest the Garmin 12 ounce, because we do that. I am hesitant about buying a wiring manual. I was rather hoping for a quick "Yeah replace the ABS unit. My Junkstar had the same issue and that fixed it."

I do need to start somewhere, thanks for the input.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

If you luck out and someone happens to hit on exactly your problem ... then great. But it is more likely no one will have a good idea, or even worse, a wrong idea or two.. By then you get discouraged.
A wiring diagram book is a more sure approach.... not that I'm against some suggestions coming forth.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Seizer
AF Newbie

A last question I thought of. How does one pull ABS codes from the computer? I do not want to go to Ford and have them charge me $65 for pulling codes out. Is this something Autozone, Napa, or (insert other car parts place) can do these days?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

The ABS codes are not part of the OBII emissions-code set. I doubt if the usual aftermarket sellers will have a scanner that would read these codes ...maybe, but I doubt it. Now, a hi-end brake shop might.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
Mr. George
AF Newbie

I had all the guages lit up, tack at 0 turn signals wouldn't turn off, red brake light on, abs light on, battery light on. Just a mess. A tow truck owner suggested to me, add two ground wires, from the neg post, one to the block, and one to the body. Two days now about 50 miles of driving, no lights of any kind came on, tack works, everything seems normal. His explination was, factorys are very cautious with all power leads, due to fire danger. But their attention to grounds is lacking, and easy to become faulty. Worked so far for me. The cost other than my time, was about $15.00, a lot less than a ck out at a dealer. Good luck. I will let you know if this solution works in the long haul. I have a trip comming up this month.
Mr. George is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar