Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
JMJEREMIAH3239
AF Newbie

Downshifting

I have a '96 Windstar with about 99,000 that seems to go into overdrive quickier than normal and when I hit a incline she doesn't seem to downshift unless I purposely let off the gas pedal. Otherwise it seems to shift out of overdrive sluggishly. Trans has been service twice (oil and filter) over the years. No slipping or blinking light. Any ideas ????
JMJEREMIAH3239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
RexNfx400
AF Regular

Re: Downshifting

Let off throttle to downshift? Maybe when you let off, the torque converter unlocks, so you got a higher RPM. Then it will feel smoother also.
Maybe time for a tune up? MotorVac?
RexNfx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:41 AM   #3
JMJEREMIAH3239
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Downshifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexNfx400
Let off throttle to downshift? Maybe when you let off, the torque converter unlocks, so you got a higher RPM. Then it will feel smoother also.
Maybe time for a tune up? MotorVac?
Sorry if I'm not clear. The vehicle seems to go into overdrive prematurely before it reaches proper RPMs and when I start going up an incline it doesn't seem to downshift out of overdrive at the proper RPMs. The engine starts lugging then I must let up off the pedal and wait for it to kickdown into lower gear .It does it with OD only. Otherwise vehicle runs great. I've kept up on all maintaince....plugs, wire, fuel filter ect....
JMJEREMIAH3239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:50 AM   #4
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Electronic transmissions will lock the t-converter when high ATF temperatures are sensed. They do this to reduce hydaulic "slippage" which causes high heat. You could have a temp sensor issue, dirty ATF, clogged filter, clogged cooler or dirty/low engine coolant. The AX4S (or AX4N) needs ATF changeouts every 30-36Kmi max if you want it to last more than 100Kmi.
G/luck
Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #5
RexNfx400
AF Regular

Re: Downshifting

So your actually slowing the vehicle speed down, when you let off the throttle. I see. Well, Someone should monitor the data stream within the computer to see if the system is commanding a automatic downshift. Basically, the first thing you have to do is separate electronic problems from mechanical.
RexNfx400 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar