Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
BobbiesWorld
AF Newbie

Just picked up a 91 Classic and it's got a leak

I got it free from a friend and the only issue is that its got a pretty good coolant leak. It's the 91 caprice classic 5.0l v8. I am thinking its the water pump but I am not sure as most of my knowledge with vehicles is of the Ford variety.

The reason I believe it is the pump is because the leak rides down the lower radiator hose and drips from the bottom of that and you can plainly see that it has been doing this for a little while. Apparently its been like this for a little while and my buddy just put in roughly a cup of coolant each day before going to work(30 miles each way). I was wondering if I should just replace the pump and if so, how to go about it or if maybe its just a gasket or something. Any pointers would be helpful as I would love to fix it myself.

Thanks in advance/

edit-After looking at it again, there is a small bit of coolant around the thermostat. I know that if I replace the pump that I should also replace the thermostat but could the leak just be caused by a bad gasket on the stat? I've got a roll of gasket so that would be an easy fix. Just looking for suggestions.
BobbiesWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Just picked up a 91 Classic and it's got a leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiesWorld View Post
I got it free from a friend and the only issue is that its got a pretty good coolant leak. It's the 91 caprice classic 5.0l v8. I am thinking its the water pump but I am not sure as most of my knowledge with vehicles is of the Ford variety.

The reason I believe it is the pump is because the leak rides down the lower radiator hose and drips from the bottom of that and you can plainly see that it has been doing this for a little while. Apparently its been like this for a little while and my buddy just put in roughly a cup of coolant each day before going to work(30 miles each way). I was wondering if I should just replace the pump and if so, how to go about it or if maybe its just a gasket or something. Any pointers would be helpful as I would love to fix it myself.

Thanks in advance/

edit-After looking at it again, there is a small bit of coolant around the thermostat. I know that if I replace the pump that I should also replace the thermostat but could the leak just be caused by a bad gasket on the stat? I've got a roll of gasket so that would be an easy fix. Just looking for suggestions.

could have 2 leaks. the gasket is prone to leak at the thermostat.

the water pump weep hole is not that hard to get at with your finger also seeing using a mirror and some light.

the water pumps gaskets to the engine could also be leaking see if the mounting bolts are loose.

after you fix the leaks I would replace the coolant , radiator cap, and the thermostat. the pump is not that expensive. I would get a rebuilt one with this engine .

the top hose may also be leaking since this thermostat area is where they blow up / swell..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
AF Regular

Re: Just picked up a 91 Classic and it's got a leak

463 is offline   Reply With Quote