Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
sandshark
AF Newbie

Need some answers

Hi i,m new to the forum and found lots of info on various questions but not quite what i was looking for. I have a 1999 cavalier 2.2l with 156k. I had the head reworked, because my own carelessness the head warped. Everything went perfect with the installation and when we finally started it up it ran perfect, like a new engine. While it was running we noticed a fuel leak at the fuel filter. After fixing that problem we had problems starting it. We replaced the filter and it started right up. It idled really smooth until we revved the engine a little. it started to cough and sputter when it returned to idle speed then it died. Trying to restart the car it was acting like it was starving for fuel. After letting it sit for about 20 minutes we restarted it and it idled smooth, but when we revved the enging it runs smooth until it returned to idle then the coughing and sputtering starts then it dies. Help this is diving me nuts!!
sandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
Tony Pietro
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Need some answers

sounds like sock in gas tank is collapsing. also fuel pump could be defective or leaking. sock (filter) in gas tank is probably the problem. you can and should replace it might as well replace pump in tank while you have it down, or you can just rip the sock off (not recommend this) or you have a leak in one of your fuel lines when you did your other work.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier