Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Discussion All general comments or enquiries go here. Website, club oriented, or general Skyline banter.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
mattitude
AF Newbie

First mods for R33 GTS-t

Hey
I plan to buy a 1996 R33 GTS-t Skyline and have already began planning on how i will modify it. Apart from adding show features like a body kit, spoiler and some new rims, i wanna start giving it some more power.

I will definately put in a cat back exhaust.

But what next?

I think i'll put in a front mount intercooler, boost controller or ECU.

Anyone know what i should put in? Also, roughly how much would these cost from stores around Melbourne?
mattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:02 AM   #2
BLKOUT
AF Newbie

Re: First mods for R33 GTS-t

hey ,
i think : you should get a full high flow exhaust then cooler, boost controler then ecu . cuz your stock ecu can handle moderate mods
BLKOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
tazdev
I'm still here

start of with exhaust and a decent pod filter that should net you around 175kw at the wheels.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
shnailpower
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to shnailpower
yeah, how about you don't add all the "show" stuff and move right to the performance. The crap you shove on the outside only makes you disliked, but more performance and *BOOM!* instant street cred.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
rev210
AF Newbie

If you want to go quicker on the factory turbo the order of modification is pretty much as follows;

Full exhaust (turbo back) ----- The factory cast iron dump pipe off the back of the turbo is poorly made, turbo spools a little earlier as a result in addition to more power.

Lightweight flywheel (chrome molly usually 4.8kg) & Upgraded clutch -------- There is no horsepower benifit to this mod but, you will find accelleration substancially improved due to lower inertia. The factory clutch isn't going to live very long with the extra power so change it at the same time.

Pineapples (diff cradle bushes) --- no not the tropical fruit, but diff cradle bushes to help the rear 'squat' better under accelleration. The gtst loves to fry the tyres so give it a hand and fit some of these.

Boost controller (there is a pretty good one around on the skylinesaustralia forum for $22 or go and buy a Profec B) ------ here's a tip with the factory turbo keep it at 10-12psi no matter what. In fact 10psi is plenty. Why because your ceramic turbine likes nothing better than to fly appart when you punch in 14psi. You don't need 14psi to make good power anyway.

With just these ones and a good set of tyres your looking at mid to low 13's over the 1/4 mile.

Apexi Power FC ECU change ---- get the ignition and fuel maps right and you pick up plenty of power over the factory ecu.

Well that should get you started....oh wait I haven't told you to get an intercooler have I?

You get one of those either when you are ready to upgrade the turbo etc. or if you are planing to circuit race the car. The factory one although pretty crappy is big enough to cope with all the power the factory turbo can push into it, while maintaining engine response. It is quite easy to go backwards in performance with one of these.

As an example my old car 1995 R33 GTST ran 10psi of boost, only had a S-AFC and ran 13.3@106mph with a crap 2.3 60ft on cheap 205 tyres, normal pump fuel. No front mounted intercooler on that one. Although on the same night there were at least 6 other R33's who did run front mounted coolers and all of them were slower.

have fun
rev210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #6
rev210
AF Newbie

one more thing...

A pod filter without a heat shield is a big step backwards in performance. In fact for the hassle of fitting a custom heat sheild for a pod filter you will gain nothing at all in power over the factory R33 airbox with just a K&N or pipercross replacement element. The design is actually very good so save your money. The factory blowoff valves work well too so leave it alone. Unless you want the pa-choo noise there is nothing to gain there either.
rev210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:58 AM   #7
AussieGTS-T
AF Regular

I have had my 95 R33 GTST for a couple of months now and have noticed that it really needs a intercooler thats bigger than the stock ones on hotter days. Once I get some more money in i will also be looking at upgrading the performance of my car.

god created turbo lag so V8's could keep up
AussieGTS-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
driftingjay
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: First mods for R33 GTS-t

hey mate i got same skyline like u...do u no any driffting shows around australia(victoria)...
driftingjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #9
driftingjay
AF Newbie

mate i got 95 gtst skyline and i change it to pod filter and now its sputter all the time when i boost it..it sucking too much air make it so loud....i change spark plugs and its still
look like miss firing still don no wat to do...plz help cheers
driftingjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:50 AM   #10
mmcleo11
AF Regular

www.gktech.com.au

Cheap front mount intercooler kits

Smashed Black VY SS Ute
The workhorse...
Twin turbo 5.7L LS1
Boyd Coddington 19" Turbine Wheels
AP Racing 4 Piston Brakes
Tein Coil over Suspension
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller
PLX Devices DM-200 OBDII
Custom Front Mount Intercooler
mmcleo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
GTSGOD
AF Newbie

did u end up doin your mods cause i just bought a 96 gtst (hauls ass by the way) and its only standard with a cat back exhaust. my mates think its modified. i beat vz ss's :P and only on 6 psi.. also ive heard 12 psi is the max psi u can run on the stock turbo cause somethings plastic idk. lemme know what best mods for the skyline are on a max of 12 psi
GTSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #12
mmcleo11
AF Regular

Yes, they can only run 12 psi or the exhaust wheel overspeeds and falls off, normally ending up in front of your catalytic converter.

Front mount intercooler kit, 12 psi via a bleed valve(better yet, get the T3 turbo hi-flowed to a T3/T4 setup and run 22psi with aftermarket ECU) and a 3" exhaust from thwe turbo back with a metal biscuit catalytic converter.

Smashed Black VY SS Ute
The workhorse...
Twin turbo 5.7L LS1
Boyd Coddington 19" Turbine Wheels
AP Racing 4 Piston Brakes
Tein Coil over Suspension
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller
PLX Devices DM-200 OBDII
Custom Front Mount Intercooler
mmcleo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #13
GTSGOD
AF Newbie

i ended up putting the turbo back system on it and i think ill keep it standard. goes better now and i dont wanna blow anything up if i boost it lol
GTSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion