Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
LadySmith
AF Newbie

Question Automatic Locks when you put car in gear - wiring question

I have a wiring issue/question about my 1995 Buick Park Avenue.

I'm not sure what it's called, but you know when you put the car in gear and the doors lock automatically? Well, mine quit working a long time ago...don't even remember when. I had actually forgotten about that feature. When it quit, I had just assumed a fuse had blown.

Anyway, the other day when it was really really cold outside and I had cranked up the car to let it be defrosting and warming up before taking my son to school. Well, when I put it in gear, the doors locked and I remembered how it used to do that. I didn't know why it all of a sudden starting working.

Well, when I got back home, and turned the ignition off, the radio was still going until I opened the door. Then, I remembered the car used to do this too and whatever it was, the 2 things are related (a certain wire) somehow.

Well, that afternoon when I left to go pick my son up from school, these things were no longer working on the car. I didn't know what had made it start back working for that short period of time and what I had done to make it stop working.

I think it has something to do with some of the wiring in the driver's side door. The reason I think this is because the handle thing that you close the door with all the window controls on it kinda gives a little bit and sometimes the passenger side window control doesn't work and sometimes it does. If it doesn't work, you can kinda mash that driver's side door handle and it will make it work again. So, I really think some of the wiring in there has something wrong with it. But, does anyone know which wire goes to what in there?

I would really like the automatic locks when the car is put in gear to work as well as the radio staying on when you turn it off until you open the door. It'd also be nice for the passenger side window control to work every time without me having to get hubby to push around on that driver's side door to get it work....lol

So, does anyone have any wiring diagram of that or know what wire controls what in there?

New owner of a 1999 Buick Century Custom - 75,000 miles
LadySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
ZiggyPA
AF Regular

Re: Automatic Locks when you put car in gear - wiring question

Quote:
I'm not sure what it's called, but you know when you put the car in gear and the doors lock automatically?
anti-car jacking?

Unfortunately it seems the PA's of this age have a lot of electrical issues with these features, I have a bunch of them myself, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
ZiggyPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
LadySmith
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyPA
anti-car jacking?

Unfortunately it seems the PA's of this age have a lot of electrical issues with these features, I have a bunch of them myself, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
I know that electrical issues such as this are common with many vehicles of this age, but I was just hoping I could figure out which wire or whatever it is. I'm really thinking it is the wiring in the door, but don't know which one controls what. It really seems that whatever controls the automatic locks when you put it in gear also controls the radio staying on until the door is open.

Then, I think there's a different wire somewhere in there that controls the passenger window control. The driver side control can roll down the passenger window at any time, but the passenger side window control works when it wants to it seems. But, if you mash around on the driver's side inside door, it kinda moves around and then the passenger control will work...lol

I was reading on another thread about something called a PNP (Park/ Neutral Position) switch/ circuit. Where is that located and would it have anything to do with this?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
LadySmith
AF Newbie

Maybe hubby can take the driver's side door panel off in the next few days and check it out. While he's at it, I'm gonna get him to check the wires going to some of the seat adjustments because some of them aren't working either.

But, in the meantime, if anyone knows what wire goes to what, please post.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

It sounds like the Remote Accessory Control Module isn't getting the signal that the door has been closed. Could be a bad switch or a wiring problem. Send me a private message with an email address & I'll get you a wiring diagram.
Mickey#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
LadySmith
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey#1
It sounds like the Remote Accessory Control Module isn't getting the signal that the door has been closed. Could be a bad switch or a wiring problem. Send me a private message with an email address & I'll get you a wiring diagram.
Thanks, Mickey#1. I sent you a PM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue