Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
east1999
AF Newbie

Talking JVC KD-G400 deck and Zune 80GB hookup

I have seen several examples of people hooking up their Zune to this JVC and similar JVC decks. What they did is get the JVC Line Input Adapter (JVC KS-U57 pictured here http://www.mobile.jvc.com/product.js...ge=1&pathId=62 ) and then used the zune a/v cable to hook up to it.

Well, I figured why do I need two cables instead of one? So I searched and found a JVC Aux Adapter J-Link to 3.5 Mini (pictured here http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Aux-Adapte.../dp/B000GFH2IC ).

I plug the adapter into the CD Changer slot on the back of my KD-G400 deck. Then I ran the 3.5 mini out to my Zune. I cannot get audio output though. I changed the "EXT IN" setting on my JVC deck to CD CHANGER, but cannot select the CD Changer to play as it says no CDs detected. I then changed EXT IN to Line In and I DO hear some music if I turn the volume WAY up, but its too soft and too much static/interference.

Question is this, do I HAVE to buy the stupid KS-U57 adapter and hook up to the Zune via the a/v cables, or can I make the adapter I did buy work? Maybe its a problem with the settings on the deck? I DLed the service and install manual and cannot find anything I did wrong.

Thanks!
east1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
east1999
AF Newbie

Re: JVC KD-G400 deck and Zune 80GB hookup

FYI, I fiddled with the volume and I do get sound from this, though it is mono and only comes from the right side of the car, and it sounds like crap with a lot of noise and interference coming through. Looks like I do need to get the stupid KS-U57 adapter and then I'll have stereo output... ?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

intefacing equipment like this is often dicey at best. Ususally there premade options are the best and most reliable.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
doctorhrdware
AF Enthusiast

I have a 1gig Sansa mp3 player. The Kenwood deck that I bought for the wife, the deck has a 3.5 MM jack input on the front panel. So I just plug in the mp3 player on the front of the deck.
doctorhrdware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
east1999
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: JVC KD-G400 deck and Zune 80GB hookup

Ok. I shelled out the cash and did it right. I bought the official JVC adapter and a monster stereo mini to RCA (links below). I press mode and CD on the head unit to switch to line in. Volume is controlled on both the Zune and the head unit. Stereo output sounds great and takes advantage of the amp and sub. Total cost was about $66 but well worth it to have your entire cd library with you without swapping through a thousand CDs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WpAe5lq...spx?i=105KSU57

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/produ...eo+to+dual+rca

BTW, Crutchfield sent me an exclusive 20% OFF my next $99 purchase (exp. 10/14/08). Since I won't be using it, whoever gets it first is more than welcome to it: sf1gd-wjqxt-k8kcw
Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Rhi311
AF Newbie

I had a stereo store install the cable for me and it worked great. The only problem is that i removed the face plate and it reset what was set up. The cable is still plugged in through the back but i can't figure out how to get EXT IN come up. I've tried holding down mode and cd at the same time but still, nothing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but any help would save this girl a trip to the stereo store. Thank u
Rhi311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

You have to have the device plugged in and turned on before the headunit will see it the first time. Try that first.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
east1999
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhi311 View Post
I had a stereo store install the cable for me and it worked great. The only problem is that i removed the face plate and it reset what was set up. The cable is still plugged in through the back but i can't figure out how to get EXT IN come up. I've tried holding down mode and cd at the same time but still, nothing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but any help would save this girl a trip to the stereo store. Thank u
Don't press mode and CD at the same time. Press and hold Mode until the options come up, then press CD until the display reads EXT IN.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio