Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
GMCjet52
AF Newbie

Tranny replaced, now it wont start!

Just got thru replacing the tranny in my 2000 4x4 S-10 blazer, went to go start it and it just turns over. I had the battery disconnected for about a week during the tranny project.

I haven't checked anything yet, just wondering if the battery being unhooked might cause a problem.....

Anyone?
GMCjet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tranny replaced, now it wont start!

dunno, what's the V of the battery now?
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
GMCjet52
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricebike View Post
dunno, what's the V of the battery now?
It's fully charged. I even used a engine crank box. S-10s suck!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
smsrobertks
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to smsrobertks

no it shouldnt. check your security light.does it come on? does it stay on a few seconds and go out.if it stays on it maybe in security mode which shuts off fuel to the injectors.if the light goes out after 10 or so seconds then it is probably something else.check for spark to the plug wires. if u can get to an injector plug u can check to see if it is getting juice using a small marker light bulb inserting in to the injector plug connectors turn it over if it flashes then u have injector pulse and should be working properly. can u hear the feul pump turn on to pressuerise the fuel system. if not try sprying some carb cleaner {not starting fluid as that is very ruff on the engine}while some one trys to start it.does the check engin light come on when the key is in the run position? BUT FIRST MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS HOT SO IT TURNS THE ENGINE OVER FAST ENUFF.good luck let us know.
smsrobertks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
GMCjet52
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrobertks View Post
no it shouldnt. check your security light.does it come on? does it stay on a few seconds and go out.if it stays on it maybe in security mode which shuts off fuel to the injectors.if the light goes out after 10 or so seconds then it is probably something else.check for spark to the plug wires. if u can get to an injector plug u can check to see if it is getting juice using a small marker light bulb inserting in to the injector plug connectors turn it over if it flashes then u have injector pulse and should be working properly. can u hear the feul pump turn on to pressuerise the fuel system. if not try sprying some carb cleaner {not starting fluid as that is very ruff on the engine}while some one trys to start it.does the check engin light come on when the key is in the run position? BUT FIRST MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS HOT SO IT TURNS THE ENGINE OVER FAST ENUFF.good luck let us know.
The security light goes out after a few seconds.

I cannot hear the fuel pump running. Please don't tell me it's a fuel pump, how can it go bad from sitting for a week, it was fine before.

I'll try some carb cleaner later on today.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
smsrobertks
AF Newbie

ok! first dont give up YET! remeber it just a truck made by humans and subject to occsasional failures.most times folks get up go to work or just go to the store and in just a few minutes they come out and wont start then they have to be towed.if thats what it is atleast you were home when it happend.fuel pump replacements suck but are usally fairly easy. unless u live in the rust belt.if u like u can also try having someone try to start the truck while u hit the tank with a heavy rubber mallet or 2 by four or use your own judgement there . sometimes that will jogg the pump and it may run again but if it does that is still just a check proceduer not a cure. older gm cars with the older computuers used to bad about doing the same start it up stop at the store ,bam no start they come in on a hook get them in the shop find the computer tapp them somtimes take them out of the holder and squezz and twist them and they would start. but most times folks dont change the fuel filter as part of preventive maintenace { around 30-50,000 miles } .as the filter gets full of dirt and or contaminants it gets harder and harder for the fuel pump to get fuel thru the filter causing premature pump failure. but it still is just part of the big picture. occasionaly fuel pump relays and or fuses will be the prolbem.if all that checks out to be good and the pump still wont run then u can disconect the power sending unit plug { near fule tank } and use a test light have someone turn the key on and off waiting a few seconds on each turn ,to make sure it is getting power.if it is getting power the light will only be on for a few seconds and will go out.repeat the procedur several times just so u can be sure it. i hope this helps some. i am not perfect and some of my info may be incomplete or in accurite after all i am only human.but maybe this will propmt otherrs to chim in. good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
GMCjet52
AF Newbie

Ok, I have no spark, no fuel & no security light

Zero fuel pressure at the rail.

Tried using carb cleaner while starting, it made no difference what-so-ever.

Battery is good & I'm using a charger with a 225amp engine crank. Its turning over fast.

How much will I get for this at the local crushing yard???
Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
smsrobertks
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCjet52 View Post

Battery is good & I'm using a charger with a 225amp engine crank. Its turning over fast.

How much will I get for this at the local crushing yard???
RIGHT NOW SCRAP IS VERY CHEAP HERE ITS ONLY GOING FOR #40.00 A TON IF YOU GET TO THE SCRAP YARD YOURSELF.YOURS MYBE HIGER THERE THAN HERE.IF ALL THOSE THINGS ARENT WORKING AT THE SAME TIME ARE U SURE THE CHECK ENGIN LIGHT COMES ON WITH THE KEY JUST IN THE RUN POSTION. OTHER THAN THE PCM BEING BAD OR NOT GETTING JUICE { BROKEN WIRE OR WIRE'S DEFINATLY THINK ABOUT ANY GROUNDS YOU MAY HAVE MAY HAVE NOT BOLTED OR HOOKED BACK UP.} CHECK FUSES INSIDE THE TRUCK AS WELL UNDER THE HOOD. U MAY HAVE ALREADY DOEN THESE THINGS. I DONT KNOW. IF YOU CAN REPLACE A TRANNY THEN U SOUND PRETTY COMPATENT. I AM JUST TRYING TO HELP.ALSO IF YOUR IN THE SOUTH THEN U WONT HAVE ANY RUST BELT ISSUES THAT WE HAVE UP HERE WITH THE SALT CORRODING WIRES AND CONNECTORS. SORRY I WILL KEEP THINKING.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
smsrobertks
AF Newbie

I made a slight mistake.when it in securty mode it shuts off injector power.that how it stops it from running. Not the fuel pump!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
GMCjet52
AF Newbie

Update!!!

The Check engine light (service engine) does not come on at all with the key is the on position. What does this mean?

I did scan the vehicle----no codes.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
blazes9395
Newbie mod

Quote:

No spark/no fuel = No start.

If you have no pressure, then you'll have to re check all your connections under the truck, make sure you didnt pinch any wiring when you were installing the transmission. Having the battery disconnected for a long period will not hamper it starting once reconnected.

No SES light is an indication something not cennected or is shorting. Check your underhood fuses for ignition and PCM.
blazes9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
GMCjet52
AF Newbie

Ok, I think we're getting closer. My previous assumptions were wrong, here are the facts:

-It has good spark. (checked with a spark tester)
-The fuel pump relay is clicking on and off when the key is cycled.
-I cannot hear the fuel pump running at all.
-It will start up with carb cleaner sprayed into throttle body, as soon as I stop spraying it dies. (The last time I tried I wasn't using enough carb cleaner)
-No CEL/SES light with the key in the on position. (maybe the light is burnt out)
-No fuel pressure at rail valve.
-All fuses checked good

I suppose I need to check for power at the fuel pump plug.

I have a funny feeling all this points to the fuel pump...
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
smsrobertks
AF Newbie

Quote:
Ok, I think we're getting closer. My previous assumptions were wrong, here are the facts:

-It has good spark. (checked with a spark tester)
-The fuel pump relay is clicking on and off when the key is cycled.
-I cannot hear the fuel pump running at all.
-It will start up with carb cleaner sprayed into throttle body, as soon as I stop spraying it dies. (The last time I tried I wasn't using enough carb cleaner)
-No CEL/SES light with the key in the on position. (maybe the light is burnt out)
-No fuel pressure at rail valve.
-All fuses checked good

I suppose I need to check for power at the fuel pump plug.

I have a funny feeling all this points to the fuel pump...
yes follow what i said before what u have not already tried.if there is no check engine light in the run position then that could mean dead computer.or no power to the computer. but if it will run off of carb cleaner and u cant here the fuel pump then the computer could be in limp/default mode which is puzzeling because the fuel pump should still run. yes check power to the fuel pump or first try taking out the fuel pump relay and jumping it with a hot wire tie a wire to the battery.becarefull at least on of the prongs will be a ground. just touch the wire to the prongs one at a time.listen for the fuel pump to run.this is putting juice straight to the pump.you should know which prong is the ground it will spark pretty good. stay away from that one.touch the other ones and u should see or hear a light spark that will be the pump running prong. touch that one several times hold for a 2-3 seconds several times.if u cant hear the pump check the fule rail for pressure. if u have pressure then have someone try to crank it while you power the fule pump. try taht. and see and listen and get back with us. i hope this is helping.i am much better at diagnoising when i can actually put my hands on the vehical.good luck!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
djd99
AF Regular

Quote:
Just got thru replacing the tranny in my 2000 4x4 S-10 blazer, went to go start it and it just turns over. I had the battery disconnected for about a week during the tranny project.

I haven't checked anything yet, just wondering if the battery being unhooked might cause a problem.....

Anyone?
I had the same problem after replacing my transmission, when the job was done it wouldn't start. I had to relearn the security system and then it started right up. You might want to give it a try. I found the procedure on one of the threads on this forum. Your situation could be a little different but worth a try at least.
djd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
GMCjet52
AF Newbie

I should also mention that before any tranny work was done the Blazer wouldn't start under it's own power with a brand new battery. The only way it would start is with a jump.

I had this problem a few days before starting the tranny work.

Which wires on the fuel pump plug do I need to check for power?

I noticed the fuel pump wires have been messed with, they have been spliced.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis