Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm
1997 GP Thermostat

Hello again guys!

I installed a new thermostat (180 degrees)¡ in my Grand Prix (didn't have any ) but have a few questions about it:

1.- Is Motorad a good brand?

2.- How long it should take to warm up to normal temperature?.

3.- I installed the thermostat without the gasket, didn't come with it, instead of the gasket I used some Permatex water pump and thermostat housing seal
Do you think this will be a problem?. I'm not a cheap bastard LOL, but I forgot the gasket when I bought the stat and since I really needed the car I couldn't drive to get the new gasket...

4.- When driving at the city the temp goes a little upper than 210 (this is 100% normal AFAIK.

5.- During highway driving the temperature goes only to the 1/4 mark, sometimes a little less. Is this OK or is the engine running too cold?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: 1997 GP Thermostat

Since you live in a hot climate (at least I assume the area of Mexico you live in is a hot climate), you shouldn't have any issues with the 180 t-stat. The factory is 195, but all your guage readings sound perfectly normal. So, unless you get a P0128 code (coolant temperature below t-stat regulating temperature) you should be fine running it.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Hi there! It's been a long time Rich,

Thanks for your help; I live at the center of the republic, this is a mid-temperature zone not too hot nor too cold, the lowest temperatures might be close to 23ºF but only on ver cold winters and 41 during a common winter, in any other case normal temperature is around 80ºF. So far there are no codes and even when the car was running without a thermostat I never got any t-stat DTC so I guess there is nothing to worry about...

Best regards,

Oscar.

PS. I learned something new today after cleaning the IAC; if it's dirty it can cause the steering pump to whine, that had been driving me crazy for about two years, I replaced the pump twice and no success; took it to the mechanic and got the rack rebuilt, all seals were replaced... no success. I never had any stalling or RPM problems until the last weekend when they were jumping up and down without any apparent cause. I decided to inspect the IAC and it was full of carbon; gave it a good clean, topped the steering reservoir and voila the whining noise is gone! and everything thanks to this great forum. Thank you all guys!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olopezm View Post
So far there are no codes and even when the car was running without a thermostat I never got any t-stat DTC so I guess there is nothing to worry about...
Thats because you have a 1997 model. It doesn't give off a thermostat related DTC like P0128. GM didn't program that into the PCM module until around 2001 and up models when the SII 3800 engine became Lev III emissions certified. But that doesn't mean there is nothing to worry about. The main problem with thermostats rated at 180 or 160 or having none is it takes longer to get the engine up to operating temperature and also the HVAC heater.

Also, in Mexico I don't think emissions or environmental or fuel economy is an issue(s) compared to the U.S.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor View Post
Thats because you have a 1997 model. It doesn't give off a thermostat related DTC like P0128. GM didn't program that into the PCM module until around 2001 and up models when the SII 3800 engine became Lev III emissions certified. But that doesn't mean there is nothing to worry about. The main problem with thermostats rated at 180 or 160 or having none is it takes longer to get the engine up to operating temperature and also the HVAC heater.
I see, I don't have to worry about the HVAC heater temperature since my heater core stopped working a long time ago, maybe I'll replace soon who knows... so, bottom line: Will I have any other problem besides the engine taking longer to heat up?.

Quote:
Also, in Mexico I don't think emissions or environmental or fuel economy is an issue(s) compared to the U.S.
You might be right, yet we have to take the car twice every year for emissions test. But even if that wouldn't be an issue I still care about environment and the only reason I kept driving it without a t-stat was because the "mechanic" who fixed a cracked head didn't put the original back in amongst other things (literally broken MAP sensor, no air filter installed and so on...) that was about six months ago, but the car was sitting for 3 months because of a broken trailing arm and lots of problems at home... and the other 3 months I was working on the other two rides we own.

Thanks for your help Bob

Best regards,

Oscar.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
BNaylor
AF Moderator

No heater?

Hard to say and if any other issues will come up especially based on the age of your GP. Using the 180 degree thermostat should be fine in your area. The stock 195 degree is used for emissions control but doesn't mean its better based on your circumstances.

BTW -Is your air conditioner working?

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 11-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
No heater?

Hard to say and if any other issues will come up especially based on the age of your GP. Using the 180 degree thermostat should be fine in your area. The stock 195 degree is used for emissions control but doesn't mean its better based on your circumstances.

BTW -Is your air conditioner working?
Yes the A/C is working, I replaced the motor resistor not long ago because it was working only at the highest setting, everything is good now. The problem with the heater is because the heater core was leaking into the passenger compartment, one day I found the carpet was totally green and since then I bypassed the heater hoses at the tensioner assembly.

It doesn't really bothers me because of the driver's heated seat, anyone else who gets in the car whit me during a cold day should worry about it

That will be my next project for this car: replacing the heater core. I'll let you guys now about it

Best regards,

Oscar.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Your "in city" engine temps a little high but not that bad. You do have the temp gauge that starts at 160 degrees F? Since your A/C is operational do both cooling fans turn on with the A/C running and at idle?

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 11-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Yes both fans come on at a moderate speed with the A/C on, the gauge reading starts at 100F.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

I was cleaning the engine compartment yesterday and I found two connectors unplugged which I have no idea where do these belong to:

BOTH connectors have 2 pins.
1.- The first one is near the windshield water reservoir and it has a green gasket.
2.- The second is at the opposite side near the air intake and has a blue gasket on it; I'm not sure but could this be the fuel pump test connector?.

Any idea about what are these two for?.

Also I've noticed that the fans don't seem to rotate too fast, I've been reading and found a post in the forum saying the speeds are controlled by two different relays, are both relays located at the box under the hood?. I didn't know about the fail-safe mode after unplugging the ECT sensor, I'll try that tomorrow.

The temp gauge goes only a bit higher than 210 (maybe 23x?) it never touches the last quarter before the red zone.

Thanks

Best regards,

Oscar.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
grandprixgtx00
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to grandprixgtx00

Quote:
1.- The first one is near the windshield water reservoir and it has a green gasket.
2.- The second is at the opposite side near the air intake and has a blue gasket on it; I'm not sure but could this be the fuel pump test connector?.

Any idea about what are these two for?
number 1 sounds like the sensor for the windshield washer fluid maybe?

number 2 I'm not real sure about. Does this have an OE intake, or aftermarket? It sounds like it could be the IAT sensor? I don't remember if it has a blue gasket on it or not...

grandprixgtx00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Thanks grandprixctx00,

It's an OEM intake, the IAT is properly connected and the one at the other side is not the reservoir level sensor, I checked it today and the reservoir has both connectors plugged in: one for the small water pump and one for the level sensor.

Best regards,

Oscar.

EDIT: sorry, meant to say grandprixgtx00

Last edited by olopezm; 11-17-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 AM   #13
doctorhrdware
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I see, I don't have to worry about the HVAC heater temperature since my heater core stopped working a long time ago, maybe I'll replace soon who knows.
I would freeze if I had no heat. It must be nice not to have to worry about, having no heat. I would put a fireplace in the car just to keep warm.
But I must say that so far my GP has been good since I had the engine replaced about 3 years ago. No comments from BNaylor about the warm weather way down in TX. But I did see that you might get a cold front from way way up north. Say as in from Canada. Alaska is already down to -30.
doctorhrdware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhrdware View Post
I would freeze if I had no heat. It must be nice not to have to worry about, having no heat. I would put a fireplace in the car just to keep warm.
But I must say that so far my GP has been good since I had the engine replaced about 3 years ago. No comments from BNaylor about the warm weather way down in TX. But I did see that you might get a cold front from way way up north. Say as in from Canada. Alaska is already down to -30.
LOL on the fireplace thing!. You're right a cold front is already around the corner and it's chilling already. It's a good thing temperatures don't get that low over here, however I would like to spend sometime at a cold place.

I guess you never know what you want LOL.

Best regards,

Oscar.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #15
doctorhrdware
AF Enthusiast

In my younger days the cold did not bother me, but being older and several back surgeries I do not handle the cold weather any more. The best place for good cold weather would be northern Minnesota.
doctorhrdware is offline   Reply With Quote