Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
MyKittenIsSexy
AF Newbie

Talking First Car

So I'm getting my first car in the next couple months, I had planned on go for the must fuel efficient I could afford, but now I going in the complete opposite direction and considering an older Camaro. I found a couple ads on Craigslist that aren't too far out of my price range. I'm looking for a second opinion on reliably, and how much I'd spend on gas. Also how much can I fit inside it, like all teenagers I plan on putting a new sound system my car no matter what I get. Thanks
MyKittenIsSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: First Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKittenIsSexy View Post
So I'm getting my first car in the next couple months, I had planned on go for the must fuel efficient I could afford, but now I going in the complete opposite direction and considering an older Camaro. I found a couple ads on Craigslist that aren't too far out of my price range. I'm looking for a second opinion on reliably, and how much I'd spend on gas. Also how much can I fit inside it, like all teenagers I plan on putting a new sound system my car no matter what I get. Thanks
having one of these I can say this is not a very good idea. these vehicles are dangerous in the winter , even in the rain, being a new driver this is not good.

your first vehicle should be a good MPG vehicle that is designed to use in winter driving. the vehicle needs new tires and brakes. check your fluids every week and know exactly what spec fluids the vehicle requires . do not mix in the wrong type of oil/coolant/transmission/power steering etc..there are many types of coolant and oils.

the new camaro is just as bad as the older ones in bad winter weather..

gas MPG on my 1984 is about 14 MPH max.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

My '86 gets about 25 on the highway, and a lot less in city driving when the fun pedal gets more use. And the Cat is right - They're not a great vehicle for marginal traction conditions. Mine gets a little loose even on dry pavement, is a handful on water, and was a nightmare the one time I got caught in a dusting of snow in late November one year.

That said, I drove a '67 Firebird with a V-8, Powerglide, and open diff through the winter of '78/79 without a problem. It was still not a great winter vehicle, but with a little judicious application of the accelerator and brake it did O.K. through one of the worst winters on record. Fortunately, we only get snow and ice for about 5 months out of the year, so it's not nearly as bad as in some other areas.

Conversely, once of the best winter vehicles I've ever had was a Fiero with skinny winter tires. As long as the snow wasn't more than 5" deep it would get through it. It was probably better on ice than any 2WD (front or rear) that I've ever driven, and that has been quite a few.

My current winter driver is an S-10 pickup with 2WD (non-locker) and a manual trans. With a little added rear end weight I frequently drive past quite a few 4WD/AWD vehicles which have gone off-roading unintentionally. I have a FWD LeSabre as a backup winter driver but it, like most FWD vehicles, has the nasty tendency to push when doing anything but coasting in neutral. I'd much rather have the front axle free to steer and brake and the option of steering with the rear via the accelerator.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
thzpcs
AF Newbie

Well, I honestly won't flat out say "don't get X car" but based on what you're telling us, a Camaro might not be the best option at the moment. My first car at your age was a VW GTI, and I absolutely loved that car. It's great on gas, handles really well, and can fit a ton of stuff. RWD and poor on gas isn't really the best decision for a teen these days. Conversely, get what makes you happy! If everyone got the safest and most economical cars, we'd all be driving beige Camrys!
thzpcs is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
camaro , car , chevy
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions