Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
TheNotoriousMogg
AF's #1 Bad Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheNotoriousMogg Send a message via Yahoo to TheNotoriousMogg
do it yourself window tinting

Ok guys, I am stationed in Alaska! and in the city of Anchorage their are 2 places that tint windows and it costs around $150-190 to get your windows tinted.

I woud like to save some of my hard earned cheese and do it myself. Can anyone offer any tips on doing this? Is it going to bubble??????? I have plenty of patience and time so I could do it.

What do I need other than tint? a squeege(sp)? a spray bottle?

Thanks

thegrumpysergeant.net
TheNotoriousMogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 03:14 PM   #2
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

I thought you dropped off the planet. :hehehe: I suggest you just spend your money and have a pro do it. It can be done but I do not suggest it. Those prices are'nt that bad either.
B16EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:23 AM   #3
sparq
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to sparq
Its well worth the $150-190 to have a pro do it.

RIP AUNIE
sparq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
sickhonda
AF Regular

TheNotoriousMogg,

I'm no expert in window tinting but seen so many done at the local speed shop. Originally wanting to pick up some pointers before doing it on my own ride. I understand that you want to save your hard earned cheese, but having it done by a pro is the most cost effective option.

$150 –190 sounds like a good deal, of course depending on what type film they intend to use. You said it yourself, only two places in your current location, they can easily jack up their prices even more if they want to because of lack of competition.

Doing it yourself is a big pain and it will cost you more for the supply alone. Even the experts have to redo some mistakes they made and that necessitate more film than usual, which means more cheese. No matter how patient you really are, this is not an easy task to tackle, especially when you get to the back window.

If you need more convincing, go to http://forum.gr8tint.com/, and ask the expert. You’ll learn a lot more in this tint forum, as far as, what type film to choose, tips and materials you need for DIY. Most likely, they’ll just talk you out of it.
:bandit:
sickhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:43 PM   #5
TheNotoriousMogg
AF's #1 Bad Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheNotoriousMogg Send a message via Yahoo to TheNotoriousMogg
Quote:
Originally posted by B16EJ1
I thought you dropped off the planet. :hehehe: I suggest you just spend your money and have a pro do it. It can be done but I do not suggest it. Those prices are'nt that bad either.
Still alive bro, thanks for looking out for the worse =\

thegrumpysergeant.net
TheNotoriousMogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:24 AM   #6
BullShifter
AF Moderator

If you have never tinted before, dont use your own car as your 1st attempt.

www.tintdude.com

I worked for a tinting company for a few months & 1 thing I can say is that its an art. Takes some practice to acheive decent results.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 08:45 PM   #7
sublimewls
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sublimewls
well if you are really strapped for cash you could attempt your front sides or back sides yourself... but i would recommend the back be done by a pro... and like everyone else has said before that isn't too bad. I got mine done for 160... i got quoted 250 just for my back three.

Mods: Pioneer P4300 Deck, 2 MTX Thunder 4000 Subwoofers, MTX Thunder4242 2-channel amp, tint, clear corners, peeling blacked out tails, newly painted steelies
Future: Coilovers, 16" gunmetal motegi mr7's

sublimewls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #8
abstract821
AF Enthusiast

Have a pro do it. I'm telling you man, that do-it-yourself shiznit is no good at all. If you are lucky enuff to not get any bubbles, it'll eventually peel or turn blue.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:12 AM   #9
platanoPrELUDE
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to platanoPrELUDE Send a message via Yahoo to platanoPrELUDE
my suggestion is if you have time on your hands and are familiar enough with your door you can take the windows out and for the back windows take all the trim around out too i took my front windows out and they came out ok no bubbles
platanoPrELUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:53 AM   #10
hexaine
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hexaine
I tried it before and it wasn't an easy task. In fact, it sucked ass. Took a while to do one side with no bubbles, then made a sloppy mistake and had to redo it all over. But I'm sure if I spent another 20 hours it would have been a bit closer to what I want. Nah, I think I'll let a pro do it