Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
aaronmen
AF Newbie

K&N Cold air intake tips for 1991 Chevy S10

I'd like to try and do a replacement/upgrade K&N cold air intake for my 1991 Chevy S10. The engine is the 4.3 TBI (fuel injected) model. I have not bought the kit yet as I am wondering how this will affect other functions of the motor. Does anyone out there have tips for me?
aaronmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: K&N Cold air intake tips for 1991 Chevy S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmen View Post
I'd like to try and do a replacement/upgrade K&N cold air intake for my 1991 Chevy S10. The engine is the 4.3 TBI (fuel injected) model. I have not bought the kit yet as I am wondering how this will affect other functions of the motor. Does anyone out there have tips for me?
if you live in an area of warm dry weather this type mod will not create any problems. living in an area of rain/snow/corrosive chemicals these intakes will cause problems with engine operation.

you have a 4.3L engine 1991 . with this setup the cold air intake will not give you any gains in anything. your just wasting your money.

If you had a modified high horse power engine then these type intakes help. with an engine like you have the air intake is limited by the engine design not the OEM air intake.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
scripter
AF Newbie

Installing a Cold Air intake should cause no other issues with any vehicle
scripter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scripter View Post
Installing a Cold Air intake should cause no other issues with any vehicle

if you are from florida having that opinion is believable. however with cold weather these cause many problems. the air gets too cold for the fuel to properly vaporize and create a good burn easpecially on a cold start. this then causes excessive carbon deposits.

corrosives used to melt snow / ice eat at the filter elements and get injested into the engine. snow coats the filter blocking air flow.

these issues up in a colder climate make this a seasonal add on at best with no real gains.

in a very hot climate this should work to reduce the injested air temp to aid in better performance ..like temps over 100deg f..
Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
spike1269
AF Newbie

I have heard really bad things about adding a K&N to the 4.3s I dunno about where the MAF sensor is because you have the TBI insted of CSFI I have heard if it is an oil base air filter they clog or mess up the MAF sensors. Hope this helped
spike1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1269 View Post
I have heard really bad things about adding a K&N to the 4.3s I dunno about where the MAF sensor is because you have the TBI insted of CSFI I have heard if it is an oil base air filter they clog or mess up the MAF sensors. Hope this helped
the reason they , the owners of some K&N air filter vehicles mess up the maf sensor wire is , because they do not read the instructions . it is not idiot proof . they put too much oil on these filters and it coats the small sensor wire.

they do not clog up anything . all it takes is a small oil coating on the sensor wire to cause maf error.

the owners that do not follow the instructions are bad not the filter.
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
spike1269 (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
jdmccright
The RustBuster

The '91 used a MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor and has the old-style round air filter sitting atop the dual-injector TB. There is a snorkel but no MAF to foul up.

The restrictions in the TBI system are the factory preset fuel pressure and the TB bores. Adding the CAI probably won't help or hurt, but cold-weather start-up may be more difficult due to removal of the thermostatic air heater assembly.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdmccright For This Useful Post:
spike1269 (03-22-2013)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10