Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 04:10 PM   #1
dgawrylow
AF Newbie

How do I convince my little brother not to waste money on his Geo?

My little brother wants to spend money on his Geo, I told him well then just do Audio and sound. Basicly how do I intervene and show him the stupidity of spending his cash on his car?

I've worked on Nissans, VDubs, and DSMs mainly so I know what is a waste and what is not. Sure I have heard of the people dropping SR20 power into the Geo, but thatd cost a good $8000 to do to the Geo so its novel and funny but still stupid.

Give me some idea's...and dont say "Its a Geo!" That hasnt worked.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:07 PM   #2
Cyprus106
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Cyprus106
Beat him with a HUGE stick for even THINKING about it.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Shortbus
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus
It is his money isn't it?

Sounds like he's pretty sold on the idea of modding it out. I am not one to step in between two brother's here, but here goes.

I personally would not choose a geo, parts availability, cost of the parts, unrelibable underpowered suzuki engines. Don't forget lack of Mod's and consumer interest in these things.

On the other hand like I said the way you talk your brother seems bound and determined to do it. If he gets it done good for him.
If it bombs then you can say "well, I told you so"
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
Cyprus106
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Cyprus106
I still say beat him with a stick either way.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:16 PM   #5
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af
tell him that even if you mod it the best you possibly can ( which I assume isnt very much) his car and its 3 cylinders of badass fury(yeah right) still wont have very much peformance. I dont even think the engine is made to be modded is it? Id be afraid of it blowing up on me while on interstate.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:32 AM   #6
MaximusGTR
AF Fanatic

Give him one of these
Old 01-08-2003, 04:34 AM   #7
MaximusGTR
AF Fanatic

are you sure its not you??
Old 10-02-2004, 10:53 PM   #8
Staypuff
AF Newbie

Re: How do I convince my little brother not to waste money on his Geo?

well hey hope your bro reads this. put as much money as you want into it. there are way to many people with there civics and cavs our there thinking they cool becouse they nice guy(who was crying inside) at the auto shop but all his bolt on easy to find mods on theres cars. then they go off thinking they the coolest and they did everything. who care what other think of ya bro. mod your geo to the max. no everyday ya see a geo passing ya but when done right a geo can fly by any car on the street. with the power/weight ratio these things can have and some creativity with your style you can be way better then any other joe on the road
Staypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:12 PM   #9
geozukigti
AF Enthusiast

True. I spent about $2000 on my metro convertible, including the body. Not saying it'll smoke a camaro or anything, but it makes the honduh kids cry all the time. It's much more satisfying beating someone in a Geo than it is a Camaro, cause cause of the sleeper factor. And if your brother swaps a Suzuki Swift GT motor in it (1.3 DOHC) there's almost limitless amounts of mods available, and for less than half the price of honda and cavalier parts.
geozukigti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
wikkymaster
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wikkymaster

yea cuz they suck CAVALIERS are much better, yes there are a lot of bolt-ons for the civics and such, not many for cavalier so i dont know why you are ripping on them so much. anyways i have a cavalier and me and a friend did everything to it, no body shops did it so stfu and quit tryin to make your car sound better staypuff you noob
wikkymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #11
Otakon1983
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Otakon1983
dude, nobody is dissing the cavalier. i have had 3 cavaliers and they were all great cars, all they are saying is that if you do mods to a geo that you are going to be the only guy around with a geo that looks,sounds, and is as fast as a cavalier or honda. That's all he is saying.

i think that modding out a geo is an excellent idea. And like he said, i like the idea that not everybody will have a modded geo, hondas are all over the place.
Otakon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
cruznhonda
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to cruznhonda
Exclamation Investing/modding a GOOD ONE!!!

I'm a 52yr old car guy (my hobby since 16)..I have 5 sons and have played in the used car market for many years with most everything out there. No kidding. I also drive a 97 4 cyl Metro....part time & TEMPORARILY. Have had many of them. Many of us remember the old 70's something Chev Vega? Well the metros are only a step or so above that reliability. But admittedly they get GREAT gas mileage. Don't ever get into a significant accident in them because you'll be toast. I also drive a Honda Valkyrie (MC) without a helmet...so go figure my advice on safety. In ANY case...if your bro wants to keep this car and is going to spend hard earned money and time....here's the best investment of sorts available for this kind of project: Early 90's...1) Honda prelude, or Civic...or 2) Toyota MR2, paseo, or celica. Personally I opt for toyotas whenever possible...but Hondas are right up there and a great choice.
Being unique with a tricked out Geo might be fashionable for the moment....but I'll guarantee if he goes through with that idea...he'll lose lots of money. Toyota or Honda....that's where it's at dollar for dollar .... if he wants to keep it for a significant time, with minimal repairs.. and then wants top dollar when he's ready to sell.
cruznhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:36 PM   #13
wikkymaster
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wikkymaster

i agree, a geo is all he can afford right now and he thinks hes gonna make it cool, i told staypuff to save his money that he plans on putting into the 500 dollar junker and use it to buy a newer better car in a few years.

-Short Antenna, HIDs, black h/lights, 18's, pntd brakes, injen intake, eibach pro kit, cf hood
-Base Cobalt Coupe 5-speed Arrival Blue
wikkymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #14
Tominator2000
AF Regular

My first car was a $100 Ford Falcon. Doesn't everyone love their first car? I barely had enough mola to keep it running, but I rebuilt the brakes and with my dad's coaxing, rebuilt the motor myself.

It was a VERY easy car to work on. No tricks of the trade or special skills needed.

Now, after 36+ years of car ownership, and I have owened over 70 cars, trucks and motorcycles, I find myself driving and admiring a '92 Metro.

It has the simplicity of that long ago Falcon. It is EASY to work on! Something a Honda or ?? is far from being.

Encourage the youth and help him. No car is worth more than the current owner can assign it in his own realm. Dreams are what the car community is made of. Let him dream and help him!

BTW, I also own a custom car that has been in two magazines, but I bought the Metro because of it's 40+ MPG. It will get a variety of upgrades including a body kit. Neat little car IMHO and it and HE deserves to let the custom juices flow!
Tominator2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #15
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

Geos aren't worth anything but they do get good gas milelage and they can look good also.I fixed mine up abit(check it out on my link below).I would agree with getting something esle ,if you want to be able to get something out of it later.

Stickerchick.com,best decals on the net
Click here

My $12.00 Sunfire
movin2stereo is offline   Reply With Quote