Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
royals1969
AF Newbie

help removing steering wheel 2001 alero

my horn is malfunctioning in the 2001 alero...it seems the round metal board that the spring contacts is damaged. So i am trying to replace this part. Its a round plastic part with a thin metal on top of it. In order to get at this part, i need to remove the steering wheel from what i can tell...I already have disconnected the battery and removed the air bag. Now i removed the big nut on the steering column, but the steering wheel will not come off. what is the next step to remove the steering wheel...please help
royals1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
royals1969
AF Newbie

Re: help removing steering wheel 2001 alero

is there anyone out there who knows hpw to remove the steering wheel from this car? i am riding around without use of my horn. please help if you can...regards..royals
Old 04-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
BNaylor
AF Moderator

For GM cars including the Alero you will need a steering wheel puller tool to remove the steering wheel from the shaft.

Steering Wheel Puller J-1859-A
Steering Wheel Puller Legs J-36541

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
royals1969
AF Newbie

well i tried a standard steering wheel puller with nuts and bolts on saturday and the steering wheel did not budge at all...i stopped because the only thing that was happening was the center bolt on the column was getting damaged/smashed. The puller i used was not with those special legs. don't know if it matters much using those special legs...anyway i thought maybe there was some step i was missing. So you say after i remove the nut on the steering column, just use the puller and the steering wheel should come off? how much force is needed to remove the darn thing anyway? royals
Old 04-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
cooter2
AF Newbie

I had the same problem when trying to replace my dash. I ended up taking the car in after 3 weekends of hell. I literally cracked my steering wheel in half trying to get it off (got a new one off a junked car).

Some tips:
1. Put pressure on the wheel with the steering wheel puller then hit the wheel collar with a punch/hammer to "Shock" it.
2. Try harder with the puller.
3. Heat it up. (not highly recommended)

I talked to a olds dealership mechanic and he said that some of them get siezed on and he has seen them shatter when pulling them. Not like the old cars that are easy to work with.

Just be careful and if you go for this prepare to replace the steering wheel as it may just be siezed on and there is nothing easy you can do to get it off.
cooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
royals1969
AF Newbie

cooter2: thanks for the info...i will give it another attempt this weekend. i can't keep driving without a horn. I thought i was missing a step, but i guess not...Just need a lot of force to remove the steering wheel. like you say, there is a chance it will break, but lets hope not...as for using heat, well there are to many plastic parts in the area that prevent me from trying heat ....i'll just use some brute force with the puller , something has to give...lets hope the steering will comes off in one piece...thanks

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero