Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 05:58 PM   #106
boostm3
AF Newbie

Quote:
All I am saying is that I dont judge all German cars by the Porche 924 of the late 70's and you shouldnt judge Cobra's by the ones that sucked 8 years ago
Well, you have a point there. Ok, I will give the Cobras a new chance. Glad to hear theyve improved that awful cloth that they tried to pass off as 'leather', and that their handling is now good. If all this is true, plus its got a current 390 hp, rumored to be at least 15 hp more in reality, and, its aiming at a NA 400 hp in the near future, well, they very well may have THE peformance package to buy in the under $40K. Hell, it may be under $40K but it probably will be THE performance package to buy in the under $50K realm! Now thats saying something. OF course, if its true, then odds are neither you nor I will be able to get within 100 miles of one, and when we do, Dealer probably WILL be selling it for $50 grand! Not to be cynical or anything, but Im told its nigh impossible even now to get the current Cobra at anything near MSR.

Hey, do you think in a couple years, the two hot 'affordable' tickets will be the new SVT Cobra vs the new 350Z twin turbo? Each under $45K? and maybe, each under $40K?! Wont that be a hoot?!

Geez, if that time really comes, I may have to think about trying to fine someone to buy my 400 hp M3....Everybody says youve got to strip off all the goodies and revert it back to stock. But Id never do that. I know there are folks out there would LOVE to be able to buy a 400 hp M3 in perfect condition, w Dinan Koni adjustable suspension, never tracked, book serviced, with mileage under 60K, at a price just slightly above blue book for a stock version.

If the market really pits those two models against each other at that price, it'll be really hard to stay on the sidelines, wont it...hmmm. And, you can bet it'll be such a hot market segment, that they wont be the only two in it either. You mention a new Supra and turbocharged RX-8, and Skyline, in the near future. Ive got to stop...Im drueling all over my keyboard! :eshooter:
'99 White M3; < 45K miles; Dinan stage II SC kit with 6" RMS crank pulley: 11 psi; AA Water Injection; Fikse FM-10s; X-Brace; Dinan Koni Suspension; Stygar SS and Clutch Stop; egt and boost gauges; Sounds by Polk, Excelon, JLAudio
boostm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 03:35 PM   #107
Wotnot
AF Newbie

Having owned BMW's, Audi's Maserati's and now the Chrylser 300m, which I just sold to purchase a 350z, IMHO you can't make any kind of comparison to North American cars in terms of handling for this price point.

I drove the Trans Am..and the Camaro SS. Very fast in a straight line. That's where the comparison ends. Neither of these cars deliver the same type of performance..........and you won't get there with add ons either.

The 300zx was a great car.........Was being the operative term. Nissan doesn't make them anymore.........just like Toyota stopped making the Supra.........Chrylser stopped with the 426 hemi.......things change.....my prediction is that this 350Z will be a new level of driving for people who can't afford a Boxter or an M3. Find another car at this price with these features.......I have tried.........and it ain't out there
Wotnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 06:56 PM   #108
boostm3
AF Newbie

Quote:
Find another car at this price with these features.......I have tried.........and it ain't out there
But, for the mid $30s (track model), why couldnt I offer the SVT Cobra as the car found at this price with these features? In what category(s), backed by tests, does the cobra lose? certainly not acceleration; certainly not skidpad...etc..
'99 White M3; < 45K miles; Dinan stage II SC kit with 6" RMS crank pulley: 11 psi; AA Water Injection; Fikse FM-10s; X-Brace; Dinan Koni Suspension; Stygar SS and Clutch Stop; egt and boost gauges; Sounds by Polk, Excelon, JLAudio
Old 10-05-2002, 09:53 PM   #109
tomlong
AF Enthusiast

Well according to Car & Driver the Stock Cobra out accelerated the 350; however the 350 was faster in the slalom and the skidpad rating was very close. I am not sure which model of the 350 C&D tested, but I am assuming it was the enthusiast since the skidpad performance is the same as what sport compact car magazine found when they tested the enthusiast. The Z also gets much better gas milage and looks alot better. You are also comparing 2 cars that have 100 horsepower difference. Give me a Z with twin Garrett ball bearing turbos or at least enough power to match the 390 of the Cobra and I feel pretty confident the Z would out perform it in every category.

I no that your logical reply would be that that would increase the cost of the car by about $7,000 for the turbos, but this is why people work very hard to buy the things they really want. Being that you drive a supercharged M3(incredible machine) you should know exactly what I am talking about.
tomlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:59 AM   #110
N74DV
AF Newbie

just for point of reference.... I've dragged a Mustang Cobra and older 5.0 in my Z and came out on top.... not by much but even a cunt hair counts. I'd like to try it with another Cobra cause it seems like maybe the Cobra should've done a bit better.

With some performance mods the Z could do very well....

BUT, in reality the Z is not a drag car. it's a track car..... handling is great. I'll stick my neck out and say that in it's stock form it'd out handle a stock Mustang or any musclecar.

DJ V.
(suiting up the nomex flame suit now)
N74DV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:24 PM   #111
boostm3
AF Newbie

Quote:
BUT, in reality the Z is not a drag car. it's a track car..... handling is great. I'll stick my neck out and say that in it's stock form it'd out handle a stock Mustang or any musclecar.
If youre talking about one of the new '03 SVT cobras with 390 blown hp, youd stick it out and get it cut off! That car 'll do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, and registers over .90gs on the skidpad! It all depends on what you mean by 'outhandle'... If you mean win a race with straights and curves, the cobra would kill you. If you mean a flat out drag, of course the cobra would kill you. If youre talking about a tiny, wound up autox course, maybe...
Old 10-08-2002, 04:58 PM   #112
TqUiLL
AF Newbie

As ZV# so eloquently put it...
Quote:
Originally posted by ZV3
honestly, who cares what a guy in a cheap dime-a-dozen Mustang or Crapmaro thinks about you if he *might* win a 0-60 race? I used to own a 300ZX and now have an M3, and those Camaro guys constantly want to race and I just nod and go about my business. If I had one of the nice, new 350 Z's I would not waste my time on those type of cars.
By the way a guy here at work just bought one, and it's very nice, much better looking in person but has a smallish interior. Anyway, if I was a Trans Am/Mustang owner I would not come to this forum and brag about beating a new Z by a tenth of a second or so. A V-8 against a six cylinder, and all you can manage to do is *barely* beat it? Shameful.
Imagine if the Japanese decide to make a performance V-8? 8 against 8 I would put my money on the Japanese to win by a large margin. American cars are simply unreliable crap. Hell, the new BMW M3 has only 10 horsepower less than the Vette. The M5? More horsepower than the regular Vette. Anyway, I would not waste my time racing those
American F-Bodies/Mustangs because what kind of bragging right is that?
"Hey Joe, I beat a Trans Am today!" I REALLY dislike those cars, no refinement at all. A 0-60 race is only less than 1% of the time we spend in our cars, the rest is DRIVING so for me to put up with American bad reliability, rattles and shakes, all that exhaust racket, bad interiors and plastics, and the dime-a-dozen depreciation and satisfaction of owning a cheap vehicle that everybody and my Grandma owns, well it's not worth it just to say "I beat that Z car by a tenth of a second, but I can't corner worth a damn!" Those American Iron boys need to get a clue, it's not about 0-60. Hell, I bought my M3 so I could cut through mountain passes
with the precision of a surgeon, not for 0-60 races which are hard on vehicles. They can keep that. Heck, if your a good driver you can make up for that couple tenths of a second against those guys anyway!!!
exactly, you all are talking about gay american f-bodies like camaro and mustang. Every day I drive on the street I must see about a 100 of them. They are a dime a dozen, nothing more. The Z will become somewhat popular in the future, but nothing like those american cars.
TqUiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:17 PM   #113
boostm3
AF Newbie

Quote:
exactly, you all are talking about gay american f-bodies like camaro and mustang. Every day I drive on the street I must see about a 100 of them. They are a dime a dozen, nothing more. The Z will become somewhat popular in the future, but nothing like those american cars
When did an sVT Cobra become an 'F' body? Besides, you really should not equate this car to the others youre talking about. Ford really deserves some kudos for tuning out a 390 hp car with an admittedly beautifully advanced engine, now with roots blower, and its new IRS capable of over .90gs on the skidpad. This is NOT the same ol mustang, you know!

Look, I drive a supercharged '99 M3 the beauty of which I dont need to hype to anyone. And even still, this new SVT cobra has my head turned. I like the Z too, but the Only way Id ever consider it is if it becomes forced induced. 280 hp is nice and all, but after driving 400 around every day, well, I think you see the point.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:58 PM   #114
formerfordguy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by tomlong
Well according to Car & Driver the Stock Cobra out accelerated the 350;
And the 2003 Cobra is running 12.6's in the quarter mile, .90 on the skid pad. It'd take a 350Z no matter what the race.
formerfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 08:05 PM   #115
Wotnot
AF Newbie

how much is a new 390 hp cobra?

I mean.........everything I've read says this car is alot more money...and I stand behind my earlier remarks..........for the price, you'd be hard pressed to find another car out there that can match it.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:22 PM   #116
boostm3
AF Newbie

Quote:
I mean.........everything I've read says this car is alot more money...and I stand behind my earlier remarks..........for the price, you'd be hard pressed to find another car out there that can match it.
Well, its NOT alot more money...thats why Im making such a big deal about it. Fact is, its the same price as the track version of the 350Z!!!
Old 10-08-2002, 08:49 PM   #117
w0mbat
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to w0mbat
Several people have mentioned the skidpad rating in reference to handling. I wonder if that is really a valid metric at all. Doesn't a skidpad test simply measures the maximum possible lateral acceleration before the vehicle loses traction? That seems like a half-assed way of gauging a car's suspension and balance at best.

Also, some cornering methods like drifting presume losing traction.

:sun:
w0mbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 08:59 PM   #118
Wotnot
AF Newbie

it's all subjective after all

I just took another look at the SVT Cobra................I'm sure that 390 hp can rock.................been there........done that...........it still looks like just another Mustang to me.......and with the NISMO mods that will undoubtedly soon be here............my money is still on the 350Z
Old 10-09-2002, 12:23 AM   #119
importriders
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by boostm3

Well, its NOT alot more money...thats why Im making such a big deal about it. Fact is, its the same price as the track version of the 350Z!!!
Why compare it to the track, all the Z's have the same motor and suspension, the only difference performance wise between a base and the track Z is the wheels and brakes. So really price is an issue, base 350 is $26k and Cobra is $33k. Seems like a big difference to me.

Plus, didn't Ford build those SUV's a while back that had those death tires on them and they knew all along??? Thats why I will never buy a Ford no matter what even if they start making good cars.
importriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:09 PM   #120
chopstick
AF Newbie

well the only thing i disappointed is nissan claim that 350z will be the fastest Z but as many people have say it not any faster than the last 300zx turbo (which im driving). I didnt have a change to drive the new Z but for its 0-60 in 5.5s my 300z do the same. I love the new look but the lights on it rear, the 2 lights on the bumber. hehehe my english is bad i know. hehe and what's up with 287hp?????? my 300z is 300hp, stock that is. And btw, 350z vs Cobra for me i pick the 350z for the look
chopstick is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe