Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 12:15 AM   #31
airforceone
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to airforceone
Cool idea. I will have to brainstorm for my project. and buy another digicam. i'm thinking of a........
Old 10-24-2003, 01:03 AM   #32
Honoturtle
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Honoturtle
Re: Proposed model competition, please read if you build pre-1970 American cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
Also, if we're going to have prizes for such a contest, I'd think they'd need to be theme appropriate prizes. Like, the grand prize could be a Perry's Resin 1969 Penske SCCA Trans-Am Camaro transkit.

But, then again, like I said. Prizes aren't a necessity. They'd just be an added bonus.
That would be a very good prize! But expensive.
But like you said, it's not a necessity. I wouldn't mind the contest being just for fun.
As a prize, I can do the "Feature of the Month" thing on my webpage, you just have to make sure to contact me w/ the pictures, and info. in the end.

~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe Sprinter ~
"Oh what a feeling.- Toyota
Honoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 01:59 AM   #33
Purpura Delujo
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Proposed model competition, please read if you build pre-1970 American cars

Ok well help me out some more! Post up sub-catagories that you think should be put in place, stuff like that...
Purpura Delujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 02:44 AM   #34
Bloodhound
AF Enthusiast

how about these:
retrotech (like an LS1 in a 69 vette)
boyd style rods (bright colours/loads of billet)
rat style rods (cobbled together from pure crap)
corvette and mustang classes (fairly obvious, caters to stock and modified)
show cars (modified like crazy)
street modified (a nice street car with some sensible mods)
tough street (a nice street car with some batshit insane mods)

I'll post more if I can think of any viable classes.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:21 AM   #35
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven
Quote:
street modified (a nice street car with some sensible mods)
I especially like this idea!! My 427 Monte Carlo SS and phantom '68 Judge would fit in nicely!! Also my '65 Chevelle Nomad, '70 GTO Street Hunter, '55 Nomad. etc...
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:05 AM   #36
AF Regular

We need to narrow down the classes or you'll have classes with just one entry. The "Mild, Medium, Hot" categories that TR mentioned is a good idea. You can then break those down into years if there are enough entries, like "Mild - up to 1964", "Mild - 1965 through 1970", etc.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:58 PM   #37
Purpura Delujo
AF Enthusiast

Ok, here is a draft copy of catergories I set out before us.

Stock
Built from the box with no mods, or minimal detail modifications like wiring etc.
Street Car
Modified with different wheels, tires, engine parts, paint jobs, suspension modifications, wiring.
Opening detail
Any car, modified with opening panels, wiring, detail painting...So as much detail as you can get onto a model.
Traditional Hot Rod
Pre 50s car, customised with sensible, viable modifications with parts from 1950 and before, the relative era of the first hotrods.
Modern Hot Rod
Boyds style cars, new engines in old bodies(pre 50s), interior transplants, drvetrain transplants, modern style paint job, modern style wheels, airbag suspension.
Lead Sleds and Lowriders, traditional
Pre-1970 model lowriders and lead sleds, modified with whatever tickles your fancy, but keep it within limits, dont do anything too crazy.
Lead Sleds and Lowriders, modern
Anything after 1970 but done the same style as 'Modern Hot Rod', lowriders may have big wires, billet chrome wheels, air bags etc.
Traditional Racing car
Old style NASCARs and other racing type cars go here, pre 1975
Modern Race car
Corvette C5R, need I say more? Any modern race car goes.
Traditional musclecar
Musclecars from before 1975 modified with tasteful parts of the era, no billet wheels or fancy suspension here, just raw power.
Modern Musclecar
Any musclecar after 1975 goes in here, modified with whatever you like.
Best Catergories
This will consist of:
Best Paint
Best detail
Best Display
Best Engine
Best Modifications

This is just a lay-out, please feel free to add or take, comment or complain about any categorie you see here or dont see here. We need to set make limits now, good luck!
Purpura Delujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:53 PM   #38
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Re: Ok, here is a draft copy of catergories I set out before us.

My questions are...

<Stock>
Is it factory stock, or box stock?
In most contest rules, factory stock allows any enhancement like wiring and detailing, using aftermarket parts, as long as the model represents the car available at a dealer show room. Box Stock only allows aftermarket decals and BareMetal, in most cases.

<Traditional Racing Car>
Wasn't this supposed to be pre-70, or there was no NASCAR back then?

<Modern Race Car>
Again, was pre-70 idea dropped?

<Modern Muscle Car>
Define a muscle car.
I don't think anybody would argue, if I call the Boss 429 a muscle car, but what about 5.0 and 4.6? Are they, really?

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:23 AM   #39
Bloodhound
AF Enthusiast

The original muscle cars were a big engine in a small (for its time) car to create a real strip performer. few engineers were concerned with making the cars fast around a track that had bends in it, like shelby was. These days all cars are put under the same microscope as audis and BMWs so steering, handling, and comfort all became necessary to make sales. We however had a head start in the 'power' stakes.

The racing car thang; Nascar was there back in the 60's and 70's, but it was different. It was dominated by chargers and galaxies, rather than rebodied 69 camaros and mach 1's.

Factory; it doesn't have to be box stock, you can use other parts as long as it represents a factory car. If the car you're building came out with an optional styled wheel not included in your kit, however, feel free to kitbash it onto yours.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:31 AM   #40
AF Regular

Re: Re: Ok, here is a draft copy of catergories I set out before us.

Too many. What if someone wants a race car with opening details? You've already narrowed it down to pre-70 US cars, or so we thought until that list.

Keep it simple:
Stock = box stock non-racecar vehicles but with added details like wires, hoses, etc. if the builder wants to. Wheel swaps if they were available for that car.
Modified = stock body streetable cars with mods, i.e. big wheels, blowers, wild paint, drivetrain swaps (Olds engine in a '32 Ford, for example). Lowriders will normally fit into here since most of them use stock body shells. Most Pro Touring, Pro Street, dragstrip conversions go here too provided the wheelwells aren't modified.
Unlimited = anything goes like race cars, chopped tops, major body mods.

Allow zero exceptions. For example if someone builds a "Stock" convertible but decides to cut the windshield down for a more aero look, then it gets bumped up to "Unlimited". It's not like the rules weren't written before they started building.

008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:36 AM   #41
Bloodhound
AF Enthusiast

Simple; He enters his race car w/opening doors into both classes. However, if he wins best engine in one class, he can't win it in the other.

With your class system, we'd be putting simple nice cars with hugely modified cars which would earn much more points for their sheer attitude. It just wouldn't be fair for other lesser cars.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:39 AM   #42
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound
Simple; He enters his race car w/opening doors into both classes. However, if he wins best engine in one class, he can't win it in the other.
What if he wins in both? Who picks which one he wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound
With your class system, we'd be putting simple nice cars with hugely modified cars which would earn much more points for their sheer attitude. It just wouldn't be fair for other lesser cars.
Like what? Give an example. This is what the discussion is for, finding loopholes in the classifications. The "Hugely modified cars" would be in the "Modified" or "Unlimited" class, won't they? The "simple nice" car would be in the Stock class, no?

Like racing, you pick a class first and build the best car for it within the rules. You don't build a car first then try to find a class that'll accept you, only to be disappointed because your car isn't competitive. We are building new cars here, not re-hashing old models to fit the rules, aren't we?

Not to be pessimistic here, but we won't have hundreds of models. Judging by past contests we'll be lucky to have 30 entrants. That's one of the reasons I think we should limit the number of classes to the minimum. If all goes well, then plan on increasing the classes next time around.
008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 04:27 AM   #43
bigfrit
AF Enthusiast

Cannot agree more with 008...

Maybe we should like wait for the Model Of The Year competition, the grandaddy of all AF competitions, if it still will exist.

Then, after that, another competition is discussable.

And also, like the ITR comp, which many people were very interested in, generated only a small amount of interest, but yet some very high profile models, but not masses.

So not too many categories is the best thing

Olivier
bigfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 04:28 AM   #44
Bloodhound
AF Enthusiast

let's simplify this down a little more then:

-stock cars
-Mild modified cars w/nice paint and wheels. (all around upgrades)
-lowriders, rods:
*mild = (lowered w/wheels)
*wild = + paint and body mods.
-Dragsters:
*streetable vehicles.
*pro street.
*strip only weapons.

Previous awards for each section and subsection(Best Paint, Best detail, Best Display, Best Engine, Best Modifications)
Old 10-25-2003, 09:30 AM   #45
sweetwhiteCAV
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to sweetwhiteCAV Send a message via Yahoo to sweetwhiteCAV
what if the model we want to use is a concept car and wasnt actually put into production?
sweetwhiteCAV is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling