Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #31
pbarnrob
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Sienna rear hatch broken! Can't open!

After having the first bolt-fix break (above), now ToyotaPasadena.com wants to sell us a new Sienna (they _don't_ get it!) Toyota-parts.com in Dallas finally charged me $58.01 on-line, including shipping for new plastic, and with that in hand, and re-reading the machinist's tale, I went out in the garage and found a bracket about the right size for the handle part, bent it around a 20d nail for the handle part. Got out a leftover piece of mild steel from the junk box, hacksawed and filed the approximate shape for the 'hook', drilled and tapped it (thank God for cheap Chinese drill presses) and screwed it together. One more pass with the hacksaw to clear the bracket, and a couple slabs of old credit card plastic and glue to seal out weather (yeah, I know; SoCal - _what_ weather?) and in a couple hours of puttering, it's in. Should outlast the car! Keeping the plastic part for a pattern, or for an example to whomever...

Thanks again, gang! 73, Phil WA6DZS
pbarnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #32
blueoct71
AF Newbie

I want to thank everyone for their valuable input on fixing the rear hatch handle. This is the second time the rear hatch handle broke and I was determined not to pay the dealer to fix it, quote was $120 for labor, service rep said she would give us a break since this is the 4th handle to break on our 2000 Sienna (right sliding door twice - strong three year old). I bought the handle from the dealer and by using all of your post...I had the panels off, handle replaced, and the panels reinstalled in less than 35 minutes. 25 of the 35 minutes were for removing and replacing the panels. (I wanted to be careful not to break the plastic snaps.) Even with the "break" on labor that's a Toyota rate of $420/hour. A HUGE Thank you!
blueoct71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #33
nordev
AF Newbie

Thank you, thank you, thank you... worked like a charm. all done within 20 minutes and that includes finding this info online. Once the cover inside the hatch is off, if pulling the wire doesn't open the door, try lifting the silvery metal rod that unlocks the hatch first. Thanks.
nordev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #34
caple
AF Newbie

I am so glad I found your site as I have seen that this handle problem is apparently, a constant problem.
With your tips and advice I was able to complete the work and fix the broken handle myself and saved myself a few hundred dollars in labor from a Toyota dealership. Mine is a 2000 Sienna LE.
Thanks again, you guys are great!!
caple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #35
Sienna1998-2
AF Newbie

We have had exactly the same problem with our 1998 Sienna, I replaced the hatch assembly less about one year ago and it is broken AGAIN. We called Toyota and checked for any recalls or technical servcie bulletins because I found MANY others were having the same problem. Their response was that they did not have enough complaints to file a TSB. Apparently most people are repairing their own without reporting this to the factory; IT IS A FLAWED DESIGN and it will keep breaking on yours like it did on ours.

Here is their response:
Discussion Thread

09/26/2007 08:48 AM
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
Ms. ****, we apologize for your continuous concerns with the hatch handle for your 1998 Sienna.
Currently we do not show the condition mentioned as a common concern with the 1998 Sienna and there are no recalls or Special Service Campaign (SSC) on the hatch handles for the 1998 Sienna.
A case has been generated in reference to the concerns you've had with your vehicle. The feedback we receive from our customers is reviewed by various departments within Toyota, Engineering, Marketing, etc.
At this time we can not determine if a recall or SSC will be released regarding the concern mentioned.
We appreciate you taking the time to contact us with your feedback and suggestions and again we apologize for the situation and any expense you may have incurred.
Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #******. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.
Toyota Customer Experience
Customer Complaint
09/24/2007 04:42 PM
We have had to replaced the hatch handle on our Sienna twice and have found out that many other owners have the same problem. It breaks from normal use. It is a weak handle and should have been recalled. We shouldn't have to keep buying something for $80 + $500 Labor that will break easily. The new handle only lasted a year. How do we pursue further action with your company to have a better handle made?

Here is a link to the Toyota contact page - good luck to you all:
http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/t...p?p_faqid=4164
Sienna1998-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #36
yanstep
AF Newbie

If the plastic piece is broken off, you can open the hatch using a screw driver through the square hole where the latch leaver goes into the hatch. Basically, the handle consists of a lever which pushes down on another lever inside the door. Angle the screw driver up and over the inside lever (angle the screwdriver as vertical as possible to make sure that you are above the inside latch.) Then, push down the inside lever, which pulls a cable to release the door latch. You don't have to worry about damaging the finish with the screwdriver, because the square hole is part of the replaceable door handle.
yanstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #37
z969307
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Sienna rear hatch broken! Can't open!

Thanks for the Forum. I just bought a 2000 Sienna XLE with a broken power door and broken rear latch, i got the latch and yes it was $180 for labor to get it replaced. this forum helped me.

You have to remove the 2 bolts on the handle, the cover prys off, the cover for the pull handle SLIDES up, slide it up and it will come off, I tried prying it and BROKE It. there are 3 nuts you got to remove, 2 for the handle itself and one all the way to the far right, (left if you are facing it) for the key. once it is off, you have 2 more screws you got to get off with a philips screw driver, also there is a plastic holder, they should just have had a screw also, but it'll break when you try to take it off....any ways this form helped me i was able to do this in 1/2 hour.
z969307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #38
flavioishihara
AF Newbie

I would like to thanks to everyone who left a nice advice. But can you imagine how many has the same problem? We should complain or send a Letter to Toyota. They should know about this problem, and they may do not want to reimburse the owners, because it will cost a lot $. The way it is now, it is just very profitable for the Toyota dealears.
I’m mechanical engineer I have checked the problem in detail and it is design or manufacturer problem. Toyota is the responsible for this problem.
flavioishihara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 PM   #39
youngr69
AF Newbie

This solution fixed my 1999 Sienna. Things I wish I had known up front:

1. You'll need a 10mm socket and a 10mm wrench
2. When in the van facing the back hatch, the plastic cover on the strap slides up. The covers over the handle bolts (lower left hand corner) open from the top down.
3. Remove all three before attempting to remove the back cover
4. The window trim is in three pieces. You must remove the top center part first, then the sides.
5. Pry evenly on the top center piece. There are about 6 or 7 plastic tabs holding it in place. It will sound like gunshots and/or you broke it when it comes free.
6. The side trim has metal clips holding it in place, and is hard to remove. Pull hard and evenly.
7. Once the back trim is off, open the door as described elsewhere.
8. There are three 10 mm bolts in the middle center of the door, two on the handle, one to the left holding the license plate lights. All must come off, ideally with the door open.
9. There is a plastic tab to the right that holds the license plate lights. Try to push that through from the back, it breaks if you try to pry it from the front.
10. Be sure to unhook the cable (used to open the door) from the broken handle before trying to remove the handle
11. There are two small phillips screws holding the broken handle in place. Unscrew them (with everything else done) and the broken handle falls off.
12. Reverse the steps, it all goes back togethe pretty easily.
14. Line up the plastic tabs with the holes in the bottom of the door, peaking in with a flash light. Get two or three in, the door will be lined up, go around the open door pushing the tabs back into the holes.
15. In my opinion it was easier to put the side and top window trim back on with the door open.

As of July 17, 2008, the handle now costs $90 USD.

Thanks to everyone for their posts, it took me about 45 minutes to get the job done start to finish.
youngr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to youngr69 For This Useful Post:
Alex55 (06-02-2011)
Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #40
YEARWOOD
AF Newbie

Gents: Can't thank you enough for the info. I took the short cut, drilled a hole, and installed a screw.

Cost: $0
Time: under five minutes
Wife: held light and is now very happy!!
YEARWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #41
sbondale
AF Newbie

Thank you all for detailed instructions on this site to replace the handle. Just replaced it today, May 23rd 2009. The new handle cost about $90 and little over an hour to replace it.

I would like to add one thing to already great information. When I removed the door panel, some of the white plastic tabs were still stuck in the door. I am sure there are fancy tools to pull them out. But I didn't have one. I took a 7 mm socket and pushed the tabs from inside. They popped right out without breaking.

Thank you again for all the help.

sbondale
sbondale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #42
jandmjones
AF Newbie

Hello all, just had the rear handle break on our '02 Sienna. Fortunately, or unfortunately it broke as we were leaving Disney and were already packed and ready to go. After some searching I found that Parts Pro has a replacement for $30 or an improved, all metal one for $60. With what I save from staying away from the stealership I think I'll get the improved one. Thanks for all the advice and how to's.
jandmjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #43
familyvan8
AF Newbie

Thanks to this thread, I was able to have this broken handle replaced by my teenaged son. Bought the part from Parts Pro for @ $30, took my son @ 45 minutes! Saved us @ $300! Yeay!
familyvan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #44
jandmjones
AF Newbie

O.K. Just fixed the handle. This can be done with just a #10 deep well socket, rachet and a #2 phillips screwdriver. The two handles on the inside have #10 bolts. Take 'em out and remove the handles. I started from the bottom and popped out all the plastic panel holders. Some stayed in the metal door but are easy to remove. Next I familiarized myself with what was what inside the door, it's pretty minimal compared to some. At this point pull the cable and open the door because it will be much easier to work on while it is open. The handle itself will have two #10 nuts on it, remove those and the cable itself from the handle. Then on the left hand side (from the inside) there is another #10 nut but the threaded bolt is a little longer hence the deep well socket. Remove that nut which willl allow the license plate light bar to swing out and away. Gently pull it straight out from the vehicle. It's held on the other side by a plastic holder that just pushes in. Once the light bar is out flip it over and the handle is held in by two #2 phillip screws, once you remove those assembly is just the opposite of removal. When putting the handle/light bar assembly back in it takes some finess because the handle needs to be in just right but it will go. This whole process took me 30 minutes or less but I had everything right there and I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I believe anyone can do it. Oh, and by the way, I found the all metal, improved handle on e-bay for $45 shipped. I compared the two after removal and they are identical except for the handle which of course is all metal and hopefully much sturdier.
jandmjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #45
pdelrio
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 1999 Sienna rear hatch broken! Can't open!

Tried this fix last night. Worked like a charm. I got the handle out and drilled from the outside of the handle and was having trouble lining up the two broken parts for the drill hole. So I just drilled them separately. I figured since the screw was going to be doing the work it didn't matter much how perfectly the pieces matched up. I got the screw in carefully, and it's smooth like butter. I can't tell you how freakin' psyched I am that this fix cost me $0 an saved about $300. That kicks butt! Thanks all for posting! BTW- The wife is most impressed.
pdelrio is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna