Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #16
solrocket
AF Newbie

Re: intermittent ABS warning light 2000

I also have an ABS light problem with my 2000 Windstar. It has come on & off intermittently for the past couple of years. I haven't worried about it since my mechanic told me my brakes would still work (just not the ABS). The one strange thing is that the light stays off during the cold winter months. But once it starts warming up in the spring the ABS light problem appears again. Any one have an idea what could cause this strange behaviour.

solrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #17
frostie
AF Newbie

I am not positive, but I believe it is your ECU (the electronic control module). I have the same symptoms on my 99--the ABS light rarely comes on in the winter, but almost always comes on when it is hot out.

I bought a new module off of E-Bay, but have not had time to install it yet. it is a PITA job since the module is located underneath the van.
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #18
LeeD383
AF Newbie

This is happening to my 2000 Windstar also. The way it came on the other night was after turning a slow tight circle in a gas station. I did a sharp u-turn turn to the right around the gas pumps and then turned left sharply and then right again out of the gas station. The ABS light came on, and my dash display said "Check Traction Control." The next day after starting the vehicle, the light was off. My wife usually drives the car, and says she typically sees the light come on after turning in tight circles as I did that night. There would be a big difference in speed of the outer wheel during a tight turn, I wonder if that triggered it. I'll also be watching this thread to see if anyone figures out this problem.
LeeD383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:41 PM   #19
autostick
AF Newbie

Okay it seems everybody is watching this thread, but except for checking the continuity at all four corners, there does not seem to be a diagnosis for the intermittent ABS light. I asked the Ford dealer about it and they wanted to replace the ECU; but I think they were just guessing. My code reader does not give me any hints as the ABS light is intermittent, and seems to reset whenever the ignition is shut down.

Frostie, did you replace your ECU yet, and how big of a pain was that job??
autostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #20
frostie
AF Newbie

No, I have not done it yet. I had several other problems come up that I had to deal with first. This van has been the worst vehicle I have ever bought. My current plan is to sell it at the end of the summer.

As for the ECU, you would need to get the van up on ramps to have enough space to work. There are several bolts to remove, which in my case are heavily corroded due to Canadian winters. Someone else on this board described the job as a real knuckle-buster, and I think they are correct. It would be easiest to do this job with the van on a lift.
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #21
jgattian
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: intermittent ABS warning light 2000

I have a 2001 Windstar with both the ABS light and red Brake light coming on simultaneously. I keep the brake fluid full and have checked the switch on the master cylinder. I have cleaned all four wheel sensors and checked all for continuity.

I imagine it is the ABS ECU module. I will keep tabs on this thread. It seems that there are a lot of us out there with the same problem.
2001 Sienna
1998 Civic
jgattian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #22
Ed_Strong
Son of a Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgattian
I have a 2001 Windstar with both the ABS light and red Brake light coming on simultaneously. I keep the brake fluid full and have checked the switch on the master cylinder. I have cleaned all four wheel sensors and checked all for continuity.

I imagine it is the ABS ECU module. I will keep tabs on this thread. It seems that there are a lot of us out there with the same problem.
A word of warning jgattian, as it might be OK (not recommended) to drive around with the yellow ABS light on. But the red Brake Light means there is a serious problem with the brakes and it should be inspected/corrected immediately. It's very unsafe to drive with a brake warning light ON!
Unless you're like me and forget to release the e-brake when pulling off my parking space.
Ed_Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #23
phil-l
AF Enthusiast

Yes, I'm still watching this thread as well.

My ABS light comes on every once in awhile (approx. once every two weeks or so). Restarting the van clears the light right away, so I doubt I'd be able to get the code read unless I drove around with a reader hooked up to the van all the time.
phil-l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #24
cmorris638
AF Newbie

Hello All - I have a 2000 Windtar and the ABS light has been coming on about a year. Once the vehicle gets above 10 mph the light comes on. I have read that the issue is an extra ground wiring connected to the ABS module. It has two and one of them needs to be removed and capped of. Supposedly Ford has a kit which costs about $10 and includes a wire cap. The guys at the Ford Dealership I visit do not know anything about it.

My suggestion - everyone go visit their local Ford dealership and talk to someone in parts. There should be someone around the country that is familiar with this kit.

If and when you find it, come back and post the Ford Part #.

All Data's wiring diagram shows two grounds - #8 and #24. I might do a little testing. I will let you know if I find something.
cmorris638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #25
toddler62
AF Regular

I just sold my 99 Windstar 3.8 last month with 111000k The ABS light was on intermittenly for the last 2 years I owned it. I ignored it
toddler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #26
yitzg
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgattian

I have exactly the same problem on my 2001 Windstar. I did not clean the sensors yet, but the brake fluid is full and I have checked the switch on the master cylinder. I passed inspection in PA with the light on and my mechanic seems to think it's no big deal (even though the red brake light is also on).

I hope somebody has some leads to pursue.
yitzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #27
Narm
AF Newbie

Smile Re: intermittent ABS warning light 2000

Hi, I just had my left rear sensor replaced today and my repair shop thinks that the bad sensor was shorting things out. So far so good -- the ABS light did not come on nor did the trac action engage. But --- if the ABS light returns and I have problems with the Trac Action, I will have to go to the dealer to have them do the rest since only the dealer can reprogram things. Of course. But it looks like we won't have to go that route. They also replaced rear breaks and did a gravity break flush of the fluid -- the first time ever for the breaks and the car is almost 8 years old and has 79,400 miles on it! I guess that's good! I hope this helps!!!

Last edited by Narm; 06-08-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Addition of information
Narm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #28
phil-l
AF Enthusiast

I've been researching this topic further.

I found a TSB for my 2000 Windstar titled:

EXHIBITING INTERMITTENT ANTI-SKID BRAKE SYSTEM AND / OR RED BRAKE LAMP ON AT TIMES WHILE DRIVING

Bulletin Number: 15682
Sequence Number: 636312
Date: 20020301
Component Name: 036400 SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:ABS WARNING LIGHT
Make: FORD
Model: WINDSTAR
Year: 2000

It appears the "Bulletin Number" and the "Sequence Number" are unrelated to Ford's TSB numbering system (the number formats don't match). Also note that I've seen the "Sequence Number" referred to as the "NHTSA ID".

I checked the TSB list for my van on AllData.com: None of the titles of the TSBs listed there match up to the one I want to find.

I looked up the NHTSA number on their web site http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm - but still didn't find a way to get the actual text of the TSB.

So... If I've got the two numbers listed above, how can I found out the contents of the TSB? Has anyone already looked up this TSB?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #29
truckmsl
AF Newbie

OK gang, sign me up - I've got a 2000 windpig with the same problem. ABS light comes on and off. Let's keep this alive, it seems to be a widespread problem.
truckmsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #30
phil-l
AF Enthusiast

I believe the key to this is getting the contents of the TSB (see my comments 2 messages back). I've spent a fair amount of time in recent days trying to track it down.

It appears there a multiple numbering systems out there - and I have yet to find a real Ford TSB number for this issue (neither of the two numbers I listed are 'standard' Ford TSB numbers).

I've spent time on alldata.com and infotraxx.com (BTW, Infotraxx has simply excellent customer service - I was truly impressed) - but no mention of this particular TSB on either site.

Meanwhile, I've discovered numerous discussions about this problem on many different sites - and none of them seems to result in a conclusive solution (and the dealer always seems to recommend replacing the ABS control unit, for big $$$).

I've seen references to a grounding issue affecting this problem that can be fixed with a kit of some kind - but no specific TSB Ford part number or procedure steps.

There's got to be a real solution out there...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar