Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:15 PM   #16
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to goinbig
Re: lift?

Check out Superlift. I just put a 12" lift on a friends Jimmy about a year ago. They probably have a 4" lift if that is what you want. They also have 6", 7", 2.5", and all other sizes (can't remember them all right now though)...you should be able to find one that will work for you.

As far as it being too tippy, the new springs will be a little stiffer than the stock ones, so it won't be too bad around corners and everything.

You can also check out all the other major manufacturer's web-sites. I just did a quick search and found all kinds of lifts for Jimmy's.
goinbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #17
ScorTmobileR
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ScorTmobileR
thanks yea that was a big concern, being too tippy, thanks for that info tho. ill look into superlift. thanks alot
ScorTmobileR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:20 PM   #18
chcknugget
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to chcknugget

Here's a good llink I found:
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/GM_S10_4wd.htm

It looks like they have free shipping on the 6" superlift if you buy it soon. I personally like the 5" trailmaster.
chcknugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:25 PM   #19
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

oh wow. Those lifts get kind of spendy. $1700 for 6" is a lot. I would look around a lot to try and find some better prices.

If that much lift is what you're after, it would be cheaper to swap in a straight axle (probably a D44) in the front and then lift it from there. It would be a lot less than $1700.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:48 PM   #20
ScorTmobileR
AF Regular

thanks for that link. heres somthing else tho. once i get what i want. will i (who has pretty much no mechanical experience) be able to muttle my way thru installing this at home. or would i need to find someone with a lift? can it be done on stands safely?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:56 PM   #21
ScorTmobileR
AF Regular

hey goinbig, when you put that 12" lift on your friends jimmy, did it make it really tippy? does he use it off road or anything? cuz thats pretty much what im headin toward. i want to get higher up off the ground than i am. like i said im on 30's and its deff not enough and i doubt anything bigger will fit untill i lift.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:16 PM   #22
snowkat1052
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to snowkat1052 Send a message via AIM to snowkat1052 Send a message via MSN to snowkat1052 Send a message via Yahoo to snowkat1052
Re: Re: lift?

do you recommend a body lift also? alot of people have both, is there a reason for that? or is it just because they did the body lift first before they could afford a suspension lift?
...a body lift would make a vehicle even tippier, right?
snowkat1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:39 PM   #23
ScorTmobileR
AF Regular

i would think so but hey then again its me talkin
Old 11-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #24
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

With the body lift, it doesn't raise the center of gravity of the vehicle as much as an equal height suspension lift would. I would not go over 3" with a body lift. The only thing people say is bad with a body lift is the look of it. But under 3", nothing else should go wrong with it. If you go over 3", those mounting points will become weaker and can rip right through the floor of the vehicle because they will flex so much (flex between the body and frame, which is not wanted!!). It also is good to do if you want to tuck your suspension up nice and tight, along with other things, so they won't hang below the frame rails.

On all my 4wd vehicles, I have installed 3" body lifts. I love them.

ScorTmobileR, Yes, it was more tippy than it was stock. Going around corners, he likes to get it up on two wheels and scare people!! However, you get used to it real fast and then you never even think twice about it. As with any vehicle, there are limits and you simply take it easy and won't be in any danger of tipping or anything like that. He also had pretty wide tires (44x19.5x15) so it was really solid.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #25
ScorTmobileR
AF Regular

yea that helps alot, i talked to a guy today at a local shop and he said that for a 5"in sus lift that it would cost me i think he said round $2,000+ including install and labor. that kinda made me cringe but am i gona find anything better? i havent looked at all the shops around yet so i still have some investigating to do. and the guy also said that a body lift (1 or2 in) would cost around $700+ including install n crap. i want the suspension lift so i can get the bigger tires, should i save up for the sus lift or just o ahead and get the body lift cuz ill prob get it sooner or later.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:14 PM   #26
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Don't pay $700 for a body lift. You can buy all the parts for less than $100 and install it yourself really easy. Just invite a couple other guys over for some help, and it will be real easy.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:40 PM   #27
ScorTmobileR
AF Regular

cool thanks for saving me money! lol wich would you recomend getting first? sus or body?
Old 11-18-2004, 09:01 PM   #28
chcknugget
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to chcknugget

I've heard that body lifts don't look good on a s10/ blazer because the frame area is ugly, though I don't think I've ever seen just the body lift on a minitruck.
chcknugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:52 PM   #29
snowkat1052
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to snowkat1052 Send a message via AIM to snowkat1052 Send a message via MSN to snowkat1052 Send a message via Yahoo to snowkat1052
Re: Re: lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chcknugget
I've heard that body lifts don't look good on a s10/ blazer because the frame area is ugly, though I don't think I've ever seen just the body lift on a minitruck.
like goin big said up there farther, if you keep it under 3 inches, it's not too bad. I had an ex that put a 2 or 3 inch(i can't remember) on his s10, the frame was kinda ugly hangin out, but it didn't look too bad with 32,12.50,15s. I think if he'd have done much more than he did, it wouldn't have looked good. that's my 2 cents

" Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a
well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy sh.t what a ride!"
snowkat1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:32 PM   #30
ScorTmobileR
AF Regular

aight thanks for the info guys, i think i go with it anyways, if itll help me get bigger tires in there then might as well like GOINBIG said ill pay under $100 for the extra inches

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy