Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which is the best sports car?
Porsche Boxster 3 15.79%
BMW Z4 5 26.32%
Honda S2000 7 36.84%
'New' Mercedes-Benz SLK 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 10:31 PM   #16
supraman87
AF Newbie

Re: Re: SLK, Boxster, S2000, or Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
but then the combination of the long gearing and high rev nature of the engine means that it isn't easy to keep it in the v-tec 'zone'.
it is almost a 'flawed' machine.
but then again, 'flawed' doesn't mean it isn't any good.

besides, i see the s2000 4 cylinder as a tasty hint of what their V8 will be like (if we ever get to see it)
True, the vtec only kicks in at high revs, but still, the s2000 is quick, even before vtec takes effect. As far as honda v8's go, im not really sure what will become of that, the japanese car companies seem like they either want to stay away from v-8's or that they have trouble with it, because lets face it, there are not that many jap v-8's out there, even their high end sports cars like the NSX does not sport a v-8, but a v-6.

In my opinion, the japanese car market, and companies like honda, do not need to spend more money on dropping V-8's into their cars, i mean, if honda can squeeze 240 hp out of a N/A 2.0l 4 banger, what do you think they can do with a v-6 3.5 liter? There really isnt a need for a v-8 for japs, they focus more on efficiency rather than displacement or cylinders for that matter, they should stick to 4's and 6's.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:50 PM   #17
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: SLK, Boxster, S2000, or Z4

S2000's are only good if you cane them, they are unresponsive to modification and less practical than the other four and the chassis is too snappy.

The Z4 has better brakes than the S2000, better handling, much better interior and a superb engine (Biased )

The new SLK looks awesome, but I'm yet to drive one- but the fact that the recirculating ball steering is gone is very encouraging.

The Boxster is my pick though, it's the fastest of the four, has it's engine in the right place, has what is easily my favourite interior, offers superb trackability and is as practical as a roadster comes- it's VERY hard to fault the Boxster S.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 07-26-2004, 09:01 AM   #18
engineer
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to engineer

S2K in the real world.... cheap (compared to others), lightweight, good HP/Kg ratio, good handling, good looks, reliable, fun to start ur car with a red button, cool digital gauges, the best honda after the NSX. . .let downs: low end torque or lack therof.... soft top (less rigidity worse aero) but can be replaced with hardtop easily fixes aero and slightly stiffens car, 2 seater
Old 07-26-2004, 09:06 AM   #19
finally_retired
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: SLK, Boxster, S2000, or Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
The Boxster is my pick though, it's the fastest of the four, has it's engine in the right place, has what is easily my favourite interior, offers superb trackability and is as practical as a roadster comes- it's VERY hard to fault the Boxster S.
I'm affraid I can't agree with that. The SLK350 is actually faster both to 62mph, and to 100mph than the Boxster S, and the 55 AMG will blitz it.

Bare in mind that the Boxster (launched hear in late '96) has been around for 8 years now, relativley un-changed.

The S2000 is slower, but only marginally, and you must realise that we are comparing the fastest Boxster, the S, with a price tag of nealy £40k, to a £25k Honda.

I do appreciate that the Boxster handles like a dream, but the merc, much to my surprise, handles better.

I really want to see the new Boxster in action. The current one is geriatric in this company...
Old 07-26-2004, 06:19 PM   #20
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: Re: Re: SLK, Boxster, S2000, or Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by finally_retired
I'm affraid I can't agree with that. The SLK350 is actually faster both to 62mph, and to 100mph than the Boxster S, and the 55 AMG will blitz it.

Bare in mind that the Boxster (launched hear in late '96) has been around for 8 years now, relativley un-changed.

The S2000 is slower, but only marginally, and you must realise that we are comparing the fastest Boxster, the S, with a price tag of nealy £40k, to a £25k Honda.

I do appreciate that the Boxster handles like a dream, but the merc, much to my surprise, handles better.

I really want to see the new Boxster in action. The current one is geriatric in this company...
The magic of the Boxster is that it's so good all these years on I'm yet to drive the SLK, hence why I'm reserving all judgements of it

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 08-23-2004, 12:11 AM   #21
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino

Guys this is a month old thread please don't vote anymore or post in old threads. You can read the car comparo guidelines at the top of the page.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons