Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:26 PM   #16
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Re: Whats the difference between Tamiya Grey Primer & Modelmaster Grey Primer?

Don't get dissillusionrd ZoomZoom, I believe you, escecially after you elaborated and undoubtedly most reading this will as well. Zanthrax was obviously on the reveiving end of some bad advice - hobby shop staff are full of it.

I occasionaly use ModelMasters enamels, and metalizers out of the bottle. However, thanks to the insights of the good people on this forum, would not dream of using their spraycans!
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:34 PM   #17
ToyTundra
AF Enthusiast

I used model master sparys on my first model and it sucked. I figured it was my spraying skill. I was just about to give model master another try after using Tamiya for about nine months. I'm glad i read this.
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:34 PM   #18
chubbs36chambers
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to chubbs36chambers

dudes i just asked a simple question there is no need for any of this shit ok. ZOOMZOOMMX-5 I understand what you are going through by reading these awnsers people post up. I respect that you have a shit load of years working with models but you have to understand people have the right to put up there & no matter how dumb they might sound (no disrespect zanthrax) there is no reason for you to get all pist off like a little boy ok.

"Death gotta be easy cause life is hard it'll leave you physically mentaly scarred." - 50 Cent

Mines Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34)
chubbs36chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:36 PM   #19
krebs128
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to krebs128

i know you can't use testors primer and then tamiya lacquer on top of it b/c it'll crack (i know from past experiences). but can you use tamiya primer w/ testors paint over that?
krebs128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:39 PM   #20
zanthrax
AF Regular

RallyRaider is right, as it seems I was on the recieving and of some wrong advice of hobby shop staff. He normally has good tips on building but when it comes to products he tells weird stories just to sell you something.

He tried to sell me multiple 2euro small jars of enamel thinner to clean a body of paint in a bath.
I cleaned it with 1 0.90euro bottle of nailpolish.
He tried to sell me 5 empty paints cans and a siringe (sp?) for mixing paint. for 9 euro's!! 5 empty cans while filled ones cost 1,40 each! I just got some jars and some siringes for free from a local pharmacy!
And the Modelmaster/Tamiya story is just the same...
"It's the same product but Modelmaster is cheaper."

But it's the only modelshop in town! :angry:

Another day, another lesson.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #21
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Sorry, but I get really punchy when disinformation is floating around as fact. I've been caught myself in similar situations that I'm not aware of all the facts. Someone else's "wisdom" ends up making you feel like a chump. I apologize if I came across as rude. I was getting the impression that people weren't paying attention to the other responses.

Like many others here, I try to dispel the fiction from the real facts...and there is a lot of BS out there and many times on this board, and I try to keep others from learning the hard way what is BS and what really does work. If you want an honest opinion on what will be the best for your models, it's better found by enthusiasts on a board like this rather than from a label or a salesman who is more interested in getting your $$.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:53 PM   #22
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric
Re: Re: Whats the difference between Tamiya Grey Primer & Modelmaster Grey Primer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krebs128
i know you can't use testors primer and then tamiya lacquer on top of it b/c it'll crack (i know from past experiences). but can you use tamiya primer w/ testors paint over that?
if you let it cure 1 week,yes you can, but i don't recommand it. you never know what will come from a testor spraycan.
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:56 PM   #23
zanthrax
AF Regular

It's OK ZoomZoomMX-5... I release I'm a n00b here.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:56 PM   #24
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5
Sorry, but I get really punchy when disinformation is floating around as fact. I've been caught myself in similar situations that I'm not aware of all the facts. Someone else's "wisdom" ends up making you feel like a chump. I apologize if I came across as rude. I was getting the impression that people weren't paying attention to the other responses.

Like many others here, I try to dispel the fiction from the real facts...and there is a lot of BS out there and many times on this board, and I try to keep others from learning the hard way what is BS and what really does work. If you want an honest opinion on what will be the best for your models, it's better found by enthusiasts on a board like this rather than from a label or a salesman who is more interested in getting your $$.
ZoomZoomMX-5, any real modeller that was here for more than a year know how to trust here. I'm here for near 2 year now, you'r one of them..
Old 02-10-2004, 06:57 PM   #25
chubbs36chambers
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to chubbs36chambers

Today i went to a LHS 50 miles away from where i live in PORTLAND OREGON (DOES ANYONE HERE LIVE THERE) and i got myself 4 bottles of Primer 2 white and 2 grey cause my LHS in my little ass town doesnt have it and the prices are fucking too high. for Example I was going to get the ferrari enzo yellow version and he wanted $55 and i was like what the fuck. I can get that cheaper online!

"Death gotta be easy cause life is hard it'll leave you physically mentaly scarred." - 50 Cent

Mines Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34)
chubbs36chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:59 PM   #26
Vric
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Whats the difference between Tamiya Grey Primer & Modelmaster Grey Primer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs36chambers
Today i went to a LHS 50 miles away from where i live in PORTLAND OREGON (DOES ANYONE HERE LIVE THERE) and i got myself 4 bottles of Primer 2 white and 2 grey cause my LHS in my little ass town doesnt have it and the prices are fucking too high. for Example I was going to get the ferrari enzo yellow version and he wanted $55 and i was like what the fuck. I can get that cheaper online!
my LHS have some.. but not often

I usually get them from HLJ, and I try to think ahead for me order (ordereing before I run out... hey.. I think about that, I will need some soon.. off to hlj )
Old 02-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #27
clem24
AF Regular

HLJ??? Isn't that a little overboard?? Is Tam primer really that hard to find? I can find it here no probs, I actually even shop around when one place charges $1 more! Haha. How much is primer down in the US? Here in Calgary, large cans can be had for around $11US.

Also, has anyone tried that Floquil stuff? It's enamel primer, approx. same size as big Tam, and usually see it at my LHS...

clem..
clem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:50 AM   #28
Vric
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem24
HLJ??? Isn't that a little overboard?? Is Tam primer really that hard to find? I can find it here no probs, I actually even shop around when one place charges $1 more! Haha. How much is primer down in the US? Here in Calgary, large cans can be had for around $11US.

Also, has anyone tried that Floquil stuff? It's enamel primer, approx. same size as big Tam, and usually see it at my LHS...

clem..

There is 1 Hobbyshop in the town and often don't have any.. so why I buy them from HLJ.. it come at the same price..
Old 02-13-2004, 03:59 PM   #29
scaleracecars
AF Enthusiast

Thats funny. I sell them 24/7 for about $7.00 here in the USA. Yes that is the large can of White Tamiya primer.
As for the comments about bad advice I agree with Zoom Zoom and a few others. If you do not have personal knowledge than don't offer advice. About half the answers I see here are just wrong.
David
http://www.scaleracecars.com
scaleracecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:59 PM   #30
ProSStreet
AF Enthusiast

go to walmart and pick up krylon sandable white primer. you'd be glad you did
ProSStreet is offline   Reply With Quote