Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:06 PM   #16
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 99 Blazer tries to

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmzyg
After first starting it in the morning (air temp is in the 50's-60's) and driving less than 1 mile, the vehicle starts to "chug" and jerk violently as it is driving. It lasts about 15 seconds, then the vehicle runs normally. It seems like it wants to stall, but it doesn't. This only happens within the first 5 minutes/1 mile of driving, and seems to happen most frequently when accelerating from a stop or a very low speed. In addition, this morning the vehicle would not start. It went "rrr,rrr,rrr,rrr", but it wouldn't catch. This is what happened a couple of days ago...I had it towed to the shop, and they replaced the fuel module. The mechanic said it would not start that day because there were "only three gallons of gas in the tank" (which ought to be enough to start and drive the vehicle, one would think). At the moment, there is a full tank of gas and it's sitting in the driveway and will not start!
Sounds to me you should be checking into your coil. Have you checked for spark when it wouldn't fire?

Is the fuel pump priming? Can you hear it when you turn the key to on just before start?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #17
bmzyg
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Blazer tries to

Well, since the mechanics actually CAME TO MY HOUSE and replaced the ignition coil which was shooting out sparks when the key was turned, the vehicle has not acted up. However, for the past three weeks, it has been good one day and bad the next, so I refuse to trust it until it works with no problems for at least a week!

Thanks to everyone who responded with helpful advice!
bmzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:13 PM   #18
bmzyg
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 99 Blazer tries to

Is the fuel pump priming? Can you hear it when you turn the key to on just before start?[/quote]

I would imagine it is, having been replaced a couple of days ago for $500!!! It damn well BETTER be! But just out of curiosity, what exactly does it sound like (just in case, God forbid, the new ignition coil has not solved the problem)?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:49 PM   #19
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: 99 Blazer tries to "die" while driving slowly

This sounds like a coil and a MAF sensor problem.

The coil is fixed, now the MAF.

Also, ever done a tuneup?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:30 AM   #20
bmzyg
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 99 Blazer tries to

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
This sounds like a coil and a MAF sensor problem.

The coil is fixed, now the MAF.

Also, ever done a tuneup?

If by tuneup, you mean replace the spark plug and wires, the filters, flushing out the system (whatever that means), change the rotor and cap, etc., yeah they just did all that. So far so good with the new coil. I still think the MAF sensor should be cleaned, but I hesitate to have my husband do it. He's failry competent with cars, but I am afraid he will damge one of the wires and we'll have to get a new one. And I am NOT taking this back to any mechanics in the next couple of weeks unless it dies. I'm going stir-crazy with nothing to drive!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:20 AM   #21
xjcamaro89
AF Regular

Dont be scared to let him clean it, he just has to be very careful, if he just takes his time and goes over it gently he will be fine, and if you do have to replace it (because of broken wires) dont take it to the mechanic, just go to a parts store and buy one, because if you got the old one out to clean it, your half way there in the process of putting a new one in. So might as well try it, if it works and you dont break it, you know what to do next time, if you do break it, you will know what not to do next time, and youll know how to replace one (god forbid you would have to replace one again), Good Luck!
xjcamaro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #22
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: 99 Blazer tries to "die" while driving slowly

Just tell him to use brake cleaner and a extra fine toothbrush on the wires.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer