Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #16
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

Re: How do I convince my little brother not to waste money on his Geo?

lol Geo's...you want gas mileage buy a hybrid...I agree on the Toyota thing, but i'm also in school to be a Toyota Technician.

The beating with a stick sounds about right, a few hits and few "wtf is wrong with you"'s ought to do the trick. No one will ever give any respect to a Geo, whether its a 10 second Geo or a normal Geo (what do they run 25 second 1/4? hehe).

But what would work even better is find a really hot girl, can be a friend of yours or whatever, then bring her to your house and have her say her opinion of his Geo. And after she's done laughing at him, his spirits will be shot and he will either stop wanting to put money into a POS or he will turn gay.
Twizted_3KGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #17
Tominator2000
AF Regular

..you want gas mileage buy a hybrid..

LOL! I really feel for those that buy them, After the warranty runs out they will be the most expensive cars to fix ever made! Parts will be very hard to get and very expensive.

And that's the point of the lowly Metro. Parts are dirt cheap. They are exceptionally easy to work on AND you get the milage of a hybrid.

No one expects a Metro to be fast, but unless you pour 10 grand in it's competition you are still stuck with a slow car.

Now, I'm not saying buy everything under the sun for it, but wheels and tires, body kit and a cam, exhaust and timing sproket will run you less than a 1000 bucks. Paint, if he does the body work and various personal touches to the interior and he'll have a neat and inexpensive car that will teach him the skills needed when he does get something serious and expensive.
Tominator2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #18
rruddfan21
AF Enthusiast

i have decided to put my money into my 91 metro. i am currently having the heads redone so i decided what the hell......i say if it has a motor in it, regardless of size, it can be worked on to become something better. i'm going to put in new exhaust, air system, modify the computer a bit, (replace IAT), clean the intake, give it a new paint job, etc..... these cars are easy to work on, they are light, and could really be something neat.
rruddfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #19
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

Well i'll never understand I guess, seems like a waste of money to me. The way I see it is if you have the car just for the cheapness of the cost of ownership, why would you put anything into it? I can understand just to get experience, that makes sense to me, but to try to make it better...in my opinion there's no way a Geo can be made better, it'll still be a Geo. Unless of course you make it a kit car or something, but then it wouldn't really be a Geo anymore. But that's just my opinion, dont get mad at me lol.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #20
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: How do I convince my little brother not to waste money on his Geo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted_3KGT
Well i'll never understand I guess, seems like a waste of money to me. The way I see it is if you have the car just for the cheapness of the cost of ownership, why would you put anything into it? I can understand just to get experience, that makes sense to me, but to try to make it better...in my opinion there's no way a Geo can be made better, it'll still be a Geo. Unless of course you make it a kit car or something, but then it wouldn't really be a Geo anymore. But that's just my opinion, dont get mad at me lol.
Can't that be said about any car?

Stickerchick.com,best decals on the net
Click here

My $12.00 Sunfire
movin2stereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:51 AM   #21
cruznhonda
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to cruznhonda

The metros were introduced as a gas saver (up to 50mpg for the 1.0 3cyl)....that's their claim to fame and true purpose. Probably the best gas mileage out there except for the newer hybrid gas/electric cars. However the "suzuki" drivetrain really doesn't have the reputation for reliability and long term mileage...say over 150k (in fact the stock engines often only last 100-130k). Now if you want to invest money in mods and improve on a worthwhile long term mileage GEO...take on the Geo Prizm...Toyota drivetrain with 250k+ miles common (w/manual trans). The old discontinued Geo Storm....still an average life (Isuzu) yet better than suzuki in my OPINION... has a sharper sport body. But the Prizm is where its at for reliability without paying for the Toyota name.
cruznhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:13 AM   #22
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: How do I convince my little brother not to waste money on his Geo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2stereo
Can't that be said about any car?
No.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:24 AM   #23
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I convince my little brother not to waste money on his Geo?

Quote:
No.
I work on cars everyday and I'll tell you,they are all junk.Made to throw away.

Click here

My $12.00 Sunfire
Old 01-10-2005, 11:09 AM   #24
cruznhonda
AF Newbie

You mean ALL cars except trucks like you've displayed...or are you talking only Geos? Because I'll tell you....I'd put a Toyota Corolla (Prizm) drivetrain up against any american made for long term mileage....before trans or engine needs repairing. We all have our experiences....frankly my favorite all time for up front cost and long term repairs is Toyota. I've had a Tundra, Lexus, Camry, 4 Runner etc....and they go a LONG ways before requiring rebuild on the mechanics. I drive a Honda Valkyrie 6cyl 1520cc monster (MC)....and it is VERY low maintenance. And it screams. If Toyota made an MC I'd probably buy it. But then, that's just from a 51yo guy whose had 5 sons, mercedes to Metros and everything in between. I've even had a 12cyl Jag and what a nightmare.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:27 AM   #25
cruznhonda
AF Newbie

I also see you have an S10. 4.3? A GREAT MOTOR!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #26
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

I work on cars everyday too, and I agree with cruznhonda on Toyota. But I don't think all cars are made to be thrown away, I think they're made to make money off of. Buy a pos, make it better, sell it for profit. Or buy a good sports car, mod it, and sell for profit or make profit from shows, races, etc..
Old 01-10-2005, 07:38 PM   #27
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

I'm talking about everything on the road today(execpt high end).Cars are more toward to being pitched than trucks though.I mean all cars today are made so cheap.I can't believe that some can actually hold a engine in them.As for mile to mile,I would agree that imports are where it is at,regardless if its a car or truck.I have had less problems with my little Geo than my truck.As for my 4.3,I have heard they were a good engine untill mine poped its cookies.It now has a new one.You ride a Valkyrie,that's just as big as a Geo Metro and the bike has a bigger engine! Those things are huge.

Click here

My $12.00 Sunfire
Old 01-10-2005, 07:43 PM   #28
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

Yeah I can agree with ya there...epecially the Suzuki's and Kia's...those things might as well be made completely of paper, it would probably hold together better and last longer.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #29
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I work on cars everyday too, and I agree with cruznhonda on Toyota. But I don't think all cars are made to be thrown away, I think they're made to make money off of. Buy a pos, make it better, sell it for profit. Or buy a good sports car, mod it, and sell for profit or make profit from shows, races, etc..
I'm talking about everyday runners.I don't care if you take a pos car and rice it all out,that car is still only going to be worth what the book says regardless.Sorry but that is how it is.Unless you find somebody that is really interested in what you have and happens to have money which is unlikely.Still you probally won't get what you have into it.

Click here

My $12.00 Sunfire
Old 01-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #30
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah I can agree with ya there...epecially the Suzuki's and Kia's...those things might as well be made completely of paper, it would probably hold together better and last longer.
I put a new rad support on a Pontiac Vibe(Toyota Matrix)and when you would pull on the support the fenders would suck in toward the engine.Cheap shit,scary actually.

Click here

My $12.00 Sunfire