Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 03:10 AM   #16
corning_d3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to corning_d3
Re: 1997 Lumina Fuel Pump

That must suck...If you had a 96, it'd only cost about $60.......
corning_d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #17
skcacc
AF Newbie

Ok guys (and gals) Got it switched out, but still no go. What are the ways I can test the pump? Is there a way to test it before I put it in the tank? We have checked the relay and the fuse. Also have pulled the lines on each side of the fuel filter to see if fuel is being pumped, but no go. The pump clicks, but we do not hear it humming or anything. Also, when putting a thumb on the line, we do not feel any pressure coming thru the line.

Any input here would be appreciated! Its been over a month since she has been down, and I need to get the kids out of the house!!!
skcacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #18
Hearts88
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon1
Alldata says you have to drop the tank.
Yup, no doubt about it, you must drop the tank.
The pump and sending unit is one piece, hence why it is so expensive.

No if you have dual exhaust, you may have to lower your mufflers and pipe where they "Y" together. If memory serves there is a heat sheild on the passenger side near the rear doors. This has to come off to get to the bolt for the Gas tank straps.

Unbolt the straps. 4 bolts.
Lower the tank. I believe in this car that the fuel lines are a flexible plastic and ar just clips to unplug them. If I remember they are on the back drivers side of the gas tank.

You have to remove the Filler hose! Should just be clamped on. 1/4 inch socket I think should do that.

You have to remove the "O" ring to get the pump out. Actually a quite nice design for removal and install.
Once you remove the "O" ring you should be able to remove the gasket and pull out the pump and assembly.

Installation is reverse with the EXCEPTION of the unit assembly is a spring mechanism. When you put the new unit and pump in you will have to push down on it to get it to go low enough to get the gasket and the "O" ring back on.

If you are doing this on the ground... Give yourself some time. There are some tight squeezes under there. I think the biggest pain in the butt on mine was lowering the dual exhaust and the stupid heat shield.

Anyway... hope this helps.

Hearts88
Hearts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #19
corning_d3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to corning_d3

I wouldn't suggest testing a new pump outside of the tank. It's designed to be constantly in fuel. Don't drop it in a bucket of gas, either, unless you want to burn up a perfectly good container, and maybe the yard. They're meant to run in a space with no air, and can ignite fuel if too much oxygen is around..
Old 01-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #20
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Have you checked for 12v at the wiring harness for the pump? Also, if you bought your pump assembly at Advance or Auto-Zone (they sell Master branded pumps) there is a good chance you got a bad one. I used to work for Advance and we had a lot of problems with our fuel pumps. Get a Delco and save yourself the headache. The part number is MU226, and we sell it for $281.28 + s/h.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 AM   #21
luminax
AF Newbie

There is cheap (parts) fuelpump lumina 1996, 30 dollars, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6256

Lumina 1997 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6256

And how to replace, if no access door in the trunk, http://www.ehow.com/how_6584733_repl...vy-lumina.html
luminax is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina