Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
Crackedsienna
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 sienna cracked dashboard

We have the same issue and are now on our second crack repair for our garage-kept Sienna. The first crack occurred just after the warranty expired and we were given contact info. for a repair man by our dealer, Earl Stewart Toyota in North Palm Beach, FL. Wonder where the other South Florida posters purchased their cars? Really think it was a bad lot. Just spoke to a repair man today who told me cracks were common in Siennas and Four Runners. So much so that he no longer guarantees repairs on them. Has anyone had the issue resolved by their dealer or by Toyota?
Crackedsienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
divinagracia1648
AF Newbie

This is really weird. I have thesame specific problem with our sienna 2004. It started with a line that my husband and myself thought that someone sliced it with a razor. I just called toyota service 800-331-4331 and said that they cant help because its past the warranty and there's no recall for this. I can see now that this is a widespread problem and maybe we can all complain and make this a recall, but i do not know the procedure. Anybody there got some help?
divinagracia1648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #18
gotgrace58
AF Newbie

I live in Cooper City FL and the dashboard in my '04 Sienna also has a crack along the front curve over the instrument panel. I noticed it sometime in end of 2009. Does anyone know if a class action law suit is in the works against Toyota? This sounds like a manufacturer issue and they should pay to replace the dashboards.
gotgrace58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #19
divinagracia1648
AF Newbie

I do not know of any civil lawsuit in regards to this, but if we all call the no. above maybe they will start to take notice and i do not know how to start a formal complaint for a recal or lawsuit.
divinagracia1648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #20
ewfl
AF Newbie

I have a 2005 Sienna. I live in South Florida. This week we noticed a crack in our dash. Has anyone found a good way to repair other than replacing?
ewfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #21
mainnor
AF Newbie

I have a 2006 Sienna CE and it's cracking in 3 places:

1.) Above Steering wheel
2.) Left side by the ac vent
3.) Right side by the ac vent

Anyhone has had luck with factory?

I live in South Florida.
mainnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #22
twilight1080
AF Newbie

The dashboard on my Sienna started to crack at the beginning of this year. It started with a small crack that has now extended from one end of the dashboard to the other...in multiple places. I have never had this happen to any of my cars. It has to be a manufacturer's defect if it is happening to so many Siennas.
twilight1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #23
FASandLIZ@aol.com
AF Newbie

I too am frustrated with Toyota's refusal to repair this obvious defect regarding cracked dashboards. My husband, who is an attorney in Boca Raton, is contacting a class action attorney who specializes in suing automobile manufacturers. If you are interested in joining me in starting this class action (at no cost) please contact me at Lizeschwartz@gmail.com.
FASandLIZ@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #24
FASandLIZ@aol.com
AF Newbie

Hi everyone,

Sorry that I don't have good news. My husband spoke to three different class action attorney's and none of them are interested in our type of case. They deal mostly with personal injury type matters. They did say that we would have to show individual proof of our damages, which we all could do I'm sure. Even though my husband is an attorney (complex civil and white collar criminal litigation) he does not do class action lawsuits (unfortunately). I don't know where we go from here. Any suggestions? I will post this on the automotive forum to see if anyone else has had any luck with their dealership. This is so frustrating! I guess there is always small claims court.

Live, laugh, love,
~ Liz Schwartz~
FASandLIZ@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #25
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

100f outside and using your windshield as a magnify glass can raise temp inside your truck up to 165f.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #26
turris
AF Newbie

Thank you FASandLIZ@aol.com
Can anybody forward all this messages to Toyota?
Thanks again.
turris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #27
JaguarFlashes55
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: 2004 sienna cracked dashboard

I have the same problem with my 2004 Sienna. It started with a one inch crack above the passenger side airbag area. It now has extended over the last six months all the way to the right edge and angling down to the bottom left. It's probably around 20 inches long now. Because it runs through the airbag deployment area, I am concerned that it will cause the airbag to not operate properly if there were an accident. I'm calling Toyota to see what they say. I can't imagine they want another safety issue like this given what happened last year with the braking issues.
JaguarFlashes55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #28
Celsdogg
AF Regular

hello all,

Dashboard cracking is a common occurrence in cars of all makes typically caused by sun and heat, even if garage kept. sometimes you can delay or prevent cracking using conditioning/maintenance products. i am not saying there isn't a defect because i dont know for sure, but its common enough that companies like Coverlay (http://www.coverlaymfg.com/) exist.

the interesting part to me is that most of you have 2004 models. Does this year not come with the HSEA glass (which I could believe would delay/prevent any cracking)?

As for the airbag, I find it hard to believe that it would effect its performance. the force from the airbag should be able to burst thru easily and the system itself wouldn't be affected by a surface crack in the dash.

just my $0.02. Cheers!
2008 Toyota Sienna LE

Retired:
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL
1991 BMW E30 325i
2001 Honda Odyssey EX

Last edited by Celsdogg; 10-21-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Celsdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #29
sianna05
AF Newbie

2005 Toyota Sienna Dash Cracks

I have an early 2005 Sienna with pretty much the same problem. My car is stored in a garage every year from May to November along with another car and an RV both of which have no problems. Before the Sienna I stored my '97 4-Runner the same way. No problems. I think it was a bad resin or other ingredient used to manufacture this batch of dash. Clearly this is a manufacturers defect.
I met another 2005 owner last week with this problem. She thought her car was the only one. It would be interesting to see how close our VIN numbers are.
sianna05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #30
krichar
AF Newbie

I too, have a 2004 Sienna fully loaded except Navigation(garage kept and garage kept at work). We also previously owned a Toyota Tundra which was kept outside and this never was a problem. I noticed some cracks in dash about 6 months ago and now it is completely across the entire dash. I don't see how anyone would think it is not a safety issue. Just because the airbag might operate correctly doesn't mean that I have serious concerns that the force of the airbag depolyment would cause pieces of the dash to become projectiles at the passenger. I can't understand why a class action lawyer would not take this on. This is clearly a safety issue. I am completely dissatisfied with Toyota's lack of customer service and clearly will never buy another Toyota again.
krichar is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna