Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which one?
2005 Pontiac GTO 9 37.50%
2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 15 62.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 03:48 PM   #16
syr74
AF Regular

Re: 2005 Pontiac GTO vs. 2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra

Well, I am biased towards the Ford and readily admit it. But, peak hp/tq numbers do not mean much as the torque curve tells a story of it's own. Not to mention, you have to take into account any under-rating done by the factory. Too many variables exist to simply say..."GTO makes 50 more hp, it must be just as fast".

The Cobra's torque production all over the power band is just sick, even bone stock. Peak power numbers are overly simplistic and do not account for this. 03/04 Cobra's can and do run mid 12's (think 12.6) bone stock......high 12's are all day every day for those who can drive. Cobnra's were also under-rated by Ford to the tune of about 30-35hp and tq. That's a big difference.

The 04 GTO was good for what, mid 13's with a really good driver bone stock on a good day. (think 13.5-13.6) And, hearing about GTO's running those kind of times is much rarer than hearing of Cobra's getting near mid 12's too. 50hp is going to make up nearly a second assuming two good drivers? No.

The 400hp LS2 may be rated nearly the same as the C5 Z06's 405hp LS6 mill was, but again this is not the whole story. When strapped to a dyno the LS6 virtually always showed that it was about 15-20hp under-rated. The LS2 is pretty much right on the money from dyno runs I've seen thus far. So in reality the LS2 is about 20-25hp down on the LS6.

Even with the "actual" hp disadvantage the C6 Vette got a bit lighter, so they run really close to Z06 times even though they tend to be a tenth or two off on average. And, even with the stronger LS6 the old Z06 only ran slightly faster than a well-driven Cobra (think 12.3-12.4). The magic number for the new 400hp C6 Vette seems to be right at 12.5-12.6, or right where the 03/04 Cobra tends to run stock. That alone tells you that the C6 is barely faster or no faster than an 03/04 Cobra, and numbers seen so far show this to be accurate.

I went through that lengthy explanation to make a point. The new C6 Vette with the 400hp mill seems to be good for about 03/04 Cobra 1/4 mile times asuming two very good drivers. (It is easier to get those kid of times from a Vette however) Wether or not you think each 100lbs tends to count for about a tenth through the 1/4mile (generally it does) the GTO weighs an enormous amount more than the C6 and that weight, along with smaller tires, poorer balance, and inferior gearing/tranny this car will be at least a half-second slower than the C6 Vette, and probably more than that.

As the above points to it seems to me that the new C6 Vette answers this argument. There is no evidence at all, and a lot to the contrary, to make pone believe the GTO will run with an 03/04 Cobra. Again, the C6 with the same mill as the 05 GTO, better balance, and a lighter chassis setup it is maybe a tick faster than the 03/04 Cobra, but most likely appears to be a dead heat right now. Somehow you shove the same motor into a heavier car with smaller tires and taller gears and it should run with a Cobra too? Physics say no. There is no way that a stock 05 GTO will run as fast as a stock 03/04 Cobra assuming two good drivers. The numbers just are not there.

Last edited by syr74; 12-15-2004 at 09:38 PM.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:06 PM   #17
M3FordBoy
AF Regular

^ I agree with you. As usuall you set it strait again Keep the good post coming.
M3FordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:27 PM   #18
AFI 05
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to AFI 05

GTO all the way... I find it whack to have to slap on a supercharger to have a car compete and have all this fame. Its like cheating but eh.. just my opinion
AFI 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 08:16 AM   #19
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Re: Re: 2005 Pontiac GTO vs. 2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFI 05
GTO all the way... I find it whack to have to slap on a supercharger to have a car compete and have all this fame. Its like cheating but eh.. just my opinion
Well then I find it whack that chevy has to keep up-ing the cubic inches to compete.

Not really cause I like my opinions mired in facts.

GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #20
emokid15
AF Enthusiast

i picked the Cobra not just be cuase im a ford guy but i would also drive the GTO but i find the Cobra 2 be better 2 drive. Its also easier to get more hp with the cobra right???
Old 12-17-2004, 07:25 PM   #21
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Quote:
i picked the Cobra not just be cuase im a ford guy but i would also drive the GTO but i find the Cobra 2 be better 2 drive. Its also easier to get more hp with the cobra right???
I've heard that 600 HP on stock internals is no problem, and you can get it with just a pulley swap and a couple really minor things. Never seen it done though.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:54 PM   #22
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

I'd probably have a GTO if I was going to invest in a practical car. As well as being better built and more comfortable, Holdens are remarkably easy cars to skittle around town in.

Though I'd probably sooner have a Cobra as a weekend driver.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons