Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #16
markbair
AF Regular

Re: Airaid Throttle Body Spacer

ScarabEpic22:
What is your mpg now after you put the spacer on. After reading this thread, I am really thinking about getting one, especially since you said is really isn't that annoying. (The whistle) My current mpg is about 15 in town, and maybe 18-19 on the highway.
markbair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #17
ScarabEpic22
AF Regular

My TB is mainly my trip car, so as of right now I cant give you accurate city mileage. My highway mileage (w/a minimal amount of city driving) is hovering between 19-21mpg. It sometimes gets up to 24mpg, but this is rare. I havent seen it drop below 19 for a while, even before I installed the spacer. (My TB is sitting in the driveway, I havent even run a full tank of gas through it snce I installed it.)

I know this isnt the exact answer you wanted, but I can provide some more feedback after I get back from my trip in 3 weeks.

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4X4 -Summit White w/Oak interior
Many Mods, latest: EFILive tuned by (me)
ScarabEpic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:53 PM   #18
dach95
AF Enthusiast

I'll be install the throttle spacer tomorrow. Hope to be able to post pics and comments later.

Excellent source of info http://www.trailvoy.com
dach95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #19
dach95
AF Enthusiast

Finally got Airaid TBS installed. Made a trip to my sis about an hour away to test it today. I have better acceleration and approx. 2mpg gain. Sorry, I don't have pics yet as I had plan. I had to rush. Installation was not as easy as I had thought. Had trouble gain access to the bottom screws on the throttle body. Only way was to remove the spark plug coils. Was nervous at first, prayed nothing breaks. Happy to say, everything was ok. Unit installed successfully after hour and half of hair pulling. Wish the instructions was more explicit.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:42 AM   #20
njyahoo
AF Newbie

[quote=ScarabEpic22]OK, here are some performance updates:

I'm getting about 1.5-2mpg better than before.

The whining sound is very, very minimal on my 02. I can't hear it unless I really stomp the accelerator almost to the floor and get above 3000RPMs.
The I6 is soooo quiet, I think that if AIRAID made a throttle body spacer for my 99 RX300, there would be no sound, as it runs louder (not rough, there are no problems w/it) than my TB.

I have the 02 Bravada with the L6 and I have been entertaining the idea of purchasing the Airaid induction system. Let me know what kind of improvements you get from this thing. I live in SLC and am now towing a 3800 LB trailer so I need all the OMPH I can get.

RB
russ.brown@us.army.mil
njyahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #21
dach95
AF Enthusiast

Wink Re: Airaid Throttle Body Spacer

***UPDATE***
There is definitely a little more OMPHhh. Acceleration is a much quicker and I notice a wider range in my RPMs. Now if only the shift is more solid... With the red, my throttle looks prettier as well.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #22
ScarabEpic22
AF Regular

I am actually contemplating the idea of the Airaid intake kit as well for my TB. If you are talking about the intake, then it will give you a little more ommph than just the spacer will. My truck has the stock intake with a K&N filter and the throttle body spacer, and I have definately noticed a difference in power. Once I get to 2800RPMs, the whistle starts to be a little noticeable, but the RPMs fly up, and the truck moves pretty well for being around 4600lbs.

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4X4 -Summit White w/Oak interior
Many Mods, latest: EFILive tuned by (me)
ScarabEpic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:50 AM   #23
dach95
AF Enthusiast

just got back from a 500+ mile trip. I decided to try 91~93 octane premium gas and wow... felt more power, much better acceleration in conjuction with the newly installed TBS. It's definitely a good combination to try.

I've tried higher octane before installing the TBS and felt minimal difference. But with TBS installed, I guess the air and fuel mix better and produce better combustion.

I don't have hard science or dyno to back this, but anyone who does please confirm...

Last edited by dach95; 07-25-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:00 AM   #24
Mr. Northface
AF Enthusiast

Well......so far so good with the mileage. From a return trip from Wisconsin I managed to get 21.1 MPG doing 65-70 MPH & with a bunch of rain which I am sure didn't help & the air was on.
If I was doing 55-60 MPH, I was getting 22-23 MPG out of the V8!

That silly throttle body spacer still drives me crazy with the whining......(I'll still take THAT whining over my wife & kids anyday!!! LOL)
But as I said before, it seems to be getting me better mileage which I always love. Heck...even some people asked me if I had a turbo under the hood because of the whining. I just laugh & say...yeah...sure I do ;-D

Another thing that I did was to take the top part of my air box off & leave the TrueFlow air intake exposed now instead of leaving it inside the stock airbox like I have been doing. It sounds only a little bit louder now & I don't think that it is hurting anything.

More trips planned in the near future...will try to better my MPG & see what's what.
Performance:
TrueFlow Air Intake
Granatelli Mass Flow Air Sensor
FlowMaster 70 Series SUV Muffler
Predator Power Programmer
Airaid Throttle Body Spacer
Misc.:
Super White headlights 80W & 100W
Fog Lamp bulbs
Billet Grill
XM
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Box
Valentine 1 Radar
Line Of Fire 49" L.E.D Brake Light
Mr. Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #25
dach95
AF Enthusiast

Perhaps it louder on the V8 but with the I6, I could bearly notice the sound. I too am loving the performance enhanced a bit and the "gas savings"...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT