Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #16
gmack221
AF Regular

Re: Possible clogged Cat Converter

coolant temp will drop when it cools, it expands when it heats up ...
Sounds like you may have an intake problem going on ... coolant is going somewhere ... unless it heats up enough to overflow the overflow bottle.

When my catalitic converter went bad pieces of the cat broke free and ended up in my resinator pipe (looks like a cat behind the cat, but its just a hallow tube), they clogged up my exhaust. I could tell this by running it at night, then look under the car to see if anything is red, after 5 mins of running it was glowing red.
gmack221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
JASONBUTLER77
AF Newbie

I have a 96 trans am that i just bought..lady told me i just had plugged cats...i bought the car took it to have cats put on and they said its not a catalatic converter prob..i disagree kinda cause the car starts right up but shakes and shakes while takin off but holds a speed perfect and will go 100 if i wanted it to.it just feels like a BAD miss..the check enigne light flashes ....can anyone please help with advice?
JASONBUTLER77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
JASONBUTLER77
AF Newbie

also..i drove about 50 miles and the cats werent even glowing so would that eliminate it from being a catalatic converter problem?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Should start your own thread, in Firebird or Camaro section....

Sounds like a misfire.....when the CE flashes, it means you have a bad misfire that could damage the cat......first thing to do is have the codes read.....and if you continue to drive the vehicle this way, you will damage the cat(s).....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
JASONBUTLER77
AF Newbie

iam doing the plugs and wires now..ill tell ya, its not fun!...hoping this will fix the prob..the muffler shop said if it does over 30 its not a cat prob..?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #21
JASONBUTLER77
AF Newbie

ok...just changed all plugs and plug wires..2 wires were messed up and jumpin a spark so iam glad I did the wires..car started good and idled good and it was smooth for a min, than it got a little ruffer..it is about 75% better now but there is still a problem..walked to the back and exhaust made my eyes burn...and to me it seems a lil restricted still..I am torn cause the muffler shop said it isnt a cat..any ideas?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Did you read the codes?

You changed the plugs and wires......hopefully you used OEM plugs and checked gap....Did you check coil output and replace the wire between coil and distributor?

Unfortunately, you have the Opti-Spark, or ABITS system.......

If there is a problem in the distributor, You have to remove the water pump to access it....

That's why when 100K rolled around, a TA tuneup consisted of plugs, wires(which as you found, are a pain to replace and cost is high due to labor time), air and fuel filters, PCV, cap and rotor, and a new W/P.....so you can see how a tuneup was expensive for this car.....

The reason for the new W/P is, you have to remove it to remove the distributor cap......now you can take a chance and put the old w/p back on, but the weep hole is directly above the distributor cap, and if it leaks on the cap for an extended time, you will have distributor problems again, and possibly have to replace the entire unit.....

It's possible you have a mechanical problem(check compression? This should have been done when the plugs were out).....could also be an injector problem.....and you could have a distributor problem....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM