Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #271
jwendt2003
AF Newbie

Re: Codes 171 & 174 TSB # 03-16-1 update

Update: I have everything put back together; Intake Manifold gasket, green bolts, valve cover kit w/ hoses, reconnected/rigged IMRC linkage which had fallen off. Replaced 1 fuel injector, spark plugs. As it turns out, I didn't need the upgrade valve cover for a 2002, but I used it anyways because I needed the hoses that came with the kit.

Anyways, when I started it, it started around 2000 rpms, then dropped to around 1500, then it dropped again to a normal idle for a short time. I pulled each injector plug in front (4,5,6) and the engine dropped slightly each time, so it looks like they are all firing now. (5 was the bad one I replaced). After driving it though, it stayed on a 'fast' idle (1500?). I had to keep my foot ready to brake. It also runs rough; jerking at times with some noise. Any ideas? I need to drive it more tomorrow to get a better description of what it's doing. For now, I can't see where I missed any hoses or connectors.
jwendt2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #272
jwendt2003
AF Newbie

Problem solved; a hose came off the back left side of the air intake plenum probably when I was positioning it around. For the first day, the idle speed jumped every once in a while which made you keep your foot on the brake, but today it's fine. Maybe some cleaner residue was blowing through the air intake.
jwendt2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #273
goggomobil
AF Newbie

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, particularly pcitizen for the outstanding step-by-step how-to webpage.
goggomobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #274
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to pcitizen

Well, you're very welcome.

PCitizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggomobil View Post
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, particularly pcitizen for the outstanding step-by-step how-to webpage.
pcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #275
RobbW
AF Newbie

pcitizen, I wanted to thank you as well. After putting it off for years, today I finally replaced the bolts and gaskets on my 2000 Windstar using your webpage as a terrific guide. I also cleaned out the 3 totally, and 2 partially, blocked EGR ports that were causing engine stuttering around 1,500 RPM (the reason I finally decided to dig in - never saw an actual reason to do the bolts/gaskets - even a Ford mechanic I talked to said don't bother).

I have 2 followup questions though. I noticed the TSB said to do a PCM reprogram, but didn't see hardly any discussion about it on the forum - I think you had 1 post. Any thoughts?

Also, when searching for PCM posts, I came across one mentioning a rattling upper plenum baffle and using RTV to silence it "as seen often on this thread". But a search for RTV and baffle turned up only the 1 post. My wife (her vehicle, thank God) has been hearing an engine rattle recently, and today I did too after reassembly, and it DOES sound like it's coming from the plenum. So looks like I'll be taking it off again! Have you heard much about this - type of sealant, where, etc.?
Thanks!
RobbW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #276
pcitizen
AF Newbie

I have no information on reprogramming the PCM. I didn't do it when I applied the mechanical parts of the TSB. I have had no further issues.

With regards to the rattling baffle plate. I suspect a good, high quality, high temperature silcone; e.g., Permatex Ultra Black RTV, would suffice but you must ensure that all oil is removed from the mating surfaces before you apply it. Otherwise it will eventually come loose and get down into the intake's vavles and eventually cause problems down stream from there.

If you do use RTV ensure you allow it time to set up completely.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #277
farns
AF Newbie

Well gang, after 3 days of studying this thread, to read everybody's experiences and tweaks, I'm ready to dive in.

I have already pulled much of the engine area apart, following the awesome walkthrough provided. I'm about ready to take off the plenum and get into the good stuff.

I am not mechanically inclined, but this thread and the walkthrough have given me the courage to try. It all makes pretty decent sense.

My windstar is a 2002, has 130k, or maybe 150k, I can't remember off the top of my head. We've had it for 3 years, and I don't know what's original and what's been replaced before we bought it. I am going to replace cabin and air filters while I'm in there, and I'm thinking about doing all the spark plugs and wires since I'm in there too.

It appears I don't need the new valve cover, since it's a 2002 and I don't see the 5 o clock hole mentioned... So I just want to clean that and put it back, right?

What else should I attend to while I'm in there too, just in the spirit of preventative maintenance? I think i may replace some rubber hoses, but I need to look closely and see what needs to be replaced.

Can these isolator bolts and gaskets be found at autozone, or do I need to get them from a dealer? I see several of you bought kits, but I don't have time for shipping. I have exactly tomorrow (labor day) to work on this. so I'm just trying to figure out the least screwed way to get the parts

Thanks to everybody for their input, I'll be back soon with a report!!!

farns
farns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #278
farns
AF Newbie

Well I farted around with it some more tonight, trying to be all ready to roll in the morning when the dealership opens and I can get my new bolts. I got it all broken down to the plenum removed and cleaning up all the goop holes. Mine were substantially worse than the photo on PC's walkthru: http://leckemby.net/windstar/14a.jpg

So I have a new question... the walkthru says to ignore the butterfly valves, but they are caked with residue. What is behind there, the actual pistons of the engine or something? I mean, is it possible to hose some carb cleaner down in there and clean that out, or will that just send it where it would do more damage?

What exactly is this part of the engine? Is it where combustion occurs? I'm in way over my head knowledge-wise, but at the moment I'm not worried that I won't be able to get it back together again. So far. LOL.

I need to go buy some mineral spirits and get the parts all cleaned up, but so far so good, I think!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #279
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farns View Post
Well gang, after 3 days of studying this thread, to read everybody's experiences and tweaks, I'm ready to dive in.

I have already pulled much of the engine area apart, following the awesome walkthrough provided. I'm about ready to take off the plenum and get into the good stuff.

I am not mechanically inclined, but this thread and the walkthrough have given me the courage to try. It all makes pretty decent sense.

My windstar is a 2002, has 130k, or maybe 150k, I can't remember off the top of my head. We've had it for 3 years, and I don't know what's original and what's been replaced before we bought it. I am going to replace cabin and air filters while I'm in there, and I'm thinking about doing all the spark plugs and wires since I'm in there too.

It appears I don't need the new valve cover, since it's a 2002 and I don't see the 5 o clock hole mentioned... So I just want to clean that and put it back, right?

What else should I attend to while I'm in there too, just in the spirit of preventative maintenance? I think i may replace some rubber hoses, but I need to look closely and see what needs to be replaced.

Can these isolator bolts and gaskets be found at autozone, or do I need to get them from a dealer? I see several of you bought kits, but I don't have time for shipping. I have exactly tomorrow (labor day) to work on this. so I'm just trying to figure out the least screwed way to get the parts

Thanks to everybody for their input, I'll be back soon with a report!!!

farns
>> Yes... clean the valve cover and replace the gasket if it is damaged.
>> Check the hoses as you suggest. I wouldn't replace them unless they are deteriorated/dry rotted/soft/or missing.
>> I don't know about AutoZone and the isolator bolts. If the parts store is on the way to Ford - stop and check.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #280
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Quote:
Well I farted around with it some more tonight, trying to be all ready to roll in the morning when the dealership opens and I can get my new bolts. I got it all broken down to the plenum removed and cleaning up all the goop holes. Mine were substantially worse than the photo on PC's walkthru: http://leckemby.net/windstar/14a.jpg

So I have a new question... the walkthru says to ignore the butterfly valves, but they are caked with residue. What is behind there, the actual pistons of the engine or something? I mean, is it possible to hose some carb cleaner down in there and clean that out, or will that just send it where it would do more damage?

What exactly is this part of the engine? Is it where combustion occurs? I'm in way over my head knowledge-wise, but at the moment I'm not worried that I won't be able to get it back together again. So far. LOL.

I need to go buy some mineral spirits and get the parts all cleaned up, but so far so good, I think!
>> Behind the valves are in the intake valves. If you chose to clean them don't use anything that can fall in there. Perhaps use cotton swabs with acetone on them. I would not spray carb cleaner down there!
>> Behind the valves are in the intake valves an on the other side of the intake valves are the pistons.

I am happy to see that you found the site helpful and it is good that you jumped in to fix this yourself.

Jeff L.
PCitizen
Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #281
farns
AF Newbie

Oh snap.

Everything's been going great so far... (except for those isolator bolts costing me about $11 each at the dealer!)

I'm just finishing up the plugs and wires and then I'm gonna start putting her back together.

I totally pooched the back 3 wires, I lost track of which was which. My haynes book doesn't give me a diagram to make sure I get the right wire to the right plug. I'm gonna search the forum real fast, but wanted to post here in case one of you guys knew the answer right off. 2002 windstar, 3.8L v6
Old 09-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #282
farns
AF Newbie

ok, found this:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you..._Ford_Windstar

Anybody agree or disagree?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #283
farns
AF Newbie

Well crap.

If that guy's explanation is right, then my van's been wired wrong for years. I'm not sure about this now. I'm officially worried for the first time in this project!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #284
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Quote:
Well crap.

If that guy's explanation is right, then my van's been wired wrong for years. I'm not sure about this now. I'm officially worried for the first time in this project!
>> A little confused here. Did you take the wires out of the looms? If you didn't they will only reach so far. I my Windstar the looms run the wires to within a couple inches of each plug. None will reach the adjacent plugs. My engine is a 3.8 too.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #285
farns
AF Newbie

I got it all figured out. Autozone has a pretty detailed schematic and wiring diagram, which made the front 3 plugs/wires that I didn't foul up make sense. So I feel pretty good about where I'm at right now.

Just came in to check the torque settings for the isolator bolts, about ready to crank those bitties down!

Hopefully I can have the stamina to finish this tonight! I'm dying. I sit at a keyboard all day long, my back is NOT loving me right now LOL

be back shortly for a report!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar