Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #181
big_vinnyk
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101

Any help out there? I can't let the wife drive the kids in a van with no turn signals and no heat, especially when the temp is 15 degrees out. I'm stuck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Vin
big_vinnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #182
DanielaErler
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101

Hi Everyone!

I just joined the club of 96-Dodge-Caravan-with-messed-up-heating-system owners about a week ago.

I just replaced the blower motor relay. I also wanted to replace the resistor block, but I noticed that the actual problem was with the resistor connecor which was completely fried. I called Napa, but they told me the connector per se needs to be ordered from the dealer himself - I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but I am sure there is one right here - they would only sell me that thing if they were to install the wires themselves, which makes about couple hundred bucks total, which I find ridiculous.

Hence, my question is: where on Earth can I order a resistor connector including the 5 wires... is there a place online? Anything?

Thanks a million for your help!

Cheers,
Daniela
DanielaErler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #183
GrandcaravanMan
AF Newbie

Hello all,

I have been reading this very informative post and my brain is just frying like an egg. My 2005 GC 3.3 has just lost heat, but, here is the difference.

When I turn my heater on and set the two slides for driver/passenger all the way to full heat, I don't get heat. Now, my fan switch works in all positions, low thru high, and not just in high.The back fan works also.

Although my fan works in all speeds it only blows hot air when I rev the engine up over 3K RPMs. I suspect that that is just engine heat but never the less it's heat.

So, I have everything working as far as the fan blowing in all positions, now does that mean my relays are fine or would the fan/blower still blow if the relay was bad? Does the relay turn the actual HEATING unit on also?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding redundant but it just seems that in my case everything is blowing and working fine but just not blowing hot air.

Could any of this be due to a bad T-Stat?

Thanks,
Jeff
GrandcaravanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #184
jpb53
AF Enthusiast

Try this site to order parts http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214996 resistor part# 4677180ad wiring pigtail part # 5003316aa
jpb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #185
DanielaErler
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 1

Thanks for the link!

On Jeff's note: I know this might sound too obvious, but this is just the right time of the year for this to happen: have you checked the level of antifreeze? I just had exactly that problem myself and it turned out I have a leaking antifreeze hose... Sorry I can't give you more input, I am really anything but an expert when it comes to cars...

Good luck!
Daniela
DanielaErler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #186
BIGJAY1274
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101

Thanks a lot Headless and everyone that contributed to this thread.
I have an '02 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L, my blower would only work on high and when I tried to turn it off it only blew harder!
I followed what was said here and replaced the resistor block (Part #4885482AA, $79 from the dealer). I wonder what the dealer would have charged me to do this job
I just replaced it today so hopefully that did the job for the longterm.

P.S. I would have posted a pic of the part but I don't see where I can do that.
BIGJAY1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #187
BIGJAY1274
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburn70
I thought my problem was the same. My front blower does not work at all on my 2005 Grand Caravan. I replaced the blower motor and the relay, but it didn't help. I took the resister block out, and it looks brand new. not a bit of corrosion to be seen on either the block or connector. I also checked the fuse several times, and replaced it with another one. The back blower works fine.

I also have a rotten egg smell coming from the front of the car, and I noticed it was really bad under the dash while replacing the blower motor.

Any ideas? I suppose I could replace the resister block anyway, but it seems like it should look at least a little worn.
Don't go by how it looks, I thought the same thing. Mine didn't look worn either but I replaced it anyway and the blower works fine now.
BIGJAY1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #188
getochkn
AF Newbie

98 Caravan Sport SE, 3.3L. So about 6 months ago my heater/ac would only work on high. From reading that's usually the resistor block. Then last week I got no blowing at all. I had to bring it in to get the front end looked at and had them look at the heating. They said the blower motor is completly seized and thats why it wasn't working on lower levels, took a full 12v to get it going at all. Now that its not working, It seems that the circulation button/ac button will turn on even if the unit is completly off. Some other reading said that was a relay. I checked the fuse, fine, swapped the relay with another one (one for the horn I think, they looked the same) horn works, both buttons still work, switched the relays back, horn still works, fans don't, both buttons do. Could a dead motor cause all these problems? What else should I be looking at replacing. I trust the place I brought it to and they said they tested the motor and its seized right up, so I have a new motor to put in along with my tierods. Just wondering if that could cause all the problems or should I just be ready to replace the resistor block and relay as well. I'm having a friend do all the work for me, and we're going to a rent-a-bay place so I don't want to be wasting time having to run out and get stuff when we're paying for the bay by the hour. Where are abouts are the wires for blower motor. I could try and get at them and hook up the new motor I got just to test and see if it works before the weekend when we goto the garage so I can see if its the motor and if the new motor works. Pictures would help. I'm good with electronic electrical so I'm not worried about that, just never done much car work, so I don't know where anything is.
getochkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #189
andye43
AF Newbie

For the '98 Sport, you find the power plug for the blower motor behind the glove box which is easy to remove or just flip down after you disengage the plastic support "cables" on either side. Sounds like you bought your motor already. I found local prices from $175 to $300+ and bought a new aftermarket on eBay for $60 delivered that works like the original.
andye43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #190
HeadlessHorseman1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by getochkn
98 Caravan Sport SE, 3.3L. So about 6 months ago my heater/ac would only work on high. From reading that's usually the resistor block. Then last week I got no blowing at all. I had to bring it in to get the front end looked at and had them look at the heating. They said the blower motor is completly seized and thats why it wasn't working on lower levels, took a full 12v to get it going at all. Now that its not working, It seems that the circulation button/ac button will turn on even if the unit is completly off. Some other reading said that was a relay. I checked the fuse, fine, swapped the relay with another one (one for the horn I think, they looked the same) horn works, both buttons still work, switched the relays back, horn still works, fans don't, both buttons do. Could a dead motor cause all these problems? What else should I be looking at replacing. I trust the place I brought it to and they said they tested the motor and its seized right up, so I have a new motor to put in along with my tierods. Just wondering if that could cause all the problems or should I just be ready to replace the resistor block and relay as well. I'm having a friend do all the work for me, and we're going to a rent-a-bay place so I don't want to be wasting time having to run out and get stuff when we're paying for the bay by the hour. Where are abouts are the wires for blower motor. I could try and get at them and hook up the new motor I got just to test and see if it works before the weekend when we goto the garage so I can see if its the motor and if the new motor works. Pictures would help. I'm good with electronic electrical so I'm not worried about that, just never done much car work, so I don't know where anything is.
I always replace the Blower Relay when I replace the Blower Motor - always. I only replace the Resistor Block when the Blower Motor runs at high-speed only or does not run at all.
HeadlessHorseman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #191
HeadlessHorseman1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielaErler
Hi Everyone!

I just joined the club of 96-Dodge-Caravan-with-messed-up-heating-system owners about a week ago.

I just replaced the blower motor relay. I also wanted to replace the resistor block, but I noticed that the actual problem was with the resistor connecor which was completely fried. I called Napa, but they told me the connector per se needs to be ordered from the dealer himself - I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but I am sure there is one right here - they would only sell me that thing if they were to install the wires themselves, which makes about couple hundred bucks total, which I find ridiculous.

Hence, my question is: where on Earth can I order a resistor connector including the 5 wires... is there a place online? Anything?

Thanks a million for your help!

Cheers,
Daniela
Assuming your Dodge/Chrysler dealer is still in business, he should be happy to sell you the Resistor Block PIGTAIL you need. If not, find another dealer not suffering from dementia. There is a procedure in my original post about how to safely install this replacement pigtail, including marine-grade heat-shrink tubing (including lots of pictures). If you follow it word-for-word, you can't miss.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #192
LiquidPain
AF Newbie

Such a resource! Thanks for the info! I swapped out the resistor on my 2001 in below zero weather in about two minutes! The hardest part was making sure I didn't break the plastic of the glove box. Now I have to search for fixes for my wife's car. Thanks again!
LiquidPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #193
coopdavillage
AF Regular

Ok I think I might have a stumper but lets see. I have searched the entire thread and uless I missed it my issue wasnt listed.

The issue I am having is my fan has the standard issue where it will work on all positions but #4 but it also will stop blowing sometimes and it takes a kick to the blower motor housing to get it to start up.
The biggest issue is that tonight when my fan was turned on (dark outside) my gauge needles started flipping out, the odometer blanked out, the headlights were flickering and the stereo was having issues as well. then we stopped and the cab lights didnt come on and there was a clicking under the dash.
My instincts tell me that its possibly the relay but I wanted to get any opinions that might help.
If its all 3 items I think I'm giong to take it out back and shoot it......

thanks in advance
coopdavillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #194
Hanss
AF Newbie

I had the same problem with blower motor resistor on my Grand Caravan 2005. The Solutuion for this issue was pretty simple. Just change your TCO (thermal cutoff = thermal fuse). The original TCO has 240V/144°C/10A. You can try to find it at any Radioshack Store in the States, but it is problem to find the same one in Canada. I did check all electronic component strores in my area and there is no way how to get the original one 240V/144°C/10A.

However I found another solution for Canadian "Dodge Troublesh oters". You can use another TCO for 250V/141°C/15A from NTE brand Part# NTE8139. Technical specs are here: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/8000to8999/pdf/TCOs.pdf)

As far as the amperage for NTE8139 TCO is 10A continuous and original one is 10A also the 15A on NTE8139 is a Max. peak amperage. So it is fine to use a TCO that is higher rated than the one in dodge application but not one that is less. As far as the temperature rating fot NTE8139 TCO is almost the same, because the TCO tolerance is +/- 4°C you can use it.

You can easily find it for $1.68 CDN at any electronic component stores or Radio Source stores Canada wide. In Ottawa area you can find it at Reset Electronic store or Active components store (check yellowpages for contact details).

There is no sense to buy a new thermal resistor ($40.00 CDN) because you have no guaranry that it's gonna work for a long time.
Hanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #195
HeadlessHorseman1
AF Regular

Just a couple of notes...

First, *thank you* everyone who came back and posted the results of the efforts to resolves their heating problems, especially if you had to create a new Automotive Forums account to do it... your follow up comments are enlightening and add immensely to the overall value of this thread!

Secondly, if you are trying to fix a 1999 Caravan or older and you have not yet replaced your Blower Motor RELAY as suggested, please DO IT! If you don't, worn and pitted contacts of the old relay will eventually provide less than full amperage/power from reaching the blower motor, preventing the motor from spinning at full RPM.

Old Blower Motor RELAY contacts can also weld themselves together in the closed position, causing the blower motor to continue running even after you have stopped the engine and removed the key... if this happens in cold weather, you will either very quickly run the battery dead or have to disconnect the battery to prevent this from happening.

Don't get caught away from home with kids in the car when this happens!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager