Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 04:58 PM   #1
Apache2223
AF Newbie

1995 TP 3.1l TBI ignition timing wire?

Hello. Is there a wire to unplug as I adjust the timing on a 1995 TP 3.1l TBI? Just installed a new distributor and need to set timing. Thanks!
Apache2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 07:50 PM   #2
1995TS
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 TP 3.1l TBI ignition timing wire?

Yes there is, the EST has to to bypassed.
It is a single tan wire, with a black stripe, attached to the engine wiring harness at the right shock tower. Unplug the connector , and set the timing to specs
Good Luck
1995TS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1995TS For This Useful Post:
Apache2223 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 10:06 PM   #3
Apache2223
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995TS View Post
Yes there is, the EST has to to bypassed.
It is a single tan wire, with a black stripe, attached to the engine wiring harness at the right shock tower. Unplug the connector , and set the timing to specs
Good Luck
Hey, thanks for the reply! I've looked for that tan/black wire for days and there is no single wires anywhere under the hood. There ia a tan/black wire that runs with a bunch of other wires, inside a jacket, from the distributor to the right wheel well. The wires run to a junction block that you can unplug using a 1/4" socket. The plug is about the size of a deck of cards. So am I supposed to unplug the whole junction block of wires?
Old 06-21-2024, 08:11 AM   #4
1995TS
AF Newbie

Info I had posted was from hanes manual, GM manual slightly different as follows:
Follow Vehicle Emission Control Information label attached to front right shock tower. If missing or unreadable use following procedure:. Check at operating temp and A/C off.

transmission in neutral or park, parking brake set

Service engine soon light off

set the Ignition control in bypass mode by grounding the circuit.
IC bypass circuit is a single tan wire with a black stripe and connector that breaks out from the engine harness located adjacent to the RH shock tower

Set timing, the line of the balancer or pulley will line up with the timing mark

Disconnect Ignition Control bypass wire from ground and clear any remaining codes.

Sorry not able to help more, not familiar with the 3.1, never worked on them
The Following User Says Thank You to 1995TS For This Useful Post:
Apache2223 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 10:26 PM   #5
Apache2223
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995TS View Post
Info I had posted was from hanes manual, GM manual slightly different as follows:
Follow Vehicle Emission Control Information label attached to front right shock tower. If missing or unreadable use following procedure:. Check at operating temp and A/C off.

transmission in neutral or park, parking brake set

Service engine soon light off

set the Ignition control in bypass mode by grounding the circuit.
IC bypass circuit is a single tan wire with a black stripe and connector that breaks out from the engine harness located adjacent to the RH shock tower

Set timing, the line of the balancer or pulley will line up with the timing mark

Disconnect Ignition Control bypass wire from ground and clear any remaining codes.

Sorry not able to help more, not familiar with the 3.1, never worked on them
Actually, you're the only one on 5 different forums that has answered any of my Trans Sport questions, so thank you! Been so busy, haven't had time to check this. I'm not sure what it means by "set Ignition control in bypass mode by grounding the circuit." I finally found the set timing tan/black wire, but only found half of it. The part that I'm assuming goes to the ECM maybe? It was in a jacket with several other wires and, of course, unplugged from the rest of the wire. I opened every jacket of wires, but there is no other half of the tan/black wire, that should be going to the ignition module. So the van has been running without this wire plugged in. I'm going to go out and find the wire, or where it is supposed to be, at the distributor. If it is missing, maybe I can run a wire from there to the other half, over by the right shock tower. This van has been a pain to work on. Removed the old sway bar bushings and had to use a map gas torch to burn the rubber bushings out of the brackets they were in! It was like they were made as one piece. Like you weren't supposed to be able to replace just the rubber bushing. I ordered new bushings and went to install them....the holes in the bushings are way too big. They are a little over 1" in diameter and the sway bar ends where they go, are under 1"
. I specified "ends", because only about 3" on each end of the sway bar is under 1". The rest of the sway bar is over 1". And I can't find any info whatsoever on wtf is going on with that...lol. And to top it off, it has been between 105 and 117 degrees in my garage the past 4 days. So very frustrating all around!
Old 06-23-2024, 10:28 PM   #6
Apache2223
AF Newbie

Oh, and btw, I have never had the service engine light come on, besides when the key is in accessory position.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:19 AM   #7
1995TS
AF Newbie

It sounds like you have found the EST bypass wire, it should be that tan/black wire with a connector on it, but not connected to anything. That is the wire you connect a ground wire to to set the timing. Once done, remove the ground wire or I suspect you will not get any ignition advance.
As far as sway bar bushings go, there are 2 sets. One inner, bolted to the frame, the other outer, bolted to the lower control arm. They are listed as 2 different part numbers, so may be different sizes, not sure. When I get a chance will see if the manual provides any further info
Old 06-24-2024, 03:07 PM   #8
Apache2223
AF Newbie

Ok, great! I'm about to set the timing and I was going to use a piece of rubber hose on the end of the sway bar and put the bushings over it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport