Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
jayqueezy
AF Newbie

2000 Impala 3.4l Supercharged

I have a 3.4l impala. i just started adding to it. so far i have a new intake and a dual straight pipe exhaust. now i want to supercharge it without having to pay thousands of dollars, so i found some used superchargers but they're for a 3.8 and i was wondering if it would fit without any major modifications? thanks for any feedback
jayqueezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
57chevyragtop
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to 57chevyragtop
Re: 2000 Impala 3.4l Supercharged

Can't really help you with the super charger, don't know of any made specifically for the 3400 engine. But I am curious as to what you you mean by you having a new intake, what's different about it? Mfg? I have not seen any build up parts for this engine mentioned anywhere. You can find such things for about every other chevy engine ever built even the 2.2 4banger.
57chevyragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
jayqueezy
AF Newbie

a new intake as in not that huge black box (stock intake). i have a custom cold air intake with a k & n filter on it..... some of my friends told me i can just bore my cylinder walls 40 over so i can use the 3.8 supercharger.....any comments?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
57chevyragtop
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to 57chevyragtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayqueezy
a new intake as in not that huge black box (stock intake). i have a custom cold air intake with a k & n filter on it..... some of my friends told me i can just bore my cylinder walls 40 over so i can use the 3.8 supercharger.....any comments?
OK, I get you, the air box is not the "intake" just simply the air box. The intake is is the distributon of air to the intake valves after moving through the trottlebody and fuel is mixed from injectors at the intake valve ports. I do not know af any aftermarket intakes for the 3400 engine and think they are the same accross the GM line using this engine. I think it not a good idea to do as suggested by "friends". There is a great deal more involved than just adding a supercharger. Even if you had the standard 3.8 it can not be done. There are several differences in the parts designed into the OEM supercharged 3.8's to handle the extra HP/TQ. You would be much better off trading up to that model if you really want that feature. Plus you would destroy the resale value of what you have.
57chevyragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
jayqueezy
AF Newbie

oh ok thanks. i understand
Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
bigjoe5678
AF Newbie

Hey i was wonder cuz i wanted to put a supercharger in mine i got a 3.8 how much did u paid for it ???
bigjoe5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
benztech82
AF Newbie

Hey guys just to let you in on a little tidbit of info for the supercharger question.....On the 3800 L36 (naturally aspirated) the bosses for the fuel injectors are in the intake manifold, BUT, on the L67 (supercharged) the bosses for the fuel injectors are in the cylinder heads due to the fact that the supercharger takes up almost all of the manifold. This leaves you with the problem of having to swap not only the intakes but also the cylinder heads. I'm not sure if any of the 3800 parts will fit the 3400. I do know that ZZ Performance makes and modifies parts to swap an L36 engine to supercharged using a modified intake manifold and an OE Eaton M90 Supercharger. This also produces more Horspower than the L67 due to the higher compression ration of the L36 engine from the factory. I would like to Know where you go with this. I'm thinking about upgrading my 2000 impala 3800 to the supercharged version using the parts I mentioned earlier. keep us updated.
benztech82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #8
troy1
AF -Advisor

No SC wont fit at all 3.4 is a 60*V6 and the 3.8L is a 90*V6. Your friends don't know anything about cars/engines you can't just bore out an engine for the desired displacement and use parts from that engine.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
crazy Jim
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayqueezy
greatness

current vehicles:
'02 Impala LS 3.8L
'02 Trans Am WS6 LS1 6spd
'99 Grand Am SE 3.4L
'71 Cutlass SX 455/TH400
'04 YZ450F
'07 Kona Garbonzo (dowwnhill mountain bike)
crazy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:01 AM   #10
Trappdinzen
AF Newbie

As far as I know there's not a lot you can do to the 3.4. The 3.8 supercharger simply won't work. You could possibly do a turbo setup. But when it comes to the intake you can swap the 3.4 intake with a 3.5 intake.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=xSYeEKbA...SIkaIECMiOmarE
Trappdinzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 12:16 PM   #11
maxwedge
A990 racer

Welcome to AF. Check the dates before posting, this an inactive 16 year old thread.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS