Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
ah91
AF Newbie

2005 Camry LE, strange problem

Hi,

Had an odd problem when starting my car this morning (this is a 2005 Camry LE). The ignition came on fine, but I realized basically all the dashboard gauges were out. I think the only ones working were the gear light and the headlight light. The car also refused to shift out of park—this is an automatic transmission. I shut the car off and tried a second time, a few minutes later. Same thing: the car turned on, but no dash displays and the car wouldn't shift out of park.

I was thinking this might be a fuse issue (?) and went inside to research. But about 10 minutes later, I went out and gave it another try, and everything seemed normal. So now I'm very confused.

Only other thing to add, I don't know if this could have any relation: it snowed about 4-6 inches last night. I have good snow tires and despite the low clearance was gonna give it a go to get out of the driveway, without having the neighbor plow. So prior to this whole saga starting, I shoveled out the car and drove in reverse through the snow, like 30-40 feet, just to see how it went. It seemed fine, so I drove back to my parking spot and shut the car off. I was about to turn the car around and try driving out forward when this whole error started.

ANY THOUGHTS? THANKS!
ah91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:28 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 2005 Camry LE, strange problem

Have you opened the hood to look for any snow packed around the fuse or relay box, or the wire harness going into the fuse/relay box.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #3
ah91
AF Newbie

Thanks for reply. Yes—fuse box in the engine looks fine. Engine in general looks fine, doesn't really look like too much snow/water got in.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:57 AM   #4
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

My reaction was also fuses, and you didn't say whether you checked them. There might be a fuse that control all the stuff that is not working. Maybe more than one.

I've found that sometimes I have to CHANGE fuses or at least move them. Moving them makes for better contact.

Pro Tip: Batteries work the same way. A bit of movement not only gets better contact, but it also agitates the battery to get that last bit of power out if them.

Visit my website: http://www.barrystiretech.com/
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
ah91
AF Newbie

Thanks for your reply. Whoops, yes, I did check fuses. They all looked OK to me.

I started to think this might be a battery or battery connection problem. The battery in this car is getting pretty old, and there's some corrosion on top (not terrible I think, but does not look great).
Old 03-01-2022, 07:30 AM   #6
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah91 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Whoops, yes, I did check fuses. They all looked OK to me.

I started to think this might be a battery or battery connection problem. The battery in this car is getting pretty old, and there's some corrosion on top (not terrible I think, but does not look great).
Nope, your symptoms don't point to a battery problem. They point to a fuse or related problem.

Again, fuses may look good, but they might not be in good contact with the mating surfaces. Plus, I have found that what I think are good fuses in the fuse box, turn out to have a burnt spot when I remove them and examine them from a different angle.

Visit my website: http://www.barrystiretech.com/
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista