Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
cruiser69
AF Newbie

Front End Noise

I have 06 Impala 3.9L with 80k on it. I am hearing a whirring noise from the front end. I just replaced both front wheel bearings so it is not them. I am feeling a vibration in the gas pedal a little and cornering is worse. There is no clicking or anything when cornering but could this be a bad CV axle? Both tires are in good condition so I do not think it is coming from them. I can't think of what else it could be.
cruiser69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Front End Noise

A noise coming from the front end of a front wheel drive car that gets worse when turning corners is usually either a bad cv shaft or a problem inside the differential.
If it's a cv shaft and you catch it early, you might not have to replace the entire shaft, but just the spider gears inside the joint which is often much cheaper than a whole new shaft.
If it's the differential, that's a whole new issue. It's a much bigger job than a cv shaft. Both cv shafts have to be either disconnected from the differential or removed entirely, then the differential has to be removed from the end of the transmission and opened up to inspect all the gears and seals.
I would say check the cv shafts first. They usually make more of a clicking/grinding sound when they go bad, but you never know. If they're ok, it may be differential related. The only other thing I can think of is an issue with the power steering system.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
cruiser69
AF Newbie

I will check CV shafts and power steering. I am leaning toward the CV shafts since when you corner on the highway around 60 you can really feel a rumble in the front end and the vibration in the gas pedal. If I replace the CV shafts should both be done?
Old 04-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Don't just get them replaced, get them checked first since there may be nothing wrong with them. If there is a problem with one cv joint, get that one fixed and if the other one is ok leave it alone. Any mechanic who tries to tell you they both have to be replaced if only one is bad is full of sh*t and trying to take you for a ride.
If you have you cv shafts/joints checked out and they're ok, the next thing would be the power steering system. Again, get it checked, don't just go replacing parts until it's been confirmed that they need replacing.
The reason I say check the cv shafts and power steering first is because if it is the differential, it's going to be a much more expensive job. For that reason you want to investigate the less expensive possibilities first.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
la1
AF Regular

Could be bad ball joints or other suspension part or control arm. Usually bad CV joints manifest themselves with clicking while turning at low speed. Leaking CV boot. Or at speed going straight on the highway thinking one or more tires are out of balance.
la1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
cruiser69
AF Newbie

Ended up replacing the driver's side cv shaft. Inner part was bad and had a lot of play in it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS