Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
dorlow
AF Regular

need to wire a headlight reminder buzzer

I have a 2004 impala. I have an aftermarket radio installed. Long story short, the guy that installed it couldn't put in an aftermarket chime to the aftermarket radio due to some wiring issues. But I would like to make a buzzer to just remind me if I leave my lights on. I bought a buzzer from radio shack. One wire has to go to the headlights and one wire has to go to a circuit that is hot when the car is on and not hot if the car is off.

I see the headlight fuse but it has a bolt through it and I'm not sure how to get it off. I took the bolt out and still couldn't get to the fuse (in the drivers door.). Also need a good recommendation of a circuit that is hot if the key is on and not hot if its off.
dorlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
dorlow
AF Regular

Re: need to wire a headlight reminder buzzer

Oh, BTW, I was trying to follow a way one guy on the internet showed he could just pinch the wires in the fuse box vs splicing wires. So I want to get the light fuse out to put the wire in the fuse plug.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

You don't have to put in an aftermarket chime, you need to just buy the right harness that keeps the chimes.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
dorlow
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
You don't have to put in an aftermarket chime, you need to just buy the right harness that keeps the chimes.
That's not an option. When I first paid Best Buy to put this radio in, they did just that. But the reason why I was having an after market radio installed was because I was getting dead batteries. Turns out the factory harness has been hacked quite a bit. They couldn't warranty a quality install using the factory harness, so I told them to bypass the factory harness and run a new one knowing it would disable all the factory features with the system dings. So, getting a different harness isn't an option. They wired my radio in like they were wiring a radio into a 70s car. Bypassed everything. But on the plus side, since they've done this, I haven't had one dead battery.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS