Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
fdg
AF Newbie

O/D switch off

hello. I just bought a 03 windstar. 160000 miles
engine and transmission sounds good and works well
but O/D LIGHT is always off.
which first step do you suggest me to solve it ?
thanks
fdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Kirk Franks
AF Newbie

Re: O/D switch off

FDG,
I have a 2000 but assume your veihicle will be similar.
I will post a question to clarify your condition and then offer some very basic information since the car is new to you.

When you state your problem do you really mean that the light is off or did you really mean that the light is on saying that the "OD is off."
If the lignt is off that is the normal driving condition.
if the light is on saying OD is off then this is also normal, but oontrolled by a switch on the end of the transmission (gear shift) lever. There is a small button switch on the end of the transmission lever that allows the OD to be switched off (light willl then come on to remind you.) Check this switch by pressing once ( repeat as needed) to see if the light goes off. Normaly we don't use the OD off switch unless driving through the mountains or something similar where the OD causes the engine rpm to be too low and lugg or the tranny switches back and forth between OD and non OD often.

If the switch on the end of the lever does not work that would be the first place I would look for a fix (sorry but I don't have any knowledge or details to offer.) If the problem is not in the switch then you would need to delve deaper and I don't want to consider what that may involve.

Good luck with your problem.
Welcome to the Windstar repair club.

Edit in- Forgot to say if the problem really is the the light doen not come on to please check the bulb as a first start. This involves removing the dash and is a pain, but is do able. You might consider checking at highway speed to see if the OD off swtch does function does work ( at speed car in in OD press swich and you can tell that the OD goes off.) If this is the case you may decide it is OK to leave it alone untill you have better cause to remove the dash for more than one bulb.
Kirk Franks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Franks For This Useful Post:
fdg (11-24-2013)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar