Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
trox
AF Regular

2000 2.2 A/T slips

I rebuilt this 4L60E trans about 35k ago. Replaced seals and disks. Drained original fluid after first 1000 or so miles and refilled. Seemed to work well for over a year until now. My son was heading to school yesterday morning and about 5 miles out with the cruise control on, the engine started to rev. When he realized the trans was slipping he hit the brake to knock the cruise off. He said on the phone that the truck felt like it was in neutral and wouldn't move in any gear or reverse. As he was sitting on a narrow shoulder discussing this with me and the engine off for about 5 minutes, I told him to try to get it to a driveway and off the road. He started it up and it seemed OK. Then it started slipping again within a minute. He got into a drive where it stayed the rest of the day. I got to it that afternoon and checked the fluid was up and it is maybe 1 half qt down but it really smells burnt. I had been keeping an eye on the level but not the smell. I don't haul heavy loads or pull anything so didn't expect to wear the fluid out this quick. Anyway, I started it up and it went into reverse normally, went into drive normally so I headed home. I got about 2 miles from home when cruising at about 65 in converter lockup and all looking good, the trans dropped out of lockup, then started slipping so I coasted in neutral down to the next stop and made the turn. I put it back in drive and it seemed to pull a little but not enough to climb the small hill in front of me. I shut it down thinking I would come back in a couple hours and get it the rest of the way home. Told the wife who was behind me that I was going to lock it up and come back later so when I got back in it, I thought after 5 minutes I'd try it and it worked enough to get me over the hill and it was a short run down hill to my place. Once the house was in sight, I tried to goose it a little and could feel it slip. QUESTION: Do you think if I replace the burnt fluid and filter and look for obvious damage and metal in the pan it might be OK or has it gone beyond the point of no return?
trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2000 2.2 A/T slips

most likely something cracked causing a loss in pressure. as the fluid heats up with lower presssures then it drops out.

breakin it down and see what is in need of replacing. clean out the torque converter the best you can.

replacing fluid/filter is not gonna fix this.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
trox
AF Regular

Thanks jcat. I'm really thinking of going with a standard in this case. The gas mileage wasn't too good with the A/T anyway. Any thoughts on the Auto to manual swap?
trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trox View Post
Thanks jcat. I'm really thinking of going with a standard in this case. The gas mileage wasn't too good with the A/T anyway. Any thoughts on the Auto to manual swap?
I would stick with the a/t . had a 94 s10 with a 5sp not good on fuel.

you would need alot of mods to do this switch . cost too much for a vehicle of limited value and future use.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10